Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2022, 01:04 AM   #91
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: 417 km/h on German Autobahn

Even a experienced test driver found a Veyron (albeit a prototype) hard to control with a blown tyre https://carbuzz.com/news/what-s-it-l...ron-at-248-mph
Old 26-02-2022, 06:04 AM   #92
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Even if we had freeways in immaculate condition the speed would still be 80km/h with a bazillion speed 'safety' cameras on it for 'our safety'.

Like the Tullamarine Freeway, it's 5 lanes wide each way and it's still 80km/h.

There's a dirt road around the corner from where I live with a 100km/h speed limit.
(Safety first).

Sorry it took me a fortnight to reply... I've been driving home from town at the legal speed limit and just arrived home.

50km/week average speed.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 06:01 PM   #93
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

No speed limit, and plenty of others videoing themselves well over 300 km/h, is there really much difference when you're up at those speeds?

Maybe the Bugatti was a little over the top, maybe not, it is all subjective anyway.

Reminds me of the time a bored highway patrol pulled me over for "excessive acceleration." When he asked what I had to say about how I took off, I asked him "sure officer, can you answer me what the acceleration limit is, how I measure it, and what you clocked me at?" He turned around and said "lucky for you I've just received an urgent call," and off he zoomed with some excessive acceleration of his own.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2022, 07:19 PM   #94
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
No charges as Czech millionaire drives Bugatti Chiron at more than 400kph on German autobahn

German prosecutors have decided not to press charges against a Czech millionaire who drove his high-powered sports car along a German highway at speeds of at least 414 kilometres per hour.

Germany's DPA news agency reported on Friday, local time, that prosecutors in the town of Stendal reviewed footage of the incident and concluded that Radim Passer had not broken the law when he pushed his Bugatti Chiron to extreme speeds on a stretch of autobahn between Berlin and Hannover.

In a post below the video, which was uploaded to YouTube, Mr Passer wrote that the video was recorded last year on a 10km section of straight road with three lanes and "visibility along the whole stretch".

"Safety was a priority, so the circumstances had to be safe to go," he said.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-...n-in/101010680
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2022, 07:25 PM   #95
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Awaiting that what could have happened crowd
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2022, 07:27 PM   #96
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Awaiting that what could have happened crowd

Yeah you could win division 1 lotto as well

The 'its not what happened, its what COULD have happened!' crew are holding back progress because they're under the doona on their bed looking out the window telling everyone else how dangerous it is out there.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2022, 10:20 PM   #97
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Cool, next time im on the Autobahn I will have to extract every last Kilometre out of the next Getz seeing they have set the benchmark
I got 100mph out of this one in 2019
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2022, 10:53 PM   #98
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

My 1976 Renault 12 (1.4L with twin webbers, and that horrible orange) did 160Kph... until it didn't, bloody sealed cooling system, noting that's what my XR6T has now. My 1977 2.0L Cortina only did 140 :(
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-04-2022, 10:56 PM   #99
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Did the 1.4 12 still have the crank hole in the front bumper?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2022, 10:58 PM   #100
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

You know what, I'm going to say yes. Yes it did.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2022, 12:38 AM   #101
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Meanwhile in Australia, the state highway patrols gloat on their social media pages about catching someone doing 140km/h on an empty Motorway, and how they took away their licence for 6 months, confiscated their plates, and brought in $2.5k worth of revenue to the hopeless and inefficient bureaucracy that is the (insert name) state government
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 12:45 AM   #102
JasonACT
Away on leave

Moral of the story is... You've gotta pick your moments.
Old 24-04-2022, 02:44 PM   #103
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fastest I have ever ridden was maybe 310KM/H all I seen was 10,500RPM and that was at night, to get away from the Cops.

But 240KM/H was a real good cruising speed, but over that taxes you over long distances and you will start to make little mistakes and you need a breather drop speed for a few KM and then back up again, just take it easy and do not try to set any time record at all or your dead.

It takes a lot of riding at such speeds to truly get your eye in and get a handle on all such, not to mention you must know the road before hand will help much.

If I were to ride at the speeds that I once did nowadays I could not as I am to old and not as fit and can not see like a Hawk any more.

Driving a car fast depend much on the type of car that it is, one could be a total handful at 160KM/H and another fine at 240KM/H and comfortable.

I put a strut brace on my SS and boy did that make a huge difference to hooking in, the steering became so much less an effort, before that the road being bumpy and such made you have to really work the wheel so much more, but with the brace just magic ! the fun factor just went up so much more.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 03:19 PM   #104
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Meanwhile in Australia, the state highway patrols gloat on their social media pages about catching someone doing 140km/h on an empty Motorway, and how they took away their licence for 6 months, confiscated their plates, and brought in $2.5k worth of revenue to the hopeless and inefficient bureaucracy that is the (insert name) state government
Speed Kills remember, except for some reason not outside of Australia
4 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #105
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
On a German autobahn, you could do +200 kph and not expect some bumbling moron to pull out in front of you?
Here it’s almost guaranteed that some idiot will do something completely unexpected and downright dangerous
right in front of you at 100 kph……and people want to double that speed?

Most serious accidents and fatalities in Australia are single vehicle accidents which tells us two things,
the people injured or dying in those crashes has some unexpected incident, could that have been avoided?

And for all of those crashes and deaths, there was a ton of successful journeys completed without incident
so how do we teach people to do a proper assessment of when to and when not to travel at higher speeds
or should we concentrate on idiots that infest our road with nonsensical dangerous behaviours like
driving through stop sign into the path of high speed approaching traffic, scarey to think about…

Last edited by jpd80; 24-04-2022 at 03:53 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2022, 04:29 PM   #106
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
On a German autobahn, you could do +200 kph and not expect some bumbling moron to pull out in front of you?
Here it’s almost guaranteed that some idiot will do something completely unexpected and downright dangerous
right in front of you at 100 kph……and people want to double that speed?

Most serious accidents and fatalities in Australia are single vehicle accidents which tells us two things,
the people injured or dying in those crashes has some unexpected incident, could that have been avoided?

And for all of those crashes and deaths, there was a ton of successful journeys completed without incident
so how do we teach people to do a proper assessment of when to and when not to travel at higher speeds
or should we concentrate on idiots that infest our road with nonsensical dangerous behaviours like
driving through stop sign into the path of high speed approaching traffic, scarey to think about…

Seeing this concerns me, we might well run out of Lada's.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 05:42 PM   #107
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holllllyyyyyy stuffing!! Its amazing how much faith be put our lives in other people's hands every time we hit the road.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 06:28 PM   #108
Toiler
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Speed does not kill.

Unexpected speed kills.

In Aus with our speed limits there are idiots that exceed said limits to insane levels and normal drivers do not expect this - this is the thing that kills.

Do you expect a mustang travelling at significantly above the 100kph speed limit to approach you from behind expecting you to move left? The approach speed was so high that a normal driver would need to be watching the rear view for a high proportion of the time to spot the approach. The Clio in front of me and in the outer lane was already overtaking slower cars (me included) and only just escaped being hit from behind - simply not expecting such approach speeds. Ps if that driver is on this forum I do have the dash cam and the number plate recorded - it was a personalised plate - always a huge mistake but that demonstrates the ego involved.

Do you expect an Audi S3 at 120kph+ zipping in and out of traffic when all other traffic is travelling at 70kph? If one car had “normally” changed lanes the repercussion would have been serious. Again numberplate and dash cam captured.

In Germany high speed is expected on the autobahns and normal people’s behaviour expects this and behave accordingly and safely.

In Australia we have too many of the self entitled “type” for speed limits to be raised. The repercussions would be extreme.
Toiler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 06:29 PM   #109
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guy's
In todays Sunday paper 24th April was a story of a guy 22 years old doing 210kmh on the M4 at Eastern Creek.
It happened at 1.45am on Saturday.

Ive been driving a long time but what worry's me is the amount of people driving around unlicenced, or driving with drugs in there system or alcohol or both.

I myself think one of the worst things the Goverment did was get rid of Car Registration Labels.
How many people are driving around and there cars have no registration?
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #110
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiler View Post
Speed does not kill.

Unexpected speed kills.

In Aus with our speed limits there are idiots that exceed said limits to insane levels and normal drivers do not expect this - this is the thing that kills.

Do you expect a mustang travelling at significantly above the 100kph speed limit to approach you from behind expecting you to move left? The approach speed was so high that a normal driver would need to be watching the rear view for a high proportion of the time to spot the approach.
The Clio in front of me and in the outer lane was already overtaking slower cars (me included) and only just escaped being hit from behind - simply not expecting such approach speeds. Ps if that driver is on this forum I do have the dash cam and the number plate recorded - it was a personalised plate - always a huge mistake but that demonstrates the ego involved.

Do you expect an Audi S3 at 120kph+ zipping in and out of traffic when all other traffic is travelling at 70kph? If one car had “normally” changed lanes the repercussion would have been serious. Again numberplate and dash cam captured.

In Germany high speed is expected on the autobahns and normal people’s behaviour expects this and behave accordingly and safely.

In Australia we have too many of the self entitled “type” for speed limits to be raised. The repercussions would be extreme.

Here's a good idea,

All you have done is made excuses for bad behavior and entitled attitude on our roads, everywhere else seems to be able to drive at speeds higher than 110km/h but for some reason in Australia it'll cause genocide and we'll have 750,000 road deaths every year.

The entitled types are the ones who sit under the limit in the right lane, or they see you approaching on a highway, then pull out because screw you, you can slow down for me, the ones who take up the whole overtaking lane overtaking a car thats doing 85km/h and they overtake at 92km/h and take up the entire lane, thats another awesome trick too - goes on all day every day all over the country.

Its just they're hooked on the revenue they raise from traffic offences, and because they campaigned so hard about 'speed kills' they can't ever address it properly or they'll look ridiculous.

I was in court a few weeks ago for a driving offence, and the people who had multiple family violence incidents where they'd punched up the missus, and even someone who sexually assaulted three children, all got lesser penalties than three of us up on mid-high range speeding offences.

Hell even a drug dealer who got convicted got a smaller fine than the three of us up on speeding offences, I guess selling cocaine is more palatable to the Victorian community than driving too fast on the highway, I guess he is a small business doing it tough in COVID

That tells you exactly where the priorities lie in VIC.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 24-04-2022 at 07:05 PM.
Old 24-04-2022, 06:50 PM   #111
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Here's a good idea,

Originally (in NSW anyway) those signs used to read 'Slow vehicles use left lane'. Nobody wanted to be called slow so very few moved over. So they had to change the wording.
Old 24-04-2022, 07:05 PM   #112
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Seeing this concerns me, we might well run out of Lada's.
LOL but not the idiots that drive them, you know like the ones that do utterly stupid stuff around trucks….
In our country, you could simply substitute people who drive old Japanese/Korean cars like lunatics…

Some of those truck crashes are utterly terrifying, I have to look away when the cabs get hit……
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2022, 09:49 PM   #113
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

There is a Lada driver born every day, they will never run out of either
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #114
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Here's a good idea,

All you have done is made excuses for bad behavior and entitled attitude on our roads, everywhere else seems to be able to drive at speeds higher than 110km/h but for some reason in Australia it'll cause genocide and we'll have 750,000 road deaths every year.

The entitled types are the ones who sit under the limit in the right lane, or they see you approaching on a highway, then pull out because screw you, you can slow down for me, the ones who take up the whole overtaking lane overtaking a car thats doing 85km/h and they overtake at 92km/h and take up the entire lane, thats another awesome trick too - goes on all day every day all over the country.

Its just they're hooked on the revenue they raise from traffic offences, and because they campaigned so hard about 'speed kills' they can't ever address it properly or they'll look ridiculous.

I was in court a few weeks ago for a driving offence, and the people who had multiple family violence incidents where they'd punched up the missus, and even someone who sexually assaulted three children, all got lesser penalties than three of us up on mid-high range speeding offences.

Hell even a drug dealer who got convicted got a smaller fine than the three of us up on speeding offences, I guess selling cocaine is more palatable to the Victorian community than driving too fast on the highway, I guess he is a small business doing it tough in COVID

Yes Keep left unless "Overtaking" is exactly what I was doing passing a slower (100km/h) moving truck the other day when a self entitled impatient prat overtook me on the righthand verge of the freeway.
Could of easily all gone wrong quickly if he had clipped the guard rail.

So you think this kind of thing is acceptable ?
Where do you draw the line on dangerous driving and speeding ?

It isn't just a Victorian thing.

Old 25-04-2022, 03:32 PM   #115
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here's a good idea,

So true.
Not to mention some moron that steals a car can go flog the guts out of it and all drive like a total tosser and get less punishment than some kid doing a burnout and get's their car destroyed by our Nazi like Governments.
Oh we do not like brats doing burnouts in their own cars, but to do such in a stolen car is not as much of a big deal by the Governments in fact.

Some brat was cutting loose on the rev limiter for say 3 hours doing burnouts the other night not that far from home, I could smell the rubber. I do not give a rats really, but is it their car ? I do not think so.
Stolen car no doubt ! and if they do catch them under age, nothing happens to them in court.

But when I was a kid back in them days the copes would of bashed you up on the spot or kicked you in the tail was an option or you got the gut or Phone book over the head in the station or sit down on a chair as 3 cops walked around you and gave turtle pecks on top of ya head.

Bring back the biff I say, it works a treat. That I have heard from all who have informed me of such dealings.

So why not ! bring back the biff.

We send kids off to war to get blown away and even treated really badly by our own top dogs and no one has any regards to such as that type of treatment, not to mention come home and get slandered full on by the top dog. People who are the cream of the crop treated shockingly but the low life trash are idolised put up on a pedestal, oh poor little Johnny the boy has no regards as to other people.
Thanks to the Governments who only work to encourage such idiots in fact. The brats know they can not be dealt with, so it's free for all ! when a good punch in the face would change all that attitude big time. and any cheek back, then comes another one. just driving home the message a wake up call. or you are going into boot camp or to be a gofer for Ukraine. you would see a big change in attitude from them directly. Haha !
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2022, 08:58 PM   #116
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Originally (in NSW anyway) those signs used to read 'Slow vehicles use left lane'. Nobody wanted to be called slow so very few moved over. So they had to change the wording.
On windy, mountain roads I have seen 'slow vehicle pull off bays' but most slow drivers don't use them in my experience.
I guess the people in their 30 year old Hiace campers feel like they are driving flat out at 50km/h so they don't think they're going slow, but all the people in normal cars behind them 50 feels like they're crawling along.
Trucks are one of the few vehicles that use those bays in my experience.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #117
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
On windy, mountain roads I have seen 'slow vehicle pull off bays' but most slow drivers don't use them in my experience.
I guess the people in their 30 year old Hiace campers feel like they are driving flat out at 50km/h so they don't think they're going slow, but all the people in normal cars behind them 50 feels like they're crawling along.
Trucks are one of the few vehicles that use those bays in my experience.
Mittagong hill comes to mind.