Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #31
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Delayed: Ford's 4-cylinder Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Things are grim indeed.

It appears I am incorrect on ecoboost.
Uh oh! Is there any chance of us getting CD4 production in Australia to replace Falcon or will Ford Australia become an import only operation after 2015?

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #32
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Could it be because LPI has been brought forward and henceforth will fill the need for an economic (and greener) fleet car for the time being?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #33
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
Falcon ute, get it while its being produced, because it will be no more soon.
Interesting times ahead indeed.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Could it be because LPI has been brought forward and henceforth will fill the need for an economic (and greener) fleet car for the time being?
LPi has never been bought forward, it was always going to be June/July after it missed its original target date of November 2010.

EB 4 was supposed to be released in November, if its been delayed to January thats only a small delay, and considering how few cars are built over the December/January shutdown it really won't make that much of a difference in terms of potential numbers lost, especially as fleets don't order during these periods anyway.

Storm in a teacup.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Ford marketing 101: thinking they have more time then they actually do.

Low sales due to no LPG Falcon has forced their hand, praying sales volume increases.
Delays with Ecoboost means EB Mondeo gets a start, maybe this is Mondeo's big chance.

No wonder Graziano is saying things will be OK, the alternative is too painful to imagine...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #36
Bobman
Regulator

It's laughable how Ford will try to save 5 cents per car on the ommission of say a lockable fuel cap (early FG) or no air lower vents (BA-BF), but then keep producing the XT with its slightly different tail lights, ugly wheels and plastic covers for the fog lights.

Wouldn't logic tell you to drop a model or two thus saving a far load more money and possibly the future of the car so it can be spent on better materials?

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #37
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
why is this a marketing/PR issue?

This could be related to all sorts of engineering issues that could delay a program.
Yep i heard the same, im good mates with my service mgr and also attended there meeting last Friday in Brisbane
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #38
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
What is with all the negativity from supposed ford fans. Jeez with friends like some on here who needs enemies!!
I think you'll find the negativity comes from backing an organisation/product/brand that at virtually every opportunity, appears to not back its self. This is made worse when said organisation is part of a large multinational organisation which couldn't give a **** about the measly market for 'home grown' product that the situation is occurring in. (ie. AUSTRALIA)

If anyone in the Aussie auto market doesn't need enemies, it's Ford- they're their own worst enemy sometimes with what could contend for the most poorly planned product development and launch events in automotive history, starting with the AU Falcon. (Yes, I own one because I know how good it actually is...).

If the Ford fans are getting negative, what does that say about the likely attitude of the general automotive consumer? One who doesn't have a passion, doesn't have a brand preference, doesn't have inside information and doesn't necessarily have a great understanding other than what's said in marketing BS. It says they're likely to take the information they get (How much positive versus negative press for Falcon over the last 10-15 years?) and it WILL sway their choice. I'm not saying they're ignorant, just that negative sentiment towards a product begets further negative sentiment.

If the sentiment amongst fans starting to turn down, it's probably for a pretty good reason. Delays like this, LiLPG, axing of Focus, all the turns with V6, etc doesn't give anyone confidence.

I wish it was different...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #39
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

Low sales due to no LPG Falcon has forced their hand, praying sales volume increases.
Delays with Ecoboost means EB Mondeo gets a start, maybe this is Mondeo's big chance.
makes me laugh if ford are quoting low sales in the last year as to no interest in falcon...people hanging for the much hyped new model would explain less sales recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman
It's laughable how Ford will try to save 5 cents per car on the ommission of say a lockable fuel cap (early FG) or no air lower vents (BA-BF), but then keep producing the XT with its slightly different tail lights, ugly wheels and plastic covers for the fog lights.
as a owner of a BFII XT...you're speaking my language. the things we miss out on
although thanks to ebay, i have dual air vents (BA1 vents bought with fairmont/fairlane dash woodgrain spears). pretty quick swap actually...and the lower air vent is functional, not just cosmetic

previously...AUII Futura, BAII XR6T ute, BFII XT, BF XR6...with a holden barina & a renault clio thown in at times of financial crisis
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #40
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't it be smarter to delay release until 2012 instead of having holding yards across the country full of 2011 plated ecoboost Falcons which are "1 year old" come 1/1/2012 and then have to discount '11 plated cars of a just released new model.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Cya Ford Australia, its been a nice how ever many decades. Ford Australia can point the finger at themselves when (WHEN, not IF) they die, they're supposed to have the best products since sliced bread, but they're never out and they can't sell any of their cars. The more they screw around, the deeper they are in the ground.

Just give up now, just start importing all of your other products made elsewhere and forget about the Territory/Falcon.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #42
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

As far as I know ecoboost is scheduled for release beginning of 2012 that's not to say that FG2 is that far away. Ute was a hot topic end of last year, sales of the Ute was that bad that Ford did consider it's viability going into the future.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #43
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i feel sorry for all you negative fools who think its all over.Times do change you know. Im assuming with your attitudes your allready compromising on large comfy safe cruising class leading style...and have allready opted for ashmatic holdens and or smaller yet capable mondeos and focuses. Good luck with that.

I personaly can see nothing better than a large car with a small super effecient 4cyl engined falcon alongside the new super charged 8s as options. Then theirs your smaller model options...another story.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #44
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
i feel sorry for all you negative fools who think its all over.Times do change you know. Im assuming with your attitudes your allready compromising on large comfy safe cruising class leading style...and have allready opted for ashmatic holdens and or smaller yet capable mondeos and focuses. Good luck with that.

I personaly can see nothing better than a large car with a small super effecient 4cyl engined falcon alongside the new super charged 8s as options. Then theirs your smaller model options...another story.
My Focus is just as safe as any Falcon, and IMO a lot more fun to drive.
Im not negative about the 4Cyl falcon at all. Ill reserve my judgement.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #45
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

There's a difference between negativity for the sake of it and being kicked repeatedly until you're negative- I think you'll find those who are members of this board would love to see domestic Ford flourish but are sick of the dithering of local management and the apparent resentment held towards Australian manufacturing by the Americans...which is probably as a result of the dithering.

The development of all other models has been put ahead of the Falcon and Territory, so as to deal with the BIG markets. That's a win-win for Ford US because it means the locals eventually die 'of their own' (in reality, neglect) and the big markets get their updated models which roar ahead.

Last edited by madmelon; 16-03-2011 at 11:26 PM.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #46
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:

It's not coming from wanting to be negative. It's Ford fans really CONCERNED of the fate of local production. I think the concern is warranted. It's a long way from 1985 for Ford Australia....and we didn't even have a V8 then.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #47
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
It's not coming from wanting to be negative. It's Ford fans really CONCERNED of the fate of local production. I think the concern is warranted. It's a long way from 1985 for Ford Australia....and we didn't even have a V8 then.
Exactly. The real question is: Will Ford Australia still be a manufacturer after 2015?

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #48
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Hmm why do I get the feeling that Ford are seeing if Falcon has already 'jumped the shark' before committing to production of FG2...

Delayed: Ford's 4-cylinder Falcon
Matt Campbell
March 15, 2011 - 5:11PM

Ford Mondeo
Mondeo will be first Ford in Australia with new Ecoboost four-cylinder engine after more fuel efficient Falcon is held up until 2012.

The Ford Falcon has suffered another blow, with its long-awaited four-cylinder model delayed until early 2012.
This is old news for those of us who know about the E240 programme.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #49
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do have to laugh at some people.. A project is delayed by 2-3 months & some seem to think the end of the world is coming!!

What is the E240 program?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #50
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
E240 = 4 cyl Falcon
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #51
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
I do have to laugh at some people.. A project is delayed by 2-3 months & some seem to think the end of the world is coming!!

It's not just about the delay; it's all the little things. Can you honestly say that you are not concerned about the future of local production? I think it's great to think positive but the fact is, Falcon's sales are at an all time low. I hear all the excuses - it's January. Then Feb's figures come out - oh it's February. What about March? And then we hear - "but at least Ford are making a profit." Well if the public catch wind of the low sales, we'll end up like Mitsubishi. What will be the excuse then? I really hope the Territory sells like hotcakes. The Falcon should; it's a great car. A lot of us get frustrated because from the outside, it looks like Ford is already preparing for a withdrawal from local production. Ford will always have a presence in Australia - I just want it to be as a local manufacturer, not an importer.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #52
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
E240 = 4 cyl Falcon
That's interesting that head office would assign a global project number for something that is seemingly "just a 4 cylinder engine for the Falcon".

Interesting.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #53
Windsor220
Now Fordless

You have to really wonder what the point of putting the ecoboost in the Falcon was. By the time its out, Falcon will only have a couple of years left. Seems like a lot of wasted development money for little gain. They arent going to sell a bucketload of these things.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #54
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that points to a local falcon after the FG thats why they are investing development $ in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
You have to really wonder what the point of putting the ecoboost in the Falcon was. By the time its out, Falcon will only have a couple of years left. Seems like a lot of wasted development money for little gain. They arent going to sell a bucketload of these things.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #55
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
that points to a local falcon after the FG thats why they are investing development $ in it
But Falcons future hasn't been decided yet. The decision is supposed to be made this year though and if ecoboost comes out next year it wont matter how well it sells its too late.

With its terrible sales numbers and not fitting into the One Ford policy gives it not much chance for survival beyond 2015.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #56
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The four cylinder is three months late by Ford reckoning. Which means of course it is either months or years late by the markets reckoning.

Laugh away, but no one is buying Falcons if you hadn't noticed.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 02:25 AM   #57
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Details for the EcoBoost-powered Falcon remain a tightly-held secret, but Ford Australia has confirmed that the Falcon's four-cylinder heart will be a more powerful version of the EcoBoost engine, debuting sometime in the next 12 months.

Overseas, the inline-four EcoBoost engine is currently available in two power grades: the 149kW/300Nm version destined for the local Mondeo, and a 177kW/339Nm version offered with the UK-market Mondeo, along with the upcoming Range Rover Evoque.

It's the latter engine that will likely appear in the Falcon, acting as an entry-level option beneath the 195kW and 391Nm 'Barra' 4.0 litre inline-six engine, which is expected to continue as a part of the Falcon line-up.

Fuel consumption for the EcoBoost Falcon is expected to be around 8.0 l/100km - about 1.9 l/100km down on the six-cylinder engine.

The EcoBoost Falcon is expected to star in an updated Falcon range, bringing a number of changes to exterior and interior styling, along with new mechanical revisions and new equipment - potentially including Ford's successful MyKey security, MyFord Touch and Ford Sync systems.

From The Motor Report 15th March
Old 17-03-2011, 02:32 AM   #58
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I think we could get a surprise from the Ecoboost Falcon in terms of power/torque. All the applications on the market now from what i can see are still all FWD, which typically have weaker gearboxes than RWD or at least longitudinal engine layouts. If you want an example look at the jump between Ecoboost F150 and Taurus SHO.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #59
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My friends will attest to me being blue through and through but this last 12 months apart from winning on the track all I hear is delays delays and more delays. Focus, Festiva and Mondeo delays with manufacturing in Europe meaning no stock. Sorted now hopefully not too late. LPG Falcon delays delays and delays, now its May but don't hold your breath. If it arrives then and fuel is still up there will be a 12 month waiting list, goodbye sales. Territory took months longer than we all expected and the diesel took years longer than it should have. Now its the Ecoboost Falcon so far this is only the first delay that I've heard of. I hope to eat my words but I bet there will be more delays and it will be mid to late 2012 before we see it. TOO LATE FORD. 2011 was to be a great year for Ford, was.
Old 17-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #60
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
That's interesting that head office would assign a global project number for something that is seemingly "just a 4 cylinder engine for the Falcon".

Interesting.
E240 is FG Falcon (Orion) it has been around for years. It is being used for Mid cycle upgrades also.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post