Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #31
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 9/11 let us remember.

This event changed my life. Within the space of a month I had dropped everything and headed to Canberra to work with the AFP. It took me seven long years to complete the job and finally come home.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #32
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

How quickly we turn this thread into a finger pointing exercise. Let's leave the conspiracy theories out of it for the time being....
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #33
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I remember the documentaries on the building of the World Trade Center buildings that showed them slotting together the outside structure, which basically hung off a backbone of the central elevator shafts to give the maximum "open plan" floor space they were trying to sell as an innovation. No skyscraper before had ever been built like that.
They then showed the Empire State Building being built the old way...masses of girders everywhere, a staggering amount of rivetting and cross-bracing...and how it copped a bomber in the side of it and only burned out a few floors on one side.

The WTC really was quite innovative, gotta give it that. The central core was load bearing, as always, but unusally, the outter walls were all load bearing as well. The floors were huge truss sections that were craned in and bolted to the central core and outer walls - no steel columns or girders in the whole place. Problem was, the floor was only bolted to the outer walls with a few bolts, and when those walls deflected in the heat the bolts gave way, and as soon as a few floors fell onto the next, those floors underneath couldn't take the weight and it all came down like a pack of cards. The buildings were incredibly strong to take the impact of the planes, but once compromised they didn't stay up long enough - hence all the conspiracy theories about controlled demoltion etc.

The Empire State on the other hand... I heard they've gone back and looked at it with computer modelling etc, and the building has several times more concrete and steel in it than it actually needs to stay up.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #34
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

I remember this very vividly. I was in grade 5 on school camp in Canberra.

I woke up that morning and came out into the main area to see the guys in my cabin watching the news and everyone thought it was a movie.

The phone in the reception of the place we were staying exploded with phone calls from parents worried that Canberra would be attacked next. Bit hectic for a group of 10 year old kids to be caught up in.

Regardless of whether you think George Bush did it or if you think it was aliens who just wanted a hot dog, 3000 people died.

RIP.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #35
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Really is a one topic thread ..... everything to do with the following results can be discussed in another thread if required (& not political) as this one is for those that were effected 9/11 as sad as it is & was.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #36
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will remember it by not ever thinking about it again. And dont remind us about it again next year. Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #37
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember waking up in the morning and seeing it on TV. I was still in primary school.

Since a mate showed me a video about it a few years ago I have been very interested in it. I have researched hundreds of webpages and some of the things you find don't add up.
But that's a story for another day.

Early in the year I went to the ground zero memorial in New York. It's a completely different atmosphere. When you start seeing photos, names and pictures kids have drawn, that is when you really start to think about how many people died and all of their families. Then you step outside and there is the new WTC towering above everything. It was an eerie feeling after seeing the memorial. I wouldn't ever want to go into that new WTC
Old 11-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #38
HELLOYOU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will be moving on.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #39
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

There is an obscure little saying that might remind some on the reasons these type of events should always be remembered .....

'LEST WE FORGET'

It will be a sad day when these types of events are forgotten and people just move on.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #40
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I'm always touched by the outpouring of sympathy from other nations for that tragic day. In the media we see lots of resentment toward the US for whatever reason, so the reactions to that day were both surprising and comforting.

I was in the unemployment office for an eligibility review that day. I had been out of work for about 5 months at that point. After the review I stayed behind to use their computers to try to learn Microsoft Excel.

Then I overheard someone saying something about a "small, twin-engine plane" hitting one of the World Trade Center towers. Soon they had a TV on, and we realized it wasn't a small plane and it wasn't an accident.

It became apparent that the office was going to close, so I headed for home. At the time one of the local TV stations ran a simulcast over the radio, so I listened to that as I drove home ... and heard the news of the first tower collapsing.

I lived in New York state briefly in 1989/90, and before I moved away I visited the World Trade Center, so I have a few old pictures from there.

Since that day, I have met two people who were in the Pentagon the day of the attack. One had just moved to a new office--if he had been in his old office that day he would be day. Another was involved with the long-term cleanup effort there.

I work in the defense industry, so within a week I was back to work, not for any reason I would have hoped.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #41
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I remember it well .... I was on nightshift that night and we have TVs on in the background ... when all channels cut over to it.

Our room went silent for what seemed like an eternity.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #42
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
And check this out;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLW0jKKRXMo
Its real, I've read accounts of this phone call elsewhere but to watch it like that, chilling stuff.
Wow that is definitely chilling footage :(
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #43
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I just went up to the roof to check out the lights and they are amazingly bright. I took a quick photo with the phone but it doesn't show up as well as it does in real life

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...911_204853.jpg

The empire state building is lit up red, white and blue and I think the new WTC is as well however there are a few buildings blocking the view of it.

Last edited by Duffman; 12-09-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: update link
Old 12-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #44
glavas

One must admit tho that no matter how tragic from a military point of view the planning and execution of the operation was near on perfect. But just like the japs in 1941 all they did was poke the sleeping bear.

Ps why does no one ever mention the pentagon people died there too?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #45
bungarra

I remember seeing come on TV with "America Under Attack", then when I heard the Penatagon got hit, I tried calling a friend in Wahington,took a day to finally get through to his wife who said he was ok, woke up late and was almost at the Pentagon when he saw the airliner come in low and hit the Pentagon. Had he been on time,he would have been near the impact site.

Even upto now he says he still replays the image of the plane hitting the Pentagon and still feels the same emotion every time.

Sad loss of life for the sake of few hard core zealots, who wouldn't do the same themselves.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #46
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

R.I.P 9/11 victims
i remember the first bulletin on the telly, did`nt know whether it was an accident or not, then the second jet hit, i was thinking holy **** ww3 is happening or about to happen, as well as the pentagon destruction, was`nt there also another passenger aircraft with terrorist`s on board that crashed with brave passengers that tackled the terrorist`s ??
Old 12-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #47
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

yeah there was another hijacked plane that was taken down by its passengers according to the reports.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #48
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
R.I.P 9/11 victims
was`nt there also another passenger aircraft with terrorist`s on board that crashed with brave passengers that tackled the terrorist`s ??
Yep, Flight 93. Black box recording suggests that the terrorists deliberate crashed into the ground when the passengers and flight attendants attempted to take control of the aircraft.

Associated press released a story on the morning of 9/11, the story said "A Boeing 767 out of Boston made an emergency landing at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport due to concerns that it may have a bomb aboard, said Mayor Michael R. White.

White said the plane had been moved to a secure area of the airport, and was evacuated.

United Airlines identified the plane as Flight 93. The airline did not say how many people were aboard the flight"

Associated Press later retracted the story. One news site left the story up for almost 2 years which created a stir.

Some people also believe the coroner said no human remains or luggage were found at the crash site of flight 93.
I guess the explosion took care of it all pretty quickly.
Old 13-09-2012, 04:07 AM   #49
zilo
BANNED

It was a disruptive time for televison viewers.

I was watching TV waiting for Start Trek to come on and after an hour I got bored watching the same video snippets over and over.

So I went to bed.
Old 13-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #50
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg

I was watching TV waiting for Start Trek to come on and after an hour I got bored watching the same video snippets over and over.

So I went to bed.
Sorry to hear that this disaster interrupted your Star Wars viewing
Old 13-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #51
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg

So I went to bed.
What is wrong with you??
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 13-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #52
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I would be quite sure in saying that it was on TV when I got up in the morning as I watched it when I got up and continued watching until midday

As far as what Ugg said .... benefit of the doubt I am sure he is saying he was only young at the time .....

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Woke up in the morning, got out of bed to watch some Pokemon on CheezTV and its all news showing a plane smashing into two buildings.

Mum turned off the TV because she didn't want me watching it, was in Grade 5, I'm really interested in the event as its a major part of history that took part during my life that I can remember.
Old 13-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ZmM...eature=related

1 hour and 40 minutes of just footage of the whole event.
Old 13-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #55
Itsme
Experienced Member

I remember the innocent victims.......RIP
Old 14-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #56
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
I would be quite sure in saying that it was on TV when I got up in the morning as I watched it when I got up and continued watching until midday

As far as what Ugg said .... benefit of the doubt I am sure he is saying he was only young at the time .....

Thanks for your comments, but my point is I didn't see it (911) as qualifying for anything anywhere near the significance that has been placed on it by us Australians.

If we focus on all the attrocities committed in the last 40 years by all the conflicts by all parties then we would have a minutes silence almost every hour of ever day.

I am Australian.

I save all my condolences and respect for Australian Rememberance day.
Old 14-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #57
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
Thanks for your comments, but my point is I didn't see it (911) as qualifying for anything anywhere near the significance that has been placed on it by us Australians.

If we focus on all the attrocities committed in the last 40 years by all the conflicts by all parties then we would have a minutes silence almost every hour of ever day.

I am Australian.

I save all my condolences and respect for Australian Rememberance day.
Nothing to say to that. Really haven't ........

Better close it now. Quite speechless actually ....

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread