Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2014, 01:41 AM   #31
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2015 Mustang Australian Price

I've had two mustangs and was eagerly awaiting the new one in my garage, but at that price, they've just lost another sale.

Base jeep cherokee in the USA is us$29,595, base JGC in Aus is au$44K, Premium Ecoboost Mustang is the US is us$29,170 and GT us$32,100. using the JGC figures as a rough guide it's not unreasonable to expect the Ecoboost Stang to be circa au$45k and the GT circa $49k.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 02:07 AM   #32
GAFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
I've had two mustangs and was eagerly awaiting the new one in my garage, but at that price, they've just lost another sale.

Base jeep cherokee in the USA is us$29,595, base JGC in Aus is au$44K, Premium Ecoboost Mustang is the US is us$29,170 and GT us$32,100. using the JGC figures as a rough guide it's not unreasonable to expect the Ecoboost Stang to be circa au$45k and the GT circa $49k.
Those prices do not include the performance pack which will be standard on the Australian version. The Australian version will most likely include SYNC 2, so you need to fact in the cost of these (via the build calculator). Once included the Premium prices are higher than $29,170 and $32,100.
GAFA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 03:06 AM   #33
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Ford Oz should do
$45k for the 4 cyl turbo
$50k for the NA 5.0 V8
$52k for the 3.5 V6 turbo
$65k for the 5.0 V8 turbo GT500

$5k premium for convertible (same as US).
So my prediction last year was a little off then. Off by $5k for the EcoBoost and $10k-15k for the GT. Obviously $70k would be for the convertible GT. I also assume all Aussie Mustangs get the premium package or whatever it is called.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #34
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks GAFA,

I couldn't find a performance pack on the Ecoboost Premium, only had an Equipment pack 201A and as standard, it says it has Sync and couldn't find sync2.

Premium GT is actually us$36,100 and has Sync and no performance pack available that I could see neither, I'd guess Ford Au will bring out the Premiums only so the GT Premium should only be around au$55k, add say $2k for auto.

Top of the line would be an auto premium GT convertible, around us$42,800.

As a comparison, the Chrysler 300 SRT core goes for us$46,900 and In Aus, it's au$56K, the 300c, us$37,395 an here it's au$46,500.

Those prices are the MSRPs from the US Chrysler website and EGC from Redbook.com.au, if Chrysler can do competitive pricing with a tiny volume car like the 300, Ford should easily be able to do it.

Overpricing it in today's market isn't going to work for long and will drive the likes of me (life long Ford man/new car buyer) away from the brand sadly, and I'm the very buyer ford desperately need to keep.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 04:16 AM   #35
Juan Loco

Haha. It's funny, all those who mused that a 4 cylinder Mustang would be ok, and are now complaining at the inevitable price tag.
If there were two or three models, from $50 to $70k, and the base model was still a V8, I think people would buy. But realistically who WANTS a 4 cylinder Mustang?
I'm sure the EB4 will be plenty powerful, and more than adequate in its own way (not to mention economical.) But who buys a MUSTANG for those qualities?
If it was $35k, and you could say "wow I got a new Mustang for $35k" I'm sure some would put up with the embarrassment just to own a new Mustang. But I think it was always going to be a premium model with a premium price.

All things being considered, I think the price range is about what you'd expect. Keeping in mind that you'll surely be able to negotiate and find demonstrator models cheaper, but again I just feel nobody really wants to pay a premium price for a 4 cylinder Mustang.
Juan Loco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #36
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loco View Post
I'm sure some would put up with the embarrassment just to own a new Mustang.
Are you saying that a 2.3L turbo Mustang is "embarrassing?" Did I get that right?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 05:30 AM   #37
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Are you saying that a 2.3L turbo Mustang is "embarrassing?" Did I get that right?
As good as a donk as it may be, I'd avoid it if I were buying a muzzy
Old 18-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #38
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Dont see many off them selling that price in NZ. I was considering them as a future car in a few years but Im definitely going 2nd hand GTR at those prices!
I just based that of the fact we normally pay at least $10k more for Falcons, but when you actually compare both countries dollar against the US$ ours was a fraction stronger (yesterday) so the price maybe better than expected.

You and I both know what it costs to get a LHD across from the states and the associated compliancing. With our relatively strong dollar there is no way we should be paying more than $65k for a GT Premium with PP.

It will please the importers as people will just continue to buy pre 15 stangs and those that cant handle LHD or have to have the latest and greatest will be bent over and you know what.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #39
hedgehobb

$25k for ecoboost in USA.
$50k here in Aussieland.
Aussie Reaming Fee(TM) standard.
Ford can GAGF.

edit: $25k that's cheaper than a Fiesta ST!!!
hedgehobb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #40
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Have the full Aussie specs been released yet?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #41
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like how people think if its not a V8, its not a Mustang.
Do people not realise that the V8 version has never been the most popular option for the Mustang?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #42
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

The mustang was never ever going to be a volume seller, however:

For a company that says it is going to increase market share, the boys in Detroit seem to be hell bent at gouging the Aussie consumer which will invariably decreasing share. I have seen Harley Davidson do the same with their pricing, now the market is awash with private import Harley's and Jap cruisers. The sooner the government relaxes the rules on private importing of cars the better!

Last edited by cheap; 18-10-2014 at 11:58 AM.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #43
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
I like how people think if its not a V8, its not a Mustang.
Do people not realise that the V8 version has never been the most popular option for the Mustang?
Exactly. The Mustang throughout it's history has always been about being an *affordable* sports car for the masses. What kind of engine then do you think is going to sell most? The cheapest V6, of course.

And you guys are seriously complaining about a 50% markup from the US price? Back in the 90s, Ford Australia sold the Probe here for $44,000, which was a 160% markup on the US price of $17,000.

Last edited by MrZ; 18-10-2014 at 12:10 PM.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #44
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$70,000 for a mustang GT? I'll pay that.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #45
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People also need to stop quoting $25k for the Ecoboost.
We are getting the Premium model and 19" wheels at minimum, which puts the price at $32k+
Then you've got possible stuff that may come standard for overseas models like the 201A package (upgraded stereo, memory seat/mirror and blind spot system) navigation, reverse sensors, adaptive cruise control which puts the price closer around USD$37k.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #46
GAFA

Around 12 months ago when rumours of the 6G coming to Australia and price speculation started ie $40-$55 K the AUD was above or equal to the USD. Now it's dropped to the mid 80c's. The range of $50-$70$ will be based on a projected lower AUD so if it rebounds the price of the Mustang here in Australia will drop back to last years predicted prices.

Spot on XR6, people need to understand the Australian version is not the standard premium Ecoboost or GT. It will come with more features as standard and we are not getting the base version or the V6 (built for the US rental market). The spec sheet for the European version had Sync 2 has standard where as in the US it's optional.

Last edited by GAFA; 18-10-2014 at 12:22 PM.
GAFA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #47
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

$70K will get you a fully loaded convertible I imagine.

The upgraded options on GT are standard on all export models so as said the price needs to be apples to apples.

Aside from all that, does it come as any surprise that we pay too much for import cars in this country?

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #48
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Foa would not be paying retail so the currency conversion would be less as well as they wouldnt be paying the same transportation costs as a normal person .ill wait to see official price but we in oz always get screwed
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #49
Blueford260

The other thing that we have to take in to account it this is a guess of pricing by a jurno not actual Ford pricing and look even if it does turn out that a Mustang GT in our Aussie spec premium package sync2 form ends up being $60-70 thousand it will put it out of reach for some (including me) but FPV sold a few GT for that sort of money so the Mustang should sell ok.

I think what is getting most people upset is they know what Ford are selling them for in the US in the basic package and think that's what we are getting but we are going to have the highest spec of each model with some for extras. They forget that
1. We are getting the RHD version
2. We are only a small market
3.The cars don't magically appear in the Australian show rooms they have to be freighted & last time I checked US and Aus were a little bit apart.
4. The government doesn't say to Ford "you know what you guy's are good sports it wont cost ya any thing to bring them in"
5. and the real kicker ATM is the exchange rate as Ford when they do release pricing will have to insulate themselves a bit from dropping 5-10c in a couple of months or so after releasing the price.
What I'm trying to get across is Ford Aus are not trying to add heaps to a car just to p**s buyers off but they are trying to get it to the business of making money and the first rule of business in any retail outlet anywhere should be is to sell a product for more than what it cost you, if you sell it for less than it cost you (sure you will sell more than most others for a time but as sure as you know what) you will go broke.
Blueford260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #50
Focusfan

Said in a tread a few months back they would be bumping price up here.
http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/ USA link starting prices.
As usual I bet the ACCC wont get involved with the Aussies being ripped off.
Focusfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #51
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueford260 View Post
The other thing that we have to take in to account it this is a guess of pricing by a jurno not actual Ford pricing and look even if it does turn out that a Mustang GT in our Aussie spec premium package sync2 form ends up being $60-70 thousand it will put it out of reach for some (including me) but FPV sold a few GT for that sort of money so the Mustang should sell ok.
The price ranges in the first post are from Ford not a journo.
Old 18-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #52
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IF (I don't believe ford has published the spec yet?) Ford Aus are loading the cars with options and pricing it accordingly, they are narrowing the market for the Mustang here. This type of packaging has gone on with niche imports for ever -

Options don't cost Ford much more but lead to higher selling price and higher profits/unit.
Higher selling price equals less on road which equals less exposure to warranty issues.
Less on road also equals lower parts inventory (Chrysler Jeep suffer this in Aus).

It can arguably lead to a higher perception of the brand in the public eye too which is sorely needed for Ford Aus

I'm sure there are more reasons too.

Arguments regarding RHD, small market, Aus govt., and exchange rates are all negated by the fact that CJD can bring in the Cherokees, Grand Cherokees and 300C's from the USA and ask quite competitive prices down here.
Then there are all the other low volume cars such as the Toyota 86 that are. Imported and sold at a decent price.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #53
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
IF (I don't believe ford has published the spec yet?) Ford Aus are loading the cars with options and pricing it accordingly, they are narrowing the market for the Mustang here. This type of packaging has gone on with niche imports for ever -

Options don't cost Ford much more but lead to higher selling price and higher profits/unit.
Higher selling price equals less on road which equals less exposure to warranty issues.
Less on road also equals lower parts inventory (Chrysler Jeep suffer this in Aus).

It can arguably lead to a higher perception of the brand in the public eye too which is sorely needed for Ford Aus

I'm sure there are more reasons too.

Arguments regarding RHD, small market, Aus govt., and exchange rates are all negated by the fact that CJD can bring in the Cherokees, Grand Cherokees and 300C's from the USA and ask quite competitive prices down here.
Then there are all the other low volume cars such as the Toyota 86 that are. Imported and sold at a decent price.
Toyota sells that many cars that they can afford to sell a low volume model for no profit.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #54
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

American pricing..we are so ripped off..did a build and the Ecoboost Premium is $32,650us...
http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/pricing/

Last edited by csv8; 18-10-2014 at 02:41 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #55
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

If the V8 is 70k on road with the performance pack , it's acceptable
If the Aussie dollar starts to submarine even more then it wouldn't be surprising to see some dealers asking closer to 80k

Much **** on us stupid Aussies expecting anything less.......
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #56
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Those of you who are upset, is it because of what Ford Oz will charge for fully loaded models, or because they won't offer bare bones versions of the Stang here in Oz? That's what's happening. That price bracket quoted makes sense.

When I bought my Fiesta ST I was fully aware I 'could get one way cheaper' in Europe, but that was a bare bones ST, not the ST-2 bitzer we get here. It's just the way it is (even if the base spec was available here, I would've optioned up. Ford Oz saved me the trouble)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #57
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
American pricing..we are so ripped off..did a build and the Ecoboost Premium is $32,650us...
http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/pricing/
But what would it cost to import that car (straight from the showroom floor) and convert it to RHD?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #58
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

What do you call bare bones?
Old 18-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #59
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

unfortunate but I'm looking outside the brand after being true blue for all my life..

I would have accepted 55k for a 5.0 muzzy but not 65k+

Not sure if it's Ford aus being best at what they do like the service departments etc. today I went test driving at another brands dealership given these figures for the stang.

I wanted one but hey thats just not brand building pricing..

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #60
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Toyota sells that many cars that they can afford to sell a low volume model for no profit.
That was one example, another would be the Subaru BRZ, the previously mentioned Chrysler 300C Core and there are mainstream models that sell in tiny numbers here too.