Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Driving to Work Costs 14k per year

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...c6f5854c8ba1c6

Surprising way Aussies stung $14k a year just to get to work

JUNE 11, 20194:05PM

Ditching your wheels could provide a surprise boost to your household budget.

Recent research from comparison website comparethemarket.com.au has shown that the average CBD worker who drives to the office spends up to $14,000 a year.

The study used a base Toyota Corolla priced from about $26,000 and worked out the yearly repayments, insurance, registration, servicing and roadside assistance costs. But the study also worked out the annual cost of petrol, tolls and parking associated with the use of the vehicle.

On average drivers in Sydney paid the most with a total yearly expense of $14,051. This was followed by Melbourne ($13,252), Brisbane ($12,442), Adelaide ($11,576) and Perth ($11,548).

A base Toyota Corolla costs about $26,000 on the road.

Comparethemarket’s money expert, Rod Attrill, believes that the cost of owning a car can exceed half its actual value in just one year.

“When you consider that a brand-new Toyota Corolla costs about $26,000, keeping your car running can siphon about half of that amount in just a year for those who regularly drive in the city,” says Attrill.

“Almost a quarter of our car expenses are in petrol and car insurance, so it’s crucial consumers take a good hard look at how they can save in these areas.”

Sydney and Melbourne both suffered from higher comprehensive insurance costs paying more than $1000 a year. The other capital cities paid about $400 less a year to insure their vehicle.

Sydney drivers are slugged the most for tolls with the average cost north of $2000 a year, or about $40 a week. And with new toll roads coming online in the next few years Sydney drivers will only pay more.

Adelaide and Perth drivers both benefited from a lack of toll roads in their cities.

However, Adelaide residents are hit with the highest on-street parking rates at close to $1000, while Sydney and Melbourne divers paid about $750. This is based on the driver parking for an average of two hours a week on the street in the CBD.

Perth motorists paid the most in registration with an average cost of $919. Melbourne was the next highest ($835), followed by Sydney ($822).

The Western capital was also the most expensive to maintain and service a car with an average cost of $837. The cheapest was Adelaide at only $599.

Petrol expenses were stable across the country with the average cost of about $1900 a year.

One area not analysed by the survey is depreciation, which can severely impact the value of a car in the first few years of ownership. Last year Queensland’s main motoring body (RACQ) revealed that depreciation could add up to $100 a week to the cost of owning a vehicle.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving to Work Costs 14k per year

If you bought a car just to drive to work and not use it for anything else, sure. But I don't know anyone who has done that.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #3
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Till there is a vast improvement in public transport, across all states, a lot of people have no choice. You cannot always get a job that puts food on the table within a short commute from the front door. All this article highlights is how they are being let down by the government and councils that should be putting together better infrastructure.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

If you only needed it as a work runabout, I'd be buying smaller & cheaper than a corolla,
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

It could cost $20,000 per year and I still wouldn't catch public transport.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
If you only needed it as a work runabout, I'd be buying smaller & cheaper than a corolla,
Agreed, and whilst I don't commute to the city, my Picanto when factoring in all the included costs mentioned above to take me to work over a year is around $5.5k.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe ULP/Diesel should'nt have the 3 or 4 taxes on it that it 'STILL DOES' after all these years since they put on???

FFS we are just all recovering in Melbourne after last week 91 went up to $1.65 until the P.H finished yesterday.

Fkin Stupid Government!!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIK6WGN View Post
Maybe ULP/Diesel should'nt have the 3 or 4 taxes on it that it 'STILL DOES' after all these years since they put on???

FFS we are just all recovering in Melbourne after last week 91 went up to $1.65 until the P.H finished yesterday.

Fkin Stupid Government!!!!
The joys of living in the big city, our fuel around here went down by 3 cpl over the long weekend
Old 11-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Agreed, and whilst I don't commute to the city, my Picanto when factoring in all the included costs mentioned above to take me to work over a year is around $5.5k.
Horses for courses indeed, for into the city, the smaller the better, for my 80 ks a day at 100 on a freeway, I'd always pick a 6 or 8 cylinder, mate of mine once brought a Echo for ballarat to melbourne and it cost him a fortune in fuel compared to his 6 cylinder commodore
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #10
JGP

Well that study assumes 'yearly repayments', Ive only bought cars I can afford with cash. I do however bike ride sometimes to the train station, plenty of my workmates have ditched the 2nd car to ride to the station and then train it to work. If I drove a corolla like the article mentions I would definitely ditch that and ride to work!!!
Whiteline sway bars,nolathane bushes, Koni reds,Kings springs,nolathane camber kit,whiteline bump stops.
Built tailshaft + billet cv, ZF + PWR exchanger + braided lines, Superpro diff bushes.
JGP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Horses for courses indeed, for into the city, the smaller the better, for my 80 ks a day at 100 on a freeway, I'd always pick a 6 or 8 cylinder, mate of mine once brought a Echo for ballarat to melbourne and it cost him a fortune in fuel compared to his 6 cylinder commodore

I can’t see how an echo would use more fuel than a 6 cylinder commodore. The commodore must have been very economical
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #12
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank goodness I'm too old to work.
Just saved myself 14 grand...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Depends on what car I drive determines if I pay $50 a week for fuel or $350 a week at the current prices

If I'm wheeling my Caprice I use a bit over 200L/week of 98 so I tend to only use it on Fridays and weekends or when I feel like being anti social and annoying everyone.

When I was working locally and driving my Focus I'd only fill it every 3-4 weeks

I'm getting bent over and spending more than $2000 a year just on tolls, who cares about the price of juice thats the bigger bug bear for me.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8 View Post
I can’t see how an echo would use more fuel than a 6 cylinder commodore. The commodore must have been very economical
At 100 / 110 ks his echo would be sitting at about 3,000 rpm compared to almost half that for his commodore, plus struggled on up hill runs

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 11-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #15
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
It could cost $20,000 per year and I still wouldn't catch public transport.
2 hours on a train is much better then 3 hours in peak hour traffic per day. You can sleep, read, YouTube or do some work.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
At 100 / 110 ks his echo would be sitting at about 3,000 rpm compared to almost half that for his commodore, plus struggled on up hill runs
Yeah but still, even then our Fiesta sits on over 3000 RPM and it still does 6L/100km.

The real joke is we have a WS Fiesta and a WZ Fiesta ST and the Fiesta ST does 6L/100km as well and one has circa 2x more power.

And the even realer joke is my VSII Caprice has the same power as the Fiesta ST and it does 17.5L/100km on the same run.
6 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I catch two trains and a plane to get to and from work.
Our Mazda CX-7 is eight years old and has just rolled over 100,000 km.

In my previous roles, I've always been given a non-FBT company vehicle to do my job....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're still paying car loan(well not everyone), rego, insurance regardless whether you drive it to work or not.

Should be paying servicing costs too though I'd imagine some would not service it as much if you're using PT.

No tolls here so really it is fuel and parking. There is an obvious saving if I were to use PT but you have to factor in what your time is worth too because it easily takes longer.

Not enough incentive for me though lucky for me I do have a bus stop right out the front if I need it.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2019, 09:35 PM   #19
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Good to know if you are a city commuter, as long as you have access to public transport.

Where I live the is only one public transport service in each direction each working day and it still wouldn't get you to the city before 1030am. You would need to leave work by 2pm to catch the service to be home by 7.30pm.
The the handy thing about this service is I'm retired and don't work.......

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #20
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
2 hours on a train is much better then 3 hours in peak hour traffic per day. You can sleep, read, YouTube or do some work.
You're Slippin' there Buddy.......

You forgot to mention how an autonomous Tesla could pick you up & deliver you to & from Work.......
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #21
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My fgx xr8 is in for warranty rebuild rear end and new driveshaft- in for 2 days. So I get a ranger to drive.

The work drive feels literally like a 10 minute drive of fun in my v8 (is 25 minute by clock)

The ranger tonight driving home felt like 35 minutes of beh this is a chore.

Driving a craptiva felt like 50 minutes of slow death.

Einstein says time is relative - happy to pay the supercharged v8 for its time relative experience for me- is like a tonic to smooth the crappy stresses of the day- money well spent in my book.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2019, 06:27 AM   #22
LTDHO
The one and only

Public transport is bad in Victoria.
I can't say I am pleased, but it is better to pay more and drive than catch the train.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
So for the times I travel.

public transport from Western Sydney to work is near on 2 hours (multiple changes needed)
In the car ... it is approximately 1 hour (mornings are 45min ... afternoons are just over an hour)

Cost for public transport is the same is what I'd pay for fuel over the week.

I'd rather be in my car and not have to share with the great unwashed
Especially in Winter ... and crap weather.

Where I park is free ... and a short walk into work.
And I avoid tolls ... as it us always slower anyway using them.

Saying that though .... if i had to work in the actual Sydney CBD or North Sydney ... public transport is really the only way to go though ... as there is NO parking ... unless you enjoy paying $80 a day for parking in some of the parking stations.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2019, 08:06 AM   #24
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, there are a lot of assumptions made here.

They assume that you are paying off a new car, along with full comprehensive insurance. Many drive an older car & just pay 3rd party insurance. They also factor in depreciation, an older car has little or none.

They also assume that you use toll roads & paid parking. Many don't use either.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #25
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

I live 40km out of town.... public transport isn't an option for me.....
Old 12-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #26
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
My fgx xr8 is in for warranty rebuild rear end and new driveshaft- in for 2 days. So I get a ranger to drive.

The work drive feels literally like a 10 minute drive of fun in my v8 (is 25 minute by clock)

The ranger tonight driving home felt like 35 minutes of beh this is a chore.

Driving a craptiva felt like 50 minutes of slow death.

Einstein says time is relative - happy to pay the supercharged v8 for its time relative experience for me- is like a tonic to smooth the crappy stresses of the day- money well spent in my book.
I’m with you on that one.

Why people choose to drive work Utes as passenger vehicles will always baffle me. Plenty never see a dirt road, or a decent load in the tray.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #27
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To catch a train in VIC, you need to be walking distance from your home station, most carparks are full early on in the morning.
Buses are a joke - its like nobody has thought about any changes since the 70's
Trams in the city probably work, but then again you're already close to the city anyway.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I’m with you on that one.

Why people choose to drive work Utes as passenger vehicles will always baffle me. Plenty never see a dirt road, or a decent load in the tray.
FBT rorts - good work federal government subsidising Thailand's manufacturing industry, you couldn't even dream this rediculous scenario up.

Supposed to walk on the grass not smoke it Canberra
3 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #29
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

This country has a long way to go in terms of transport infrastructure. The solution isn't for everybody to catch the train, not everyone lives within walking distance from a station, and as we regularly see on the news, late night arrivals at Sydney train stations isn't the safest, with thugs there to rob you or vandalise your car in the carpark. Society needs cleansing, not sure how, but the attitudes of the youth in this country are wrong, consequences for crimes are too weak (unless you're speeding down the motorway, then you cop the harshness of the law), and everyone seems disgruntled and cranky 24/7. Not sure what the solution is, but travel to places like Japan and you'll see how a society should be operating....
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
To catch a train in VIC, you need to be walking distance from your home station, most carparks are full early on in the morning.
Buses are a joke - its like nobody has thought about any changes since the 70's
Trams in the city probably work, but then again you're already close to the city anyway.
Public transport sucks, my closest train station is 16km away, then by the time the train stops at my station (every second hour) it's full and you don't get a seat.

Then I've gotta go into Melbourne CBD, change trains, go back out on a different line to inner suburbia then walk 1km to work.

Then deal with train station chock full of reffos in dodgy areas

So I leave home earlier, get to work later and have to walk on top of it while avoiding getting stabbed - just pay my $2000+ year in tolls then sleep longer in morning and get to work and home earlier wheeling about.
4 users like this post: