Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 22-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #31
Kryton

Default Re: Trip right around Australia - What to do, and what do I need to know?

Water
Credit card with a couple of grand
Full Comp insurance
Food
Warm and cold clothing.
Maybe a satellite phone if your going to be too far from anywhere
basic tools and 1 spare tyre.
Consider hiring an EPIRB.
Your not going bush or offroad so that should see you through.
Old 22-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #32
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Re: Trip right around Australia - What to do, and what do I need to know?

What exactly is an EPIRB?

edit: i'll get one of those too.. would come in handy..
Old 22-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #33
Kryton

Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons.
Get in trouble, set it off, and someone will come to your rescue
Old 22-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #34
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Make sure to keep it in a safe and secure place if you do decide to take an EPIRB.... Very costly if you "accidentally" set it off.
Old 22-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #35
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An Epirb is a bit overboard isn't it? All of the places you are going to are joined via major highways with plenty of traffic around. You aren't heading to isolated areas where you are going to be the only car passing for 3 days, so an Epirb is really over kill and a waste of money, condsidering you will never use it.

You are sticking to the major highways. Just get a mobile phone with a Telstra SIM card. Telstra are rip off bastages but they give you the best coverage in country areas if you have issues and need to ring up the NRMA. Other than that, just wave down the next truck or walk to back to the last house. You aren't doing an outback adventure, just a quick lap around on highway 1!
Old 22-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #36
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Well in that case, stay well away from the Nullabor Plain!
Nullarbor is a great bit of road its the bits either end that suck If its just the main roads your using with a few slight detours the basics and fuel and water should see you right .. a good UHF is a must or a Sat phone not much elsle will get coverage in a lot of places out their.

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Old 22-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #37
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
What exactly is an EPIRB?

edit: i'll get one of those too.. would come in handy..
You don't want an EPIRB you want a PLB if you are thinking of leaving the blacktop and disappearing into the bush, EPIRB's are for the Maritime sector, or boats/ships for those that dont know what that is....

Quote:
For land use, which of course includes 4WD touring, AMSA, (the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, who are responsible for detection and search and rescue in our 52.8 million square kilometre region of world responsibility), recommend the use of a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon). They are smaller and more lightweight than an EPIRB, and are thus easily carried on your person, in a backpack or in the vehicle. EPIRB’s are essentially designed as maritime distress beacons, because they have inbuilt flotation, and an inbuilt strobe light. Generally, an EPIRB will be a larger unit than a PLB.
Quote:
PLBs are portable units that operate much the same as EPIRBs or ELTs. These beacons are designed to be carried by an individual person instead of on a boat or aircraft. Unlike ELTs and some EPIRBs, they can only be activated manually and operate exclusively on 406 MHz. And like EPIRBs and ELTs all PLBs also have a built-in, low-power homing beacon that transmits on 121.5 MHz. This allows rescue forces to home in on a beacon once the 406 MHz satellite system has gotten them "in the ballpark" (about 2-3 miles).Some newer PLBs also allow GPS units to be integrated into the distress signal.This GPS-encoded position dramatically improves the location accuracy down to the 100-meter level…that’s roughly the size of a football field!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 22-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #38
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Thoroughly check you car and repair anything before you set off

Plan your accommodation well in advanced, phone to confirm things haven't changed a couple of days in advance of when you arrive. If you want to try camping I would recommend a 30 second tent (sleeps 2 people)

Tell people where you're going and when your expecting to get there, phone when you get there

An extra 5ltrs of fuel is next to useless, note you can not carry fuel inside the cabin or boot, so plan your fuel stops

Extra Water and food is recommended

RACQ or NRMA or similar recommended

Roof racks or a capsule come in handy

Driving lights

Radiator hoses + belts + bars leaks + tool kit + tape + cable ties + wire + hacksaw blades

Extra spare tyre and repair kit, correct tyre pressures are important

Unpack your car each night and take your stuff into the motel room, or else things will get stolen

Digital Camera + batteries + sim cards

Esky for cold drinks

Crossword puzzle book for when it gets boring (which it will)

It gets very very very hot outback, make sure your aircon is working

Fuel is very expensive once outside of the major cities and you will use plenty

Make sure you understand when the monsoon season happens

Very important make sure you taken good reliable mates who do not expect 100% perfection, things may go wrong, the last thing you need is a whinger(s)

You're set! Good luck and enjoy, send photos
Old 22-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #39
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Beautiful...

Quite easy, and not a too big list..

I have dual fuel.. so if the gas runs out, i'll still have most of a tank of petrol thankfully..

Now, there's just one thing..

Driving lights - Would the spotlights you can get from supercheap be good enough?
Old 22-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #40
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Anything Narva is good...the others have posted up pretty much what you need.

And dam, the best stuff is off the major highways! Also you miss out on places like Fraser island and Lake Eyre.

Ok so, as far as i can think right now, the bare minimum:

two spares with a puncture repair kit, not the plastic ones.
In car UHF
HF radio
coolant
4 jerry cans, 2 or fuel, 2 for water
spare bits including the s belt, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, radiator hoses and clamps (maybe more?)
2 fire extinguishers
a fresh, complete medi kit with a belt for snake and spider bites
a Ufixit windscreen repair kit
an esky containing food and beverages in ice to last everybody for at least 2 days. (or if you wanna $$ up, go better and buy a Waeco/Engel fridge.)
Appropriate tools
cable ties
duct tape
WD40/RP7

EPIRB not neccesary if you have sufficient communication devices (HF/UHF sat phone etc) You wont be needing it as where you do need it, your ef wont make it.

Mmm cant think of any more at the moment...should look over everyones posts and compile a list from them.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 22-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #41
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

For what you want to do, lights from supercheap are good enough, try and get a strong construction light, I think metal construction is better than abs plastic construction.

100W driving lights (not spot lights) are cheap. Try to get them with H1 globes which are cheap to replace too. If you want to spend the extra go for lightforce lights.

HID spotlights are available they use less power for similar lighting.

Remember extra lights will kill a weak battery or a lightweight alternator. So check your battery/alternator

You will need a relay and an extra switch separate from your high beam switch. Driving lights are fine for most driving situations they spread the beam so you can see what lurking in the scrub etc.

Keep your receipt so if/when the lights break you might be able to get an exchange from the nearest local supercheap.

Forgot to mention first aid kit + a reasonable GPS with up to date maps
Old 22-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #42
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

xrghia - you're 15 right? How do you intend to do all that driving without a license? If you'll be on your Ps by then (which I doubt -don't think you can get Ps until 17??, but I may be wrong), you will be a moving road hazard because you will be restricted to 90kms so up to 20km/h under the legal limit for fully licensed drivers.

It's a nice dream you've got in wanting to do this, but not very practical, IMO.

But if you do actually go, I'd get a roof luggage pod too, and pull all your clothes etc in that to keep the back free for spare wheels, tools, water, rations and blankets.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 22-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #43
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

I'll be 16 this august, therefore by the end of next year (when i want to do this) i'll be 17

Its one thing i've been wanting to do, and i just see it as better to do while i can, instead of waiting and continually putting it off then never being able to do so..

Aslong as I can get a full list of everything, it should be fine..
Old 22-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #44
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Haha yeah i was plannin a trip like this when i was 15 (18 now)...but of course when youve got friends like mine you can forget it.
Money is also a massive issue, plus after 6 months you would not have a job anymore.
Unfortunatly thats how it is, if you got the finances and wont have a problem with work then happy days!

Also 90 is crap for highways, ive done so much highway driving to know this, very dangerous when trucks try to get around you, even worse on single lane (unless like outback roads where its easy for anything to get around if you so happen to be going 90)...i find 100 more suitable but of course im not promoting exceeding your licence speed limit, especially critically if you havent been on your P's for long (experience related).
(Not looking to start a speeding do gooders vs myself here so please refrain or take it to PM if you have a problem )

Bottom line is its do-able if you have the money and work sorted!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 22-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #45
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

well it really depends...

thats just a rough idea of where we are going from then to etc..

I know i won't be speeding at all, especially interstate where I have never been before.. besides, for a trip right around aus, im not scared to go along some quite backroads/dirt tracks etc
Old 22-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #46
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Fair nuff.

Sure if you find the nice backroads. Outback back roads and tracks are full of corrugations and somtimes sharp rocks and such, also depends on when its been graded or if recent flooding has damaged the road bad enough.

Its a hit an miss sorta thing....

Subaru Outback '02
Old 22-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #47
MAV50L
Banned

Seriously do some smaller trips first off to get experience.
I have been doing this sort of stuff for years and still have to get around to doing the big lap.
Experience is the main thing that will make your trip enjoyable and keep you alive.
Your going to have a busy year next year. Twin turbo and supercharged BA motor into your wagon , a trip around australia..............................do you have a huge inheritance coming or in all honesty are you dreaming?
Old 22-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #48
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

cheers guys...

got all the info i need
Old 22-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #49
buggo
[BU66OS]

Yeah practice long drives.
When I went to schoolies last year, me and my mate went 2hrs on 2hrs off for 10hrs, and I can tell you, we were both buggered when we got there and didn't even go out on the first night.
I had a good dinner and a long sleep the night before we left too so I wasn't in need of a catch up.

Also, get a job at maccas or something and start saving every dollar religiously. Money, espicially on a holiday like this, goes fast. You don't want to be in Dawin with $500 left.

I hope this happens for you mate, would be something to remember forever before you become a grown-up.

edit: will you still be in school next year?

BA XR8 Manual
Old 22-03-2011, 11:56 PM   #50
StarDeala

Something most people never think about. if you're going to travel AROUND Australia, do it on the inside lane... ie. counter-clockwise, so start in Syd, head to Cairns, across to Darwin, Broome, down to Perth, Adelaide etc... you will save yourself close to 800k's. (not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but its an interesting fact).
Also, better to drive a diesel as outback area breakdowns/lack of fuel can be fixed by your friendly truckie, for a fee of course
Old 23-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #51
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

cheers guys, will keep this all in mind..

and buggo-gt, yeah, i will be, but im only there to do my year 12 ITVET stuff for half the year anyway, then im outta there and either straight into another job, or holidays (holidays will be the first)
Old 23-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #52
buggo
[BU66OS]

Ah sweet then, would be a good ending to your school life.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 23-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #53
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you go to the super market you can buy 10 or 15 litre containers of drinking water with a an inbuilt tap like a cask, they are excellent for road trips, compact and cheap, if your livin outa the car/4wd some poly rope is handy for a clothes line from the car to the nearest tree or to string up your solar shower, or just makeing your lean too for a bit of shade, one thing i remember when doing the big oz trip was i took way too much stuff for every conceivable problem , i would say depending on your space think carefully about what you take because constantly trying to find/unburying stuff can make hard work of what is supposed to be a fun trip, also those $5.00 led torches are great:EDIT. i`d also keep a container of silver seal in the glove box for the radiator just in case.
Old 23-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #54
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Beautiful.

Cheers guys
Old 23-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #55
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I actually find some of these replies hilarious. Talk about overkill!

Heres my take on it all.

Firstly I like the idea mentioned of a Satelite phone and a UHF radio could also be a handy thing. Consider one of these if you have the funds. Actually I liek the idea of a UHF over the sat phone, as you can talk between cars and also fin dout info from truckies, etc. Otherwise, a regular mobile phone will suffice but forget Vodaphone, Optus, etc. As I said earlier, Testra have the best service in rural Australia and are the only ones worth having. I travel Mackay to Brisbane along the Bruce HWY regularly, which has some fairly isolated stretches along it and always have service.

Every town in Australia has food and water that is fit for human consumption believe it or not, so why get burdened with 50kg of food and water when you will rarely go past somewhere to eat every 50-150klm anyway.

Take enough water (10 litres is plenty, how often do you drink that much a day at home?) and something to chew on ( minties are good as you wont eat them all in 10 minutes and will give you a sugar hit) so that if you need to spend a day near the car if you were to break down in the most isolated part of your trip you will survive while the NRMA guy arrives.

Don't plan your accomodation at all with the exception of the most isolated regions, like Mt Isa or Broome or across the Nullabour. Ring ahead a week out before you do these stretches and if you cant get a room then just stay where you are until you can. After all there's no rush is there? You aren't travelling with kids or a pregnant wife are you? You're a young bloke. Live a little on the edge rather than trying to organise a trip the way your grandma would. Its character building and you might even enjoy it!

Things not going to plan is when you meet interesting people. If you get to a town you like and there is no accomadation available, try sleeping under the stars or in the back of your car for a night. It won't kill you! You might even like it. Just don't set up camp on top of an ant nest, or if you are in the tropics, 3 mtrs from a river or creek bank with the potential for crocs and you should be sweet. If you get somewhere and like the look of it, stay a few days/weeks. If not drive to the next town.

Driving lights are great, but my advice is to not drive long stints at night anyway, so save yourself the cash. Hitting a roo is more likely to happen early morning or at dusk so start a drive after sun up and you eliminate that hazard straight up, plus you will be able to see the potholes,etc. You will also see a lot more of the country side, which is the whole point isn't it? There are a lot of trucks on the roads at night too, so best to leave it to them.

Even with the best lights you can still hit roos, stray cattle, etc, so just stay off the road at night unless you absolutely have to be heading somewhere. If you were trying to do a lap in 2 weeks then I would invest in a good set of lights but you aren't so why would you be needing to travel at night anyway.

Take a good atlas. Haynes makes some really good ones. Head to a couple of local bookshops and get a feel for the different types available and buy one that has what you need.

Thats about it. Other than that, don't over pack **** that you will probably never need. If you ever find a need for something, thats what a credit card is for!

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 23-03-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 23-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #56
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
one thing i remember when doing the big oz trip was i took way too much stuff for every conceivable problem , i would say depending on your space think carefully about what you take because constantly trying to find/unburying stuff can make hard work of what is supposed to be a fun trip, .
I needed to hilight this incase you missed it the first time. Its the best advice on here, along with mine of course!
Old 23-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #57
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

that, has to be the best information.

thankyou to everyone that has posted.