Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default ABC conversations - Richard de Crespingy QF32

Thought this may be interesting. I always enjoy listening to Conversations and this one is with the pilot in charge of QF32

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...=conversations

Old 04-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Spinner77

Default Re: ABC conversations - Richard de Crespingy QF32

Interesting that just two days ago ABC TV's 7.30 managed to do a segment on QF32 without a single reference to de Crespigny.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3794615.htm
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
zilo
BANNED

After listening to that pilot I am even more determined to keep flying Qantas.

Would hate to be flying with some third world pilot with doubtful credentials.

The guy is level headed, real hero material.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

best pilot on the QF32 that day was one checking the check captain: David Evans
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

I always enjoy the Air Crash Investigations show, like many highly skilled workers, you rarely see what your air crew are trained for and what they are capable of. The people on QF32 were very fortunate De Crispgny was on deck, but I'm sure most pilots in charge of a plane like that would have had the understanding to bring it home.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the link. I came in halfway through the chat, gripping story, was telling my mates at work.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
ltd
Force Fed Fords

If you guys liked that, a few years ago we did a podcast thing interviewing pilots who'd achieved notoriety for various reasons. It's at www.flightpodcast.com
Listen to episode 6 to hear John Bartels of QF30 fame (Exploding oxygen bottle on a 744). Hear his take of events, and a somewhat forensic analysis of what goes on behind the scenes, as well as his career and other fascinating things (including John Travolta at the 90th QF anniversary).

For some of you who are private pilots, go to episode 5 to listen to an interview we did with John King of Kings schools to learn some scary facts about GA and how you are 7 times more likely to die in a GA plane than in a car.
Also, episode 1 is of Eric Moodey of speedbird 9er fame.
All episodes are over an hour long and are conducted by airline pilots so you get all the guts and all; it's aimed at people with more than an interest in aviation.
An untold story is in episode 5 of an NWA DC-10 that landed in Iran in 2005 which woke up the president of the USA.

Also, we've recorded Richard De Crespigny, it is in an upcoming episode.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
If you guys liked that, a few years ago we did a podcast thing interviewing pilots who'd achieved notoriety for various reasons. It's at www.flightpodcast.com
Listen to episode 6 to hear John Bartels of QF30 fame (Exploding oxygen bottle on a 744). Hear his take of events, and a somewhat forensic analysis of what goes on behind the scenes, as well as his career and other fascinating things (including John Travolta at the 90th QF anniversary).

For some of you who are private pilots, go to episode 5 to listen to an interview we did with John King of Kings schools to learn some scary facts about GA and how you are 7 times more likely to die in a GA plane than in a car.
Also, episode 1 is of Eric Moodey of speedbird 9er fame.
All episodes are over an hour long and are conducted by airline pilots so you get all the guts and all; it's aimed at people with more than an interest in aviation.
An untold story is in episode 5 of an NWA DC-10 that landed in Iran in 2005 which woke up the president of the USA.

Also, we've recorded Richard De Crespigny, it is in an upcoming episode.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on what I took away from that ABC interview. To me he was attributing his reaction to 3 things. His RAAF training, Qantas training and also things he had picked up from other pilots. He came across as not just a pilot but as someone who lived and breathed aviation.

Do you think someone who comes though the military has any additional capability to one that has purely civil aviation training?

I was also pretty impressed with him sharing the kudos around. He gave the cabin manager big wraps.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I have read Richard De Crespigny's book on his experience, was very impressed by the man. the book was a classic tale.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
I have read Richard De Crespigny's book on his experience, was very impressed by the man. the book was a classic tale.
It is a good read. Quite forensic in it's approach really.

A pilot I used to work with and who I still see occasionally locally is mentioned in that book. I won't mention his name as it may just give things away....

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
After listening to that pilot I am even more determined to keep flying Qantas.

Would hate to be flying with some third world pilot with doubtful credentials.

The guy is level headed, real hero material.

Here here : I have been shouted down and decried on this site and others when making this same point many times before . I would much rather have a surly cabin attendant and a guy flying the thing that actually knows what he is doing than immaculate cabin service and someone who could not drive a greasy matchstick up a dogs **** let alone fly a plane . Better to arrive a little ****ed off and alive than not to arrive at all . Very topical given yesterdays debacle with that Korean jet on a manual approach in broad daylight with 100% visibility not even making the end of the runway and the pilot not even realising until it was way too late . Give me an Eric Moody or Richard de Crespigny any day of the week .
Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thout I was the only one that listened to ABC conversations

I don't know why but I love them in the back ground for late night shed tinkering and early Sunday coffee in the shed

Geezz I'm lame

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by The Yeti; 08-07-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: More to say
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I thout I was the only one that listened to ABC conversations

I don't know why but I love them in the back ground for late night shed tinkering and early Sunday coffee in the shed

Geezz I'm lame
Your not alone Yeti , Book publishers have a lot to thank the ABC for , I must buy atleast 2 dozen books a year that are featured on conversations .
Old 08-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do a lot of country long distance driving, always plan a 'rest stop' around 11AM for "conversations"
Its embarrasing I cant remember the interviewees name but he always shows a genuine interest in whom he's talking with. Its not just 'see how good I am at interviewing so & so"
Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
I do a lot of country long distance driving, always plan a 'rest stop' around 11AM for "conversations"
Its embarrasing I cant remember the interviewees name but he always shows a genuine interest in whom he's talking with. Its not just 'see how good I am at interviewing so & so"
Richard Fidler is the host. Very well read on each topic. Must spend a huge amount of time researching.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #16
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Richard is a former member of the Doug Anthony All Stars
Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris View Post
Richard is a former member of the Doug Anthony All Stars
You would never pick it though

But then if you were a DAAS fan your smarter than the average Australian comedy fan but lets face it's a little smarter than housos, I guess it's more along the lines of the chaser guys but not really

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I'd be interested in your thoughts on what I took away from that ABC interview. To me he was attributing his reaction to 3 things. His RAAF training, Qantas training and also things he had picked up from other pilots. He came across as not just a pilot but as someone who lived and breathed aviation.

Do you think someone who comes though the military has any additional capability to one that has purely civil aviation training?

I was also pretty impressed with him sharing the kudos around. He gave the cabin manager big wraps.
Richard is as passionate an aviator as you will find.
He's a technical guru and IT geek, a perfect match for the A380.
His military skill obviously helped but nowhere near as much as his understanding of the A380 and its systems.
David Evans was a massive help but Richard loves the A380 so much, that he was the best pilot to be at the controls when the incident happened. Everyone got lucky he was there, I doubt many other A380 pilots would have handled the situation as well as him. To bastardise a saying of Brian Johnson of ACDC fame: "Born to do it".
To put it another way, if there was any change in the crew that was in that cockpit of QF32 at the time, it's very likely the deteriorating aircraft would have crashed. Myself and many of my colleagues agree that the likely outcome would have been a crash similar to what we've all seen from the 747 Bagram crash where the c of g would have rushed aft causing a stall and crash.

Quote: