Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
Ibrox90
Banned

Default Major road trip

So,

Im currently planning a roadtrip from Adelaide to Townsville.

Im just wondering if anyone has done this before in a BA and can provide some advice.

Not sure what car we're taking yet the turbo or the 8.

At the moment its looking like Adelaide to Bathurst bathurst to the gold coast, gold coast to Mckay Mcakay to townsville.

Anyone know any other routes?

Major under taking, Im from the UK drive that far there and your off the End

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jump on a plane and hire a car when you get there..... driving for driving sake is sooooooo boring + hire cars are fun and capable of doing things a normal car cant.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do a good check over the car before you take off, also service it with new fluids front to back, new plugs unless recently changed and make sure your tyre pressures are up to scratch regularly. If they are Autos i'd recomend putting a transmission cooler on them, the BAs are prone to failure and it ruins the gearbox by getting radiator fluid inside.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I wouldn't drive that far just for the sake of it; perhaps just try Melbourne for now?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m a bit of a fan of the coast road and the beach towns(highway one), holidaying around either stopping in motels or dragging a van around.
For the car some places will do a holiday service, check over everything to make sure you have the best chance off getting to your destination and back, tyres cooling system, oil leaks ,all filters, brakes , etc, fan belt, also i carry some wynns cooling system stop leak in case the radiator gets holed(very handy stuff).
its good to spend a bit of time and money doing prevative maintinence first and not have a single problem, it suks to be stranded, good luck with your trip.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Stock XR
K Code

Came back from Scone NSW up the inland about a month ago Moree, St George, Charters Towers & back to the coast at Townsville. Trip was great & the roads are good, keep an eye open for roo's I didn't see to many. Took me about 23 hours, 1 driver.
Do the general maintance as suggested & you shouldn't have any problems.
Stock XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I’ve done from Adelaide, up through Central SA, Broken Hill, central NSW, QLD Coast in a Mitsubishi Challenger 4WD with my father.

Long trip, we did it in 3 days, 2 nights.

I dare say if you want to do sightseeing, go via the coast, not much to look at until you get into central NSW...

I remember driving early morning in SA, ARB bull bar saved us from a big roo. Also, saw these lights off in the distance so I dipped, was a good 5 minutes before we passed the oncoming truck. LOOOOONG straights.

We just checked the usual check of fluids, etc...Car didn’t miss a beat. Wouldn’t stress about anything really mate...long distance driving will have less of an impact (IMO) on your car than driving in the city day to day. Just check your fluids and keep the tyre pressures good and you’ll be fine...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
fmc351
let it burn

Fly and hire? What for, Im guessing based off the OP part of the point is the drive. Ive always loved driving interstate. Do it, follow the prep tips above and youll enjoy it as long as youre not planning on doing it in one stint.

Read the snacks thread too.

Up the middle there is the Dubbo Zoo. What way do you plan to head home?
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrox90
So,

Im currently planning a roadtrip from Adelaide to Townsville.

Im just wondering if anyone has done this before in a BA and can provide some advice.

Not sure what car we're taking yet the turbo or the 8.

At the moment its looking like Adelaide to Bathurst bathurst to the gold coast, gold coast to Mckay Mcakay to townsville.

Anyone know any other routes?

Major under taking, Im from the UK drive that far there and your off the End
There's lots of other routes, it just depends if you want the shortest route or if your going sightseeing on the way.

I assume that it's the sightseeing type as Bathurst and the Gold Coast is not on the way.

The most direct (staying close to civilisation) would be....
Adel to Moree (Via Broken Hill). Moree to Goondiwindi (Qld border). Goondiwindi to Rockhampton. Rockhampton to Townsville.

The shortest route (but not recommended unless you want to see the real outback ) would be....
Adel to Cobar. Cobar to Bourke (this used to be dirt) Bourke to Barcaldine. Barcaldine to Hughenden (also used to be dirt). Hughenden to Townsville.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt recommend going inland. Its coming to the wet season. There has been a lot of rain inland of late.

Gold Coast to Mackay ?
In one hit?
I would suggest Stopping at Rocky, your pushing yourself getting to Mackay in 11 to 12hrs....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
driving for driving sake is sooooooo boring
I think you might be in the wrong hobby.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
hire cars are fun and capable of doing things a normal car cant.....
Yeah, like getting 'damaged' and having your credit card hit weeks after you get home
Old 11-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

awww gee sorry guys i forgot the boredom of long distance roadtrips is enjoyed by others.. just throwing an option out there instead of spending a week getting somewhere you can be kicking back in your hotel room a couple hours after you leave... no stone chips, car hassles or donations to mr plod....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Ibrox90
Banned

I cant hire the under 21 thing is a killer

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Old 11-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #15
Ibrox90
Banned

I cant hire, the under 21 thing is a killer :( nothing drives liek a hire car XD

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
Jim4850

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Adel to Cobar. Cobar to Bourke (this used to be dirt) Bourke to Barcaldine. Barcaldine to Hughenden (also used to be dirt). Hughenden to Townsville.
Cobar to Bourke is sealed or at least was a couple of years ago when I last used it. From Barcaldine go via Aramac and Torrens Creek to Townsville but about 100 or less km of it remains unsealed and is impassable with more than a teaspoon of rain, however if it's dry it's generally a good high speed dirt section and the most direct route to the NQ/FNQ coast from Melbourne.

Don't plan of buying fuel at Wilcannia, historically sharks have sold it there.
The inland is generally a good drive with light traffic and unstressful towns but don't drive at night, in particular between Blackall and Barcaldine.

For those who like the coast road there's also 300km of nothing between Rockhampton and Sarina as well as plenty of other empty places on the Bruce Highway, so it's not actually much of a different comparison.
Jim4850 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #17
Ringo
I see you....

Try to get your hands on a UHF so you can talk to Truckies etc...could be the most interesting part of the drive in many places....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #18
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know that I live in Adeliade with Mum, and my Dad lives in Townsville. Ive done the drive a few times and its NOT fun.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #19
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats the kinda trip i would love, im a big fan of the massive trips. from when i was a kid with the family and since getting my license... in the last 12 months in my turbo ive clocked up a tad short of 60,000 including a trip from the ACT- port macquarie (did in one stint on my own) and back,week later ACT- byron bay (one stint) witha car load of drunk friends... was interesting, and various non stop trips to melbourne and further south. apart from making sure the car is full of fluids and check tyre pressure each petrol stop. the Ba's handle trips like that very well.

the trip to byron included a car load of 5 big guys, luggage, grog and camping gear for a music festival and i stil got really good milage
Old 11-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #20
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I think I'll be doing GOR for sensations new years eve again this year, I smell another "so I'm off to..." thread! Should be fun, I'll take plenty of good snacks, beer and music.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #21
InTrail

Haven't driven Adelaide - Townsville before, but done Cairns - Melbourne and return a few times.

If I'm by myself, I go inland and stop at Emerald and Dubbo southbound. Just over 3000kms all up and saves over 500kms off the coastal route.
On the return leg once, I did Brisbane to Cairns in one (very long) day. Had planned to stop at Mackay but still felt wide awake after 10 hours driving so kept going. Got to Townsville, and although it's still another 3.5 hours to Cairns, felt like I was too close to home to stop.

The most frustrating stretch of road along the coast is the 230kms north of Rocky - not one overtaking lane

I wouldn't bother with any special prep for this sort of trip, just make sure fluids and pressures are all topped up. Unless you're towing, you're not putting the drivetrain under any more stress than a typical city commute.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #22
kinksta
Luxojet

I'm a mad road tripper. If you fly you miss out on the countryside and all the pretty towns along the way (not all though) and doesn't turn out cheaper unless there are big sales on flights.

I have done alot of big trips, Adelaide to Goldcoast, down to Melbourne and back home in the old auto BA XR6. My girlfriend and I do a long road trip once a year, Perth will be coming up soon.

All I did was check the fluids and tyres. Forget trans coolers and the like, cars are meant to be driven distance.

We went through Broken Hill way the first time. Then the Hay plain the next. I always find different routes, but love going through towns I have been through before incase it has changed.

If you want to know any more info don't hesitate to ask.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #23
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Stuff going through Broken Hill, Wilcannia etc etc. The OP being fresh to this country is asking for trouble going that direction. 200 to 300 K between towns.

I go to Bundy every 2 or so years from Adelaide and I travel from Adelaide, Renmark, Hay, West Wylong, Dubbo, Parkes, Forbes, Moree, Goondinwindi, Kilcoy, Bam Bam Springs to Bundy. Instead of heading from Bam Bam Springs to Bundy, head straight ahead at Childers through Gin Gin to Rocky then to Townsville.

That way, you are on major roads. You can get fuel 24/7 and the greatest distance between towns is 150 K. That's betweem Hay and Rankin Springs.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #24
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The most direct (staying close to civilisation) would be....
Adel to Moree (Via Broken Hill). Moree to Goondiwindi (Qld border). Goondiwindi to Rockhampton. Rockhampton to Townsville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
...from Adelaide and I travel from Adelaide, Renmark, Hay, West Wylong, Dubbo, Parkes, Forbes, Moree, Goondinwindi, ...
i drive to brissie every year and this is the way i go except because i live south of the city, i don't go via renmark or broken hill. i leave adelaide via the freeway and turn onto the mallee hwy just out of tailem bend. joins up just after balranald.

i like driving but i'm not into the sightseeing thing. i just drive to get there. depending on how the kids behave its normally 1.5 to 2 days of driving to brissie.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i like driving but i'm not into the sightseeing thing.
Really?...What about the two days you took to get out of Syd
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Really?...What about the two days you took to get out of Syd
thats just not going to go away is it!
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD