Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #31
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Well, I loved the AU XR look the moment I saw it and I had no doubt I was going to get one at some stage.
I had an EB Monty V8 so I was initially looking for an XR8 however the cars in my price range were VERY rough at the time so, after seeing the VCT on the web, I called them and the rest is history.
Strangely enough most of my cars have been en exception to the norm. The XD was a GL with more features than most Fairmonts at the time..and a 4 speed. The EB was a 1992 V8... not too common (although not "rare") and the XR is a VCT.

I have been bagged many MANY times over my car. Being an AU1 and a VCT it was the "ugly" AU XR model with the "old mans" HAD engine. Almost all the bagging came from other Ford owners too. Strangely the VCT engine no longer cops much of a bagging anymore...funny about that.

I love my AU, have no interest in changing car and, when I do, it will be a T3.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #32
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

With late model Falcons, I have progressd from a EBII XR8 to ED XR8 and then a AU XR8 in 2002. The EBII I had back in 1995 when I was 20 years old. There have been a few other cars inbetween (never ever owned a Holden : ), but I always ended up in a XR8 sooner or later. Naturally, when it was time to update, the BA XR8 was on the list. Wasn't impressed with the BA XR8. "Everything" taken into consideration, the AU XR8 was better than the BA XR8 bar the power of the BA, but even then the throttle response of the BA ruined it, turbo lag comes to mind. When I took the BA for it's second test drive (just to make sure), and gave it some through some familiar roads as I have done in the AU, I didn't like the way the BA handled, not as well as the AU IMO. The AU XR8 stayed, lowered it and fitted T3 rims to it.

Jan 2004 I started looking at other cars, something different was on the list. Twin turbo Supra, '02 WRX and R33 Skyline was on the top of the list. Wanted to own a "Jap crap, turbo ricer mobile" for a change, although the three cars above are far from being crap. Then I came across a AU1 TS50. Memories of me drooling over it's little brother, the TE50 at the 1999 Melbourne Motor Show came back to me. The TS50 was a dream back then, and here was my chance to make it a reality. The AU1 TS50 had everything I wanted. Awesome looks, the V8, luxury, it was black like the previous XR8's and it was something different and unique. It came down to a 12th round decision between a '02 WRX I was considering, and the TS50. Needless to say, WRX was knocked out at the end of round 12. Bye bye XR8, hello TS50. I have been so impressed with this car, don't think I'll be getting another car anytime soon. Maybe a second car (WRX??.. :nutsycuck) so I can keep the TS50 for w'ends, as it's starting to show signs of everyday use (stone chips, couple of shopping trolley/door dings), but I love driving the TS, and I try not to think of getting a second car too much... he he.

Why did I buy an AU? Love the look of the XR8 and the T-series cars, in particular, the AU1 TS50, just feels right to me.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 02:03 PM   #33
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK
With late model Falcons, I have progressd from a EBII XR8 to ED XR8 and then a AU XR8 in 2002. The EBII I had back in 1995 when I was 20 years old. There have been a few other cars inbetween (never ever owned a Holden : ), but I always ended up in a XR8 sooner or later. Naturally, when it was time to update, the BA XR8 was on the list. Wasn't impressed with the BA XR8. "Everything" taken into consideration, the AU XR8 was better than the BA XR8 bar the power of the BA, but even then the throttle response of the BA ruined it, turbo lag comes to mind. When I took the BA for it's second test drive (just to make sure), and gave it some through some familiar roads as I have done in the AU, I didn't like the way the BA handled, not as well as the AU IMO. The AU XR8 stayed, lowered it and fitted T3 rims to it.

Jan 2004 I started looking at other cars, something different was on the list. Twin turbo Supra, '02 WRX and R33 Skyline was on the top of the list. Wanted to own a "Jap crap, turbo ricer mobile" for a change, although the three cars above are far from being crap. Then I came across a AU1 TS50. Memories of me drooling over it's little brother, the TE50 at the 1999 Melbourne Motor Show came back to me. The TS50 was a dream back then, and here was my chance to make it a reality. The AU1 TS50 had everything I wanted. Awesome looks, the V8, luxury, it was black like the previous XR8's and it was something different and unique. It came down to a 12th round decision between a '02 WRX I was considering, and the TS50. Needless to say, WRX was knocked out at the end of round 12. Bye bye XR8, hello TS50. I have been so impressed with this car, don't think I'll be getting another car anytime soon. Maybe a second car (WRX??.. :nutsycuck) so I can keep the TS50 for w'ends, as it's starting to show signs of everyday use (stone chips, couple of shopping trolley/door dings), but I love driving the TS, and I try not to think of getting a second car too much... he he.

Why did I buy an AU? Love the look of the XR8 and the T-series cars, in particular, the AU1 TS50, just feels right to me.
Ahhh the TS50. We were thinking of getting one towards the end of the year but we've put it off until mid next year. My thinking is that the longer we save - the less finance we need to take out. Can't wait for it
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 02:18 PM   #34
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

ive never driven one a TE or TS. I learned to drive in an AU wagon and GT-P. then on my p's went straight into my AU1 Forte, quickly hating not having the balls like the GT i turboed the Forte and worked the suspension. I love it, my bros AU3 XR8 also has nothing on my humble Forte
au-steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #35
Bangers

I bought my AU2 cos I got a good deal ($11,000, for at the time a 2 year old car) was awesome.

Otherwise I would have gone a Honda. Either Integra/Civic or Prelude VTI-R.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 05:13 PM   #36
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers
I bought my AU2 cos I got a good deal ($11,000, for at the time a 2 year old car) was awesome.

Otherwise I would have gone a Honda. Either Integra/Civic or Prelude VTI-R.
Please, elaborate on this.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 06:34 PM   #37
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

i bought an AU II ute simply because its better then the holden varient.

in my opinion anyway,

as i intended to modify either, i found the ford to be a better base to stat from ( before getting my ute, i was reluctant to even sit in the falcon, let alone drive it )

however the cabin space suited me better, the 4L was alot smoother then the 3.8 commy, the gearbox was heaps smoother, and all in all, i had heard of many turbo 4L puttin out a fair whack of power, whereas the only turbo v6's i had heard of/seen didnt quite rate so well, or so i thought.

so i got the ford as i just found it to be a better car more or less, it was slightly cheaper but that wasnt the sellign point, the layout was.
borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #38
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

It was mid 2002. The AU's were copping a lot of flack in the V8 supercars. The Series III's were getting close to winding down in production, whilst the T3's were kicking HSV's butt to the curb.

Darky comes on scene after checking out some used BMW's and Mercs. He wasn't looking for base model AU's at the time but was coaxed into a test drive in a Forte from the back seat (you see he didn't have his licence back then).

However he did take a real liking to the AUIII XR's then still in the showrooms, always wanting a Tickford (ever since EL days when he sat in one) and possibly an XR8, knowing this would be out of reach, was chanting away "XR6....XR6.....XR6" throughout the test drive in the Forte. Much to the dealer's entertainment for the afternoon, which would turn into a very long evening indeed (he didn't know that at the time, Darky was testing this guys' patience.)

There wasn't very much Darky didn't like about the XR's, in fact he had absolutely no gripes with any of the features whatsoever. So quickly being pointed to a very lonely looking one out on the lot, he didn't muck around with signing the papers, and took it home the following day, after all dealer options were fitted.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:39 PM   #39
richardxr8

I was looking for a replacement for a EB XR8, and the AU's were in the price range (As were some EL's, but I prefer AU look to EL..)
Must haves for me, were V8, IRS, Fairmont dash/climate control and leather steering wheel/gear knob, and in immaculate condition. Basicaly I had to find a Ghia, or an optioned Fairmont (IRS + V8) - The XR's dont really take my fancy. I hadnt even thought about a T-series cause I didnt think I'd ever find a "good" one, especially as the condition of AU xr8 's is so variable... Well, I took a look at an advertised one (TE50), on the off chance it was OK, and damn me if it wasnt absolutely immaculate - A very very clean and original car. It was also VERY quiet and refined, but handled and went great. The TE50 is really a grown ups XR !
After 10,000Km, it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
My Wife and I have had a Monaro previously, and the TE is every bit as nice and refined, just a lot more subtle. It is a MUCH better car to drive than ANY Commondore, it just doesnt have the Stick of the GenIII.....
I have since driven BA's, and my opinion is the TE is better in the ride/handling department, just as quiet/refined, but lacks the out and out stick of the 5.4
Theres no reason I can see for me to upgrade any time near...
richardxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #40
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I bought my AU II XR8 because I was in the market for my 1st new vehicle and my 1st V8 and I loved the look of the AU XR's and still do, in a way I find them more appealing then the BA, that's just me, they have a uniqueness about them, you either love em or hate em, I got a great deal on this new vehicle as Ford were willing to do deal's and discount heavly to move the AU's, and the rest is history, I have no regreat's in buying the vehicle, just buying brand new and loosing so much but that's the way it goes and everybody has to atleast once in their life buy a new vehicle and get that satisfaction of having your own brand new machine.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #41
buickman
buickman

When I purchased mine it was a demo with 3,000kms in 2000. The AU2's had not long been released & it was either a S2 VT or AU ford. I origanally planed to buy a AU2 XR8.But $45,000 on the road was a bit steep. The thing that stopped me in the end from getting the XR models was the dash layout to much like the low spec cars. Ford should of put the TS dashes in the VCT's & V8 spec ones to make them unique from the futura's.
Why the 6 over the 8 I looked at running costs more than a better sound and slightly better performance. In the end I went for a ghia with the VCT and wanting to travel a lot has stopped me from updating it as the car has been reliable and the $30,000 + and my car (BA XR) for something I drive to work and back I cannot justify.
buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #42
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Just like the look

As an 'old man' now a days I just like the look of my AU II (Monsoon Blue).

The price was great when I bought it for the kms on the car. I'd driven and AU I and II wagon and sedan previously at work.
I think colour has a big impact for the AUII and III's. I wouldn't buy a white AU.
I have owned an RX7 (Gun metal Grey 13 B motor). It was fast, sporty etc but I could only get me and the wife it in. No good for kids. ( I got rid of it because I lost 7 points in a month, if I had kept it I would have lost my license.)

My 20 yr thinks its OK, (he is very happy with his 1st car an EB Fairmont).

I think time will decide if the AU was a good design or not.

Some cars hold their look over time others look like crap after 10 years (e.g any of the early Mazdas or the old Datsun 1600, OK then but look yuk now)
Jsmilie:
Uncle_Ken (40 something)
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2005, 11:38 AM   #43
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought the wife an AU1 wagon, cause it was cheap, had low k's and she wanted one.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:01 PM   #44
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I got an au cause they look good with a t3 kit and some wheels. Though I kind of regret it now cause the auto's are so damn slow and I don't wanna lose a great deal of money doing up the engine.

I can't stand au1's though with those little brakes and the interior/exterior styling mainly on the base model.

Most of my friends own au's now even one has a manual i6 and thats not much faster :(
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2005, 06:05 PM   #45
xr8ute
Back on the road

I bought my AU (black XR8) because I thought it looked hot...

...and because I knew it had the GT40p heads, explorer manifolds, bigger MAF, bigger injectors blah blah over the earlier V8's. Always planned on modifying later.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2005, 01:04 AM   #46
SVR73
Mr Polish

Default your not alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by au-steve
hmmmm, i feel wierd for loving my car so much now. surely there has to be someone who likes AUs and didnt just come across one by chance or to save money?
Don't worry mate, your not alone
Have to go back to late august 1998, AU's release. I spent some time for three days straight at rebel ford in SA, looking for faults/weaknesses/bad design/poor interior finish and more and found nothing of that kind
Drove a forte for a while and took it down a street in elizabeth west (davoren park as it's called now) which at the time was like a motocross track with huge potholes and big bumps in the road
After the drive I was hooked.
I've always loved the shape of the car but the wheels and tires package ford completely stuffed up so I choose galaxy blue color and decided I would get some better wheels for it.
Then I went to maughan thiem ford and saw the forte they had there. Immediately I wanted it.
From sep 23 for four years it turned heads and kept doing it because of the changes I made to it, especially the interior
The bodyshape is great, the car just needed to be low, have a big single or bi plane spoiler, a wheel arch gap that's no more than an inch, better interior finish (in a few areas) and a deeper rear bumper and ford would have sold more

If the Falcon S & SR were the base model, I reckon the sales would have been far better.
Still love AU's and always will. The front side panels, rear quarter and the roof are awesome.
Even today the design still looks fresh
The carpet, headlining, engine bay and boot materials are superb and as for reliability, simply amazing.

Series III XR's are my favourite but S1 XR is also great.
My forte was a 205kw I6 and it didn't take alot to get that so when you compare that with a heavier, less aerodynamic BA with 182 kw, I prefer my AU.

After being notified that the forte was unrepairable back in august 04, I thought about getting a BA but I just can't live without an AU and this was the chance to get a tickford xr.

I bought the AU because there wasn't another large car on the market that looked as good and they are far superior to drive compared to the holdens and magna's

Last edited by SVR73; 05-02-2005 at 01:08 AM.
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 05:16 PM   #47
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Please, elaborate on this.
What do you mean? Whats there to elaborate?

I got the car for $11,000 because my mums company was getting rid of it. Market value was 17k at the time, I figured worst thing that could happen is I hate the car, and sell it for $16k on carsales But I fell in love with it, so no complaints from me.

However, I will admit, the new love of my life is my new Honda CBR250RR
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #48
8pAc
RDP #181

My first ford was an ed fairmont, it drove real nice by the time i finished with it and was reluctant to let it go but when repair cost are getting high its time for a trade in. I grabbed a series 3 xr8 with only 36 thousand on it so im stoked. So much nicer to drive than the fairmont its stance on the road feels so much firmer. I couldnt go backwards with cars ever again i think.
8pAc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 08:03 PM   #49
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blame the Mrs. I had a nice SS lined up, but she wanted the ford. So thus, I have an AU.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post