Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Kandos cement closing down

The iconic company announced it would be shuting down in the next 4 months, there are many reasons for this, however the CEO has been quoted

"Current regulation and government imposts are also an increasing burden on manufacturing and the carbon tax will only exacerbate this."

Could be a sign of things to come...

cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Kandos cement closing down

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
The iconic company announced it would be shuting down in the next 4 months, there are many reasons for this, however the CEO has been quoted

"Current regulation and government imposts are also an increasing burden on manufacturing and the carbon tax will only exacerbate this."

Ive heard of more than one other large iconic organisation considering simular

pretty sad and not so great for our economy, but hey we need to do our bit for the enviroment

I'm all for working more enviormentaly frendly, but surly tax insentives to encorage R&D in this area would be better all round than slapping another tax on us

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

source?
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
source?
http://www.mudgeeguardian.com.au/new...g/2220325.aspx

I found this article on the subject

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
http://www.mudgeeguardian.com.au/new...g/2220325.aspx

I found this article on the subject
thanks. i'm a big fan of their car show & it seems like a nice little town
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap

The Carbon Taxt hasn't even been released yet. There are barely any details.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
to us pelbs thats the case, but they were listed in the 500 that would be hit so you cant tell me there hasnt been hi end meetigns with the government and snr managment?

Old 08-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
Correct, however to many I think the carbon tax is just the final straw. I would suggest they were finding things difficult, invested a large amount of money to try and improve their process (as per the article try to increase profitability) - still to struggled, sat down thought about what the future holds and made a decision.

@ Yeti do us plebs know who is listed in the top 500? - I would like to see that list.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

A guy called 2GB talkback around 1 week ago. His mate buys 500t of cement locally per month. Since the announcement of this tax his price per ton will go up $XX as an estimate.

He then went on to say that he looked overseas for his cement supply. He will now be buying offshore, at 10% less than the locally produced product. His mate went on to say that the real price to source the cement from OS is MUCH cheaper, but the cement company increased their price to 10% below locally produced product as they knew they would get the sales anyway.

I can't remember the exact figures (they were mentioned) but there you go.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
Zero_PSI
Banned

Goverment is sending everyone broke.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Zero_PSI
Banned

Edit: Wrong thread.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2011, 12:49 AM   #12
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i grew up around Kandos and my first full time jobs were at the cement works, firstly with the contract metal fabrication company that worked there and then 4 years working for the cement company itself in the processing plant.

anyone who has been to Kandos will probably know the conection that the town had with the factory. nearly anywhere i have been i have met someone who knows Kandos cement, the cement factory was the identity of the town. taking that away will be like taking the harbour and all its attachments away from Sydney. i was just reading on facebook that the company intends to demolish the whole factory. its hard to imagine kandos without the works in the background.

i have my doubts that the carbon tax had much to do with the final decision, there were a lot of other things that would have come into it. ever since long before i started working there in 1982 it has been under constant threat of closure.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we will probably import it from china now it is so much cheaper to produce with political prisoners used for slave labour. They have great work incentives work or get shot

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
BLKWDW

The plant is owned by cement australia which is funny as its based overseas. There is still a plant based in qld and tas(cant remember where exactly) so will be interesting to see what happens to them.

They said on the radio the 93 jobs or so lost there will be like taking 90000 jobs away in syd.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Xsessi...3215500?ref=mf
Cheers Daz.
BLKWDW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKWDW
The plant is owned by cement australia which is funny as its based overseas. There is still a plant based in qld and tas(cant remember where exactly) so will be interesting to see what happens to them.

They said on the radio the 93 jobs or so lost there will be like taking 90000 jobs away in syd.
The same mob that closed Geelong Cement.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #16
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKWDW

There is the cement milling plant at Bulwer Island in Brisbane, and our clinker plant here at Gladstone.
They closed the Rocky plant a bit over a year or so back, and we took on quite a few people from there.

We received a letter on Thursday about the Kandos plant and once they run out of the raw materials that are in stock for making their clinker, the plant will be turned off.

Regarding our plant, who knows what will happen, but I'm sure that the carbon tax debate will have an impact somehow.
Our clinker plant has been running for 14 years now, and a fair bit of the structural/fixed equipment is getting quite old & worn out.

We've been told from a number of years ago repeatedly, that the only thing stopping them importing clinker from the other Cement Australia (Holcim) plants in Asia, was the cost of shipping.

Just have to wait and see I suppose.

Ed
Old 09-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #17
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I was talking to a customer who runs a cement operation the other day who said that the carbon tax would hit them very hard as concrete, is a major contributor to carbon emmisions. I assume that is through its production and transportation.

A major price rice would see people look to alternate, low carbon materials, exactly what the govt wants.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #18
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Correct, however to many I think the carbon tax is just the final straw. I would suggest they were finding things difficult, invested a large amount of money to try and improve their process (as per the article try to increase profitability) - still to struggled, sat down thought about what the future holds and made a decision.

@ Yeti do us plebs know who is listed in the top 500? - I would like to see that list.

I dont beleive so, but there was an interview with the CEO on old people talk back radio on Friday and he said that they were on and that as a result there busienss wouldnt be viabel

The up shot is we will now import this heaviest of building porducts as it will be cheaper than working under the constraints of the govt. it will be coming from a place that doesnt give a rats about the enviroment or its workers

Nice work Jules

Old 10-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #19
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Pollies on Facebook are well aware the carbon tax IS the final straw with this plants closure. It's demise though surprised the local MP's.

We'll simply import more stuff as this plant, and other industries, including some 14 or so mines shut, ending a few jobs.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #20
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
We'll simply import more stuff
From countries who dont give a rats rear obout global climate thingy.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #21
Hally

Thats the clanger in all the carbon tx debate. What Australia saves on carbon emissions through these taxation measures, it will be replace (or increased) by moving the production overseas to countries who don't have enviromental controls, worker safety standards etc.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post