Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 14-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
GJH65

Default WB Festiva speedo / dash cluster

Hi all,
My daughter just bought a 95 WB Festiva. The previous owner changed the original blue dash cluster to one with a tacho (black gauges). Perhaps from a later model as the milage was quite low.
I have tested the speed readings against 1km markers. It seems at 100km/h the newer speedo reads 88/89ish.
I have the original cluster but it doesn't work at all!

The question is; are the speedos compatible? Or is it just that this newer one is no good either? I have located another later model cluster but if they are not the same ratio, not much point......

Cheers,
Graham

GJH65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: WB Festiva speedo / dash cluster

If everything works fine bar the discrepancy between displayed speed and actual speed I would just keep the cluster you have and do a few runs with the GPS to note what the differences are.

Eg, 40= X km indicated
60= X km, 80= X km, 100= X km and 110= X km etc.

Note it down somewhere in the cluster, perhaps on a post it note and after a few weeks you will memorise the change.

Perhaps they are different between a manual and auto box??

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
GJH65

Default Re: WB Festiva speedo / dash cluster

Thanks for that, tho I'd already done it.
Being it is a 17yo's car I wanted it to be accurate. No excuses for you miss!

After I posted the original question she said to me "The needle goes way under zero when stopped." Ok by how much? "About the same as it is out by!!!!"

So I ripped out the cluster, clicked it open, prised off the needle and checked behind it under a magnifying glass. Sure enough it was cracked and probably slipping on the shaft! As I still had the old one I tried the needle from that.

Hey presto, it works. With a little testing against my GPS and adjustment we got it more accurate than I thought possible.

Thanks again and I hope it helps someone else.

Graham.
GJH65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post