Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-05-2005, 11:41 AM   #31
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaminFiesta
frigin hell

i was infront and my mate was behind me about 4 cars away and he was doing 132km i was on about 120+ i broke and got down to 105 he didnt see the cop he was at the back of a pack and got pulled over..

shit..
Sounds to me that you guys should be having a good look at yourselves. There is no need to be doing that speed. Your mate was busted.. he wasn't doing 5 or 6 Kmh over or sopme crap like that... it's not unfair. If he doesn't wan't to walk for a month then he shouldn't have done it. He can try all the letters he likes but no authority is going to be lenient at that speed.

Besides, it says volumes for his road awareness that he didn't see the cop.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2005, 11:49 AM   #32
FlaminFiesta

mate im appealing to the Infringement Bureau so they may be able to overturn or something with the ticket, yeah i know abt responsibilites

but im a sucker for guilt and hes a good mate so im gonna help him as much as i can .. hopefully it turns out well..
FlaminFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2005, 12:11 PM   #33
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
mate im appealing to the Infringement Bureau so they may be able to overturn or something with the ticket,
I can tell you right now what they are going to say......how do i spell the sound of the incorrect buzzer on that old gameshow Family Fued?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #34
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one wants to pay a fine or lose their licence. If you dont try then you dont know what you can get away with. But if all else fails then you simply pay the fine and move on.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2005, 01:03 PM   #35
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Mr Carr and his Merry Bunch of Law makers revised the law so that exceed posted speed by 30kph or exceed 130kph equals an automatic 1 months suspension plus fine.
I don't mind the 30Kph+ bit to exceed that you have really pushed the envelope or totally ignored a school zone, construction zone etc.
130kph comes up pretty quickly in an overtaking manouvre etc it should be 150Kph in line with the other law, but it isn't. Travel by city rail is not fun, sorry.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #36
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Hey !

my mate got done for 132KMH in a 110KMH zone and the cop said he lost 3 points and $208 and that was it.

But i jumped on the RTA website and it says he will lose his license for a month ? any one experience being clocked at this speed and what happened ?

pls help :(
Well unless you’re on P Plates, 132km/h in a 110km/h zone is only 22 over, so you will only cop 3 points and a $208 fine. No loss of license for one month unless it was a 100km/h zone.

I was caught a few years ago doing 132km/h in a 100km/h zone, the officer who pulled me over was a pretty decent bloke and wrote it down as under 115km/h, so I only copped 3 points and a couple of hundred $ fine. I moved in to the house next door to his about 6 months later great bloke
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #37
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xceler8shun
.....................I was caught a few years ago doing 132km/h in a 100km/h zone....................
And a couple of years ago it was only a points offence.
Old 17-05-2005, 01:19 PM   #38
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
130kph comes up pretty quickly in an overtaking manouvre etc it should be 150Kph in line with the other law, but it isn't. Travel by city rail is not fun, sorry.
There were talks i think to make the speed limits from 110 to 125-130 on major highways as research has indicated overseas it makes the roads safer. Think about its not uncommon for people to do 120 in 100s and 130 in 110s. But if we did raise the speed limit i reckon the government wouldnt have as much people to fine so thats why its low. I hate the pricks who will slow everyone down doin 10ks under the limit then they speed up when you overtake them. Its so easy to go over the limit. Hell 130ks comes up quick for a lot of people who do that on a daily basis
Old 17-05-2005, 01:22 PM   #39
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh yeah did i mention the losers whose cars struggle overtaking you while your just cruising. If they have to push it hard to overtake someone is it really worth it. I was goin up a hill and some shitbox was revving so hard to overtake me. I had to brake in the end as he wasnt far enough up the side of me to have right of way and still wanted to be in front.
Old 17-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #40
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

You are all paying this guy out as though you dont speed! Im almost positive you have all sped, at least ONCE, just that you havent been caught yet..... lay off him....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2005, 02:01 PM   #41
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
mate im appealing to the Infringement Bureau so they may be able to overturn or something with the ticket, yeah i know abt responsibilites

but im a sucker for guilt and hes a good mate so im gonna help him as much as i can .. hopefully it turns out well..
Well, don't bother letter writing, contest the ticket. It's the only way he has a hope and he also runs the risk of losing... but that's the nature of an adversarial system
Old 17-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #42
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
You are all paying this guy out as though you dont speed! Im almost positive you have all sped, at least ONCE, just that you havent been caught yet..... lay off him....
No-one said they dont speed - we just don't bitch about it when we get done as we knew what we were doing was illegal at the time.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 17-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #43
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We are 'paying out ' because he now doesn't want to face the consequences .. a huge difference.
Old 17-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #44
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Although that this may be true, it's idiots like that that give the rest of us a bad name. A month to think about what he COULD have done to some unfortunate being on the side of the road is good enough punishment.

My favourite saying at the moment is build a bridge. Pay the fine, cop the punishment. I've seen it all too much right now. Don't know if you guys have seen this over Oz or not, but there is a stretch of highway about 2 minutes from my house that has had some fatalities recently, by impatient turds who can't wait for overtaking lanes. Now, if this guy was caught in the same fashion, I don't blame the RTA for laying down the law.
Old 17-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #45
FlaminFiesta

hey guys

sorry i was after information mainly not sympathy or empathy but i appreciate it all, so dont argue amongst yourselved this was a fact finding post if anything at all and i appreciate the input so thanks !

so just FYI

Well appeal based on what we can
Then well cop the fine and 1 year probation (also everyone on the trip split the fine $40 each) instead of suspension

ill keep you all posted !
Old 17-05-2005, 02:22 PM   #46
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
And a couple of years ago it was only a points offence.
nope i still had to pay a fine when i was done, this would have been late 2002 or early 2003 if i remember correctly, I paid it by creditcard so it will be on a statement somewhere in the files

Last edited by xceler8shun; 17-05-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 17-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #47
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
nope i still had to pay a fine when i was done, this would have been late 2002 or early 2003 if i remember correctly, I paid it by creditcard so it will be on a statement somewhere in the files
I think RED_EL_XR8 was referring to the fact that a couple of years ago it was points adn fine....now it is automatic 1 month suspension for 130km/h or over.

Old 17-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #48
tbearz

On my first year of my p's...finished 5 days ago thank god i got caught doing 118 when i was only meant to be going 80 albiet in an 110 zone!!!!! Needless to say i was shitting myself and hadnt ever been pulled over by a cop before and got out of the car, the cop yelled at me to get back in the car. I was still in shock, in the end i got my speed reduced to 100 cos the lazy cops couldnt be bothered to do the paper work, but 3 points and $110 later i have to be very cautious with 1 point for the next 3 years in tassie :s
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2005, 06:25 PM   #49
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Well appeal based on what we can
Then well cop the fine and 1 year probation (also everyone on the trip split the fine $40 each) instead of suspension

ill keep you all posted !
Just to let you know ... a friend of mine just just gone over his allowed demerit points on his green Ps (I keep telling him to drive like a granny till he's off his P's altogether ... oh well) ... and he found out that you cannot get a probationary licence (12 months - 2 points - Black licence) while on your Ps at all ... it's only allowable for drivers that have an unrestricted licence.

Just thought I'd let you know now ... thats if you are on Ps though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2005, 06:57 PM   #50
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

I got caught doing an insane speed ( I won't mention what it was) across the Nullabor Plain. I was acually let off with a caution! Never happened again though. I used up all my life cautions in one hit. If it happened in NSW, I would have been on Derryn Hinch that night.
Old 17-05-2005, 06:58 PM   #51
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
I got caught doing an insane speed ( I won't mention what it was) across the Nullabor Plain. I was acually let off with a caution! Never happened again though. I used up all my life cautions in one hit. If it happened in NSW, I would have been on Derryn Hinch that night.
I thought there were no speed limits there.
Old 17-05-2005, 08:21 PM   #52
devil cv8

Quote:
Well unless you’re on P Plates, 132km/h in a 110km/h zone is only 22 over, so you will only cop 3 points and a $208 fine. No loss of license for one month unless it was a 100km/h zone.
***WRONG WRONG WRONG******

I suggest you do a bit of reading over at the RTA website. You seem to be missing the law that states exceed 130km/h in any zone and you will lose your license for 1 month unless another suspension takes effect. Basically this is a catchall for 110km/h zones where if you do 20 over, you lose your license.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2005, 12:23 AM   #53
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

has everyone missed that he said it was in a 110km/h zone.... thats only 22km/h over and unless he is on red P's he doesnt have to worry about losing his license for being 30km/h over
Old 18-05-2005, 01:14 AM   #54
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
has everyone missed that he said it was in a 110km/h zone.... thats only 22km/h over and unless he is on red P's he doesnt have to worry about losing his license for being 30km/h over
Try reading the NSW Regs

A one-month licence suspension or minimum disqualification period applies for any driver caught travelling more than 130km/h but not more than 140km/h in 110km/h zone (this offence does not apply to drivers restricted to a maximum speed limit of 100km/h or less such as learner, provisional or heavy vehicle drivers). This will apply in any case not covered by suspensions or disqualifications listed above. In addition, a traffic infringement notice fine of $208 ($313 for drivers of vehicles greater than 4.5 tonnes GVM) and 3 demerit points apply to this offence.

For Provisional licence holders, the automatic suspension period is three months.

P1 drivers must:

Have P plates (red P on white background) displayed conspicuously at the front and rear of the car when driving. If placing P signs on windows, they must be held against the glass, be displayed conspicuously in the lower left-hand (passenger) side of the windscreen and on the lower left-hand side of the rear facing window and must not be placed on any other part of the window area. If towing a trailer, a P plate must be on the back of the trailer.
Not exceed zero blood alcohol concentration (in effect, this means you cannot drink before driving).
Observe a maximum speed limit of 90 km/h.
Observe towing restrictions (you are only allowed to tow light trailers of up to 250 kilograms unloaded weight).
Not accumulate more than three demerit points.
Be restricted to driving an automatic transmission car or clutchless manual (depending on the vehicle in which the DART is undertaken).
Not supervise a learner driver.
Not upgrade the licence to a higher class.
Only carry the number of passengers that can be properly seated in seats and restrained by approved seat belts or child restraints.
Only drive a vehicle with a seat belt fitted to the driver's position and wear the seat belt.
Not drive with any passengers in or on the boot of the vehicle.
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements is an offence and carries heavy penalties, including loss of licence.

P2 licence holders must:

Have P plates (green P on a white background) displayed conspicuously at the front and rear of the car when driving. If placing P signs on windows, they must be held against the glass, be displayed conspicuously in lower left-hand (passenger) side of the windscreen and on the lower left-hand side of the rear facing window and must not be placed on any other part of the window area. If towing a trailer, a P plate must be on the back of the trailer.
Not exceed zero blood alcohol concentration (in effect, this means you cannot drink before driving).
Observe a maximum speed limit of 100 km/h.
Not accumulate more than six demerit points.
Not supervise a learner driver.
Only carry the number of passengers that can be properly seated in seats and restrained by approved seat belts or child restraints.
Only drive a vehicle with a seat belt fitted to the driver's position and wear the seat belt.
Not drive with any passengers in or on the boot of the vehicle.
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements is an offence and carries heavy penalties, including loss of licence.
Old 18-05-2005, 11:01 AM   #55
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

damn never saw that, intersting they have a seperate rule for 110km/h zones
Old 18-05-2005, 12:29 PM   #56
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
damn never saw that, intersting they have a seperate rule for 110km/h zones
It's not a separate rule for 110kph zones, it's a rule that covers all speed zones. Exceed 130kph and you'll lose your licence for at least a month. If you were doing 130kph in a 100kph zone, same deal.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #57
FlaminFiesta

what about giving people a warning when they reach 130kmh but arent in excess of 30kmh over the speed limit lol

that would have been great..
Old 18-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #58
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Arrow

In ACT it goes like this.

OFFENCE
Exceeding the speed limit by 45 km/h or more = 6 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 30 km/h or more, but less than 45 km/h = 4 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 15 km/h or more, but less than 30 km/h = 3 points
Exceeding the speed limit by less than 15 km/h = 1 point

You only get suspended licence when you go over your points limit irrelevant of speed

Number of demerit points in 3 years

12-15 = 3 months

16-19 = 4 months

20 or more = 5 months

I think when you exceed the speed limit the maximum you will ever get done for is >45km/h

Last edited by MITCHAY; 18-05-2005 at 12:48 PM.