Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Chrysler 300C June 2012

Chrysler 300C: first drive review
By Paul GoverCarsguide18 January 2012EmailPrint+-
The new C is looking like a winner, as the awesome Aussie dollar allows Chrysler Jeep to go very, very sharp on the price.
Paul Gover road tests and reviews the Chrysler 300C in the US.
After more than a year on the missing list, the Chrysler 300C is finally back. It arrives by June with more finesse and refinement, an expanded five- car lineup, and a price line starting from around $45,000.

The new C-car retains the Detroit gangsta style that make the previous model a surprise hit in Australia, but there are refinements in most areas. It is fitted with the latest 3.6-litre Pentastar V6 engine already seen in the Jeep Grand Cherokee, the cabin has a huge makeover, and there is an SRT8 hotrod with a 6.4-litre V8 to rattle its rivals at FPV and HSV. Eventually there will be five models of the 300C with a broad spread of prices and equipment.
And the body? Yes, smoother but still tough. Australia got short-changed on the switch to the new C-car, as left- hand production took priority over exports from America, but Chrysler Jeep Australia is still forecasting half-year sales of around 2000 cars once it gets moving with the new model. Who knows about 2013.
Chrysler is also confident that it won't be hurt by the large-car slide that has seen so many people bailing out of Commodores and Falcons.
"I think the package we're bringing, and the car's value, will bring a lot of people back to that segment," says Clyde Campbell, managing director of Chrysler Jeep Australia.
VALUE
The new C is looking like a winner, as the awesome Aussie dollar allows Chrysler Jeep to go very, very sharp on the price. Campbell won't be specific on the bottom line, but the car is going to be a cheaper - a lot cheaper - than the old model with a lot of standard equipment.
"If you look at what we've done with the Grand Cherokee we'll follow a similar path," he says.
The Jeep dropped by around $15,000 and that sort of percentage drop on the 300C will be great for customers.
"It will be north of $40,000, south of $50,000," Campbell says.
The lineup starts with a regular 300C petrol V6, moves through a similarly-equipped 3.0-litre diesel model and then on to the revamped SRT8 with a big-bore 6.4-litre V8. But that's not all, as Campbell wants two extra cars, including a mid-range V6.
Assessing the value is hard without knowing the final specification, but the 300C is available in the USA with all sorts of trick stuff including adaptive cruise control, a giant colour display panel and even a sound system from doof-door brand Dr Dre.
Looking for rivals takes you straight to the homegrown Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore, at least for size, but it's important to look at the bottom line. The 300C is not just a starter car, but more premium and more likely to be shopped against a Calais or even a Statesman - especially by hire car drivers.
TECHNOLOGY
The biggest single improvement on the 300C is an eight-speed automatic, a first for any American car, with the V6 engine. Other models only get a carryover five, but it will be a big selling point on the starter car in combination with a new V6 that's way better than in the past in everything from smoothness to 218 kiloWatts and 353 Newton-metres.
Using Mercedes-Benz technology gives the C-car an edge on things like adaptive cruise control and even lane-departure warning, and there is Garmin satellite navigation on the touch screen.
But the basics are basic - a big engine in the nose, seats for five adults, with rear-wheel drive - and the technology is icing and not the cake.
DESIGN
The chunky, threatening gangsta look is carried into the new 300C, but the car has been softened. The edges are more rounded, there is more finesse, and - really - more style in the body.
The giant changes are inside, where Chrysler finally gets serious on quality. That means everything from soft-touch plastics, and less individual parts to squeak and rattle, to great looking soft blue lighting on the dials. The front buckets are reshaped, there is more space in the back seat, and the look is more Euro luxury than 'she'll be right' American.
The standard 300C rolls on 17-inch wheels but the car looks even better on optional 20s and the SRT8 gets all the good stuff - giant wheels, six-piston front brake calipers, hunkered-down suspension and spoilers.
"The style of the 300C is still unique. The first 300 was a polarizing car, but this one has appeal for a wider section of the market," trumpets Campbell.
SAFETY
Chrysler is aiming for a five-star rating with the 300C and that means a full house of airbags, including one for the driver's knees, as well as the usual ESP and ABS package. Ask them and you'll hear about 70 safety ands security systems, from a push-start button to brakes that get ready alert and rain brake protection.
DRIVING
The new 300C is a very impressive car. It's much more refined than before, nicely quiet at highway speeds, roomy in the cabin and boot, and you can see and feel the added cabin quality. But the Carsguide preview drive is not ideal. It's just a few hours in Detroit and the only car available is a 300C S with a 5.7-litre V8 that's not coming to Australia.
But the basics are the same, and that's enough to get a good feel for how it will go in Australia.
The new C-car still looks big and strong - especially when we line it up alongside a Commodore badged as a Pontiac G8 for the USA - but it's softer in the detailing, and especially in the cabin. If the base car rides as well as the S on its 20-inch rims it will be great down under, and we cannot wait to try the smoother Pentastar V6 with the eight-speed on home roads.
The steering is still a bit vague, and some of the plastics are not as smooth as Chrysler claims, but there is a lot to like and the chunky Chrysler definitely ticks a lot of boxes. Now we have to wait for the price and features to see just how well the 300C will go, and if it's really been worth the wait.
VERDICT
Look out Falcon and Holden, the gangsta is back on the streets.
RATING

CHRYSLER 300C
Price: from $45,000 (estimated)
Warranty: 3 years/100,000km
Engine: from 3.2-litre V6, 218kW/353Nm
Body: four-door sedan
Transmission: 8-speed automatic, rear-wheel drive.
OTHERS TO CONSIDER
Ford Falcon - 3 stars
Holden Commodore - 3.5 stars
Toyota Camry - 3.5 stars

Last edited by csv8; 26-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
nstg8a

Default Re: Chrysler 300C June 2012

lol he ranks the camry above the falcon...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a video on youtube about this car not long ago and honestly, from what I could see, the build quality was appalling. A BA XT would give it a run for it's money in the quality stakes. Check out the pathetic plastic joins in this screenshot. It's a shame because I like the car otherwise. But hard grainy plastic not put together properly? No thanks.

Old 22-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Saw a video on youtube about this car not long ago and honestly, from what I could see, the build quality was appalling. A BA XT would give it a run for it's money in the quality stakes. Check out the pathetic plastic joins in this screenshot. It's a shame because I like the car otherwise. But hard grainy plastic not put together properly? No thanks.

That's what lets down a lot of new American cars...you'd almost think the design teams doing the exterior and he interior had never met or beento the same meetings. I still love the 300C...the seats are amazing, the diesel is a great engine, but while the exterior styling makes you go "Wow!", when you get inside it makes you go "Awww..."
Looks like we miss out on the all wheel drive version that's available on all models from top to bottom in the USA as well...

...but for some reason I'd still have a diesel one in a heartbeat...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Is the Dodge Charger available in Australia? I hated the first generation of the current car, but I love the restyle!
Old 22-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant wait to steer the 6.4 srt8. Be a bit of an upgrade from my 5.7.

New version looks cool, but i still prefer the current model one.

And no Moby, no Charger here unfortunately.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
Is the Dodge Charger available in Australia? I hated the first generation of the current car, but I love the restyle!
of course not
Old 23-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Cant wait to steer the 6.4 srt8. Be a bit of an upgrade from my 5.7.

New version looks cool, but i still prefer the current model one.

And no Moby, no Charger here unfortunately.
The SRT Jeep GC and the 300C are here, though only one of each. Arrived last week.
Old 23-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 200C would be interesting..replacing the Sebring..but not likely.
I would like the Magnum here...
From Motor Trend..No matter how it comes off the tongue, there's no music in this name, no boogie. SRT comes alive only when you key up the combustion. This newly introduced Dodge Magnum SRT8 is about more than horsepower-it's about moving through traffic with gunfighter confidence. But its 425 Hemi horses tend to dominate the conversation.

Zero to 60mph in 5.1 seconds has a way of doing that. Breaking out the far end of the quarter-mile at 106 mph after only 13.6 seconds of hammer-down time gets respect, too, especially in a 4379-pound box full of space for five people and 27 cubic feet of cargo.
Old 23-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win

Not to mention it appears to be the head light switch which is mounted low on the dash a long way away from the steering wheel???
(I do see AUTO there, which i assume means the lights come on automatically in low light conditions? but still... why isnt it mounted on the steering column????)

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

...and then Chrysler expresses an interest in joining V8 Supercars....

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...123-1qcpq.html

Lukeyson
Old 23-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
GT-E

The quality from Chrysler is far better over the past 24 months than it has ever been. Our Jeep has none of the nasty plastic and poor build quality of the older models. We put it against the Q7 Audi and X5 BMW and they were very similar in quality, but only 2/3 of the price. The interior is far better put together than my GT-E and has way more advanced technologies. I will be seriously look at replacing my GT-E with a SRT8 Jeep or may be the new 300C, as Ford has not done enough to get me to buy another of their products.
To find out how well a car is built just needs some time trawling the forums for that make. There are many happy owners of Chrysler products now, especially coming form people who have owned the last 10 models and comment on how well the new ones are going. Ford will really need to do something to keep the loyal buyers, as the competition has stepped up a big step and Ford need to as well.
Old 23-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Uwish

GT-E,
Spot on, we looked at a New Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland chock full of **** for 75k. A/C seats FFS!!!
Nothing from BMW / RR / Merc comes close
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The Taurus SHO has heated and cooled seats. Keeping the Falcon local has obviously meant we've missed out on all the goodies the Taurus has received. Join them together in a Global car and things will hopefully change.

But not before 2016....pity....

The competition is way ahead of Ford Oz, not Ford.

Lukeyson
Old 23-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is going to target the Falcon and Commodore head on ... I think its going to come down to the pricing they set out on these ...
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
This is going to target the Falcon and Commodore head on ... I think its going to come down to the pricing they set out on these ...
Thats Chryslers plan but supply might be an issue...
Old 24-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Id be interested to see how much the TDi is.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #18
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
...and then Chrysler expresses an interest in joining V8 Supercars....

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...123-1qcpq.html

Lukeyson
Yeah...good luck with that...I stil recall one of the heads of the V8 supercar snooze-fest (It's Commodore, Falcon, Commodore, Falcon...oh look...another Commodore!!! Exciting!!!) who, when a manufacturer who made rear wheel drive V8's like Toyota (in the Lexus) put out feelers about getting in on the racing, angrily said something like: "We've built this formula from the ground up, and we're buggered if some blow-in is going to come and take the glory!"
Poor guy was probably having nasty flashbacks of the GTR Skylines using the black magic of technology to beat the dinosaurs on the track...

With the 300C the diesel pricing is going to be interesting for a lot of people, seeing as how Ford and Holden seem to be dragging thier heels when the rest of the world sees diesel as the "natural" way to get amazing economy out of a large car...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
The Taurus SHO has heated and cooled seats. Keeping the Falcon local has obviously meant we've missed out on all the goodies the Taurus has received. Join them together in a Global car and things will hopefully change.

But not before 2016....pity....

The competition is way ahead of Ford Oz, not Ford.

Lukeyson
The Taurus SHO isn't selling very well. It's an impressive car, but it's very expensive. Ford isn't advertising it much, either.

The restyle (can't remember if it's going to be a 2012 or 2013 model) looks much more aggressive, though, and it has Ford's new "face."

RWD fans in the US don't like the AWD setup on the SHO because the engine is mounted transversely and the AWD is FWD biased.