Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
honda99ex

Default My Insights and More Questions...

Thanks for all the help!

As I've posted I'm a new owner of a used S1 Falcon. It is used almost exclusively by gf. I love it but it has given me some grief. But everything is a learning experience. I'm not automotive minded by any means and I suspect most of my hiccups have been from not having the proper tools...

So one of the headlights had condensation in it and I pulled it out to paint/ reseal it. I loved how it turned out... for the week before it rained again. I had already decided against ever messing with headlights again - because it's freaking a PITA job breaking the seal, the headlight lens and reflector had shown some wear from persistent condensation from previous owner that I was unable to clean, even though I caked it in sealant I was worried I hadn't re-sealed it properly and in trying to sand the lights I'm fairly certain I made it worse. Lo and behold, once the rain came it was like a fish tank inside the lights. Worse than before. I think my local bunnings guy gave me the wrong sealant advice. Anyhow in the next pic the bumper cover doesn't sit quite flush. Could that gap have added to the leak? I've seen ill fitting body kits where the lights are okay. Basically if I buy new lights should i refit the bumper? Only thing is it sits quite firm with no play... I'm not even sure I can adjust that...

I got guidance from superroo's thread about the glovebox. I had no ambitious plans of fitting anything fancy. Just a bit more space. Anyhow the first pic shows the panel cover and then with the cover directly flipped above it. The second shows the cardboard mockups I made. The space isn't square. Also there is more space than what I've done if you are good at fabricating things. I'm not so I just made it as rectangular as possible. I ended up using a flexible ikea cutting board, reinforced with electrical tape. Told you it was a budget job. Finally last pic shows the test fit and me ripping off the cover before cutting a entry. You could alternatively make a hinge or something. Trying to finish it out this weekend... More pics to come.

Some other tips for the beginners like me out there.
On the door actuator fix, I bought the repair gear. Easy enough to disassemble the apparatus. However when you open the last bit with the gear in it make sure you are in a CONFINED area/use a sandwich bag. On opening I had the little springs and bits fly everywhere. I was lucky to find it. Seriously. Then because I had a s1 smaller gear, I had to tie my door up with twine for a good 3 weeks before they sourced the parts and I forgot this had happened and let the thing spring out AGAIN. This time I spent over 30 mins in the bushes finding the 5 pieces again!!! I was literally about to give up and buy a whole new one.

On the bumper sag fix, I used a screw, 2 washers, 2 nuts, 1 wingnut and 2 cable ties. There is surprisingly little movement in the cover even though it sags like hell. I ended up shoving some rubber between the cover and the white baffle.

Cool, any ideas with the lights would be great.

Cheers

honda99ex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

mate the lights looks good just like the T's now with this shelf thing why did u do that for its where a Airbag gose because u ahve the Base model u dident get a airbag
Old 14-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

The headlights turned out well...
What sealant did you use that didn't work...?

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
honda99ex

I used an entire tube of Shelley's marine sealant on that one headlight which originally leaked plus some all clear. Maybe there's a leak elsewhere? But I can't find it. =( The other one which was not leaking I just used all clear. No leak on the one but for sure the all clear cures and shrinks under the automotive heat. I just want to rule out something else before I spend money on new headlights and ruin another one... Like I said the one that was leaking had a really dull reflector and oxidation on the inside of the lens. Plus my sandpapering on the outside portion didn't help issues. Are headlights made to withstand ill fitting bodykits etc?

Yeah I got the low model without an airbag so because I was twiddling my thumbs and because I like to have the car look all destroyed for extended periods of time I decided to hack away. I'm doing it on a budget and I just wanted to make it unique. Like I said, the space is decent especially if you have fabrication skills. I went super easy. Look at superroo's thread. No cd changer or head unit will fit in there but definitely a phone or three would.
honda99ex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post