Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
HLC
Audi S3

Default Changing power steering pump!

hey all, today ive finally had enough of my noisy p/s pump.

im gonna go to the wreckers and find one with the high pressure fitting already attached and then just swap the hose over if you get my drift.

anyway, im sure it cant be too hard, but are there any tips and tricks? and removing the serpentine belt? can i wreck it etc etc

thanks

Old 07-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to remove tension from the belt, 3/8 drive ratchet fits in to the front of the tensioner(lower part), if your handle is a little short wack a bit of pipe on the end of it sometimes you can use a 1/2 drive ratchet extension to extend it if the handle is thin enough, then just put a bit of pressure on it and you`ll feel it move(ratchet handle towards the air box if memory serves).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ratchet hadle to release tension on the serpentine belt. To put that back on, just follow the diagram.
Take the thermos out first. 2 x 10mm bolts, one on each side. Take off your intake snorkle before that too.
Unclip the wiring harness, use a really small screwdriver to just slide it into the gap, and it will come off.
Ummmmm....
Pump will come off by undoing the 17mm nut on the back of the pump, and releasing both hoses, I think they are 17mm as well.
3 x 13mm bolts hold the pump on to the bracket at the front, move the wheel around to access each one. Mark which one goes where as they are 2 different lengths.
Swap pumps, and do the reverse.
To get the pump back onto the bracket, undo the 10mm bolt that holds the little brace bar onto the pump, on the alternator end. If you release this, it will make everything line up 20 times easier. Do everything up a couple of turns, once they are all in, tighten them, but not too tight.
Belt back on, thermos back in, and wiring harness back on, and your away.
Two more tips, cover your radiator with cardboard once the thermos come out so you dont hurt it.
Also to get the thermos out, lift it straight up about 1 foot. Then drop the passenger side slightly, and lift the drivers side out. They will come out on an angle from there. It might take a bit of wiggling and you might break a couple of bits of plastic off, but that wont hurt anything.

I think thats all, probably a 30 minute job, very easy, if you check out my camshaft install How To, there will be photos of it all as well.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11277062

Found it
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

thanks Monty!!! deffs something i will need to look at... i cheated and topped it up with oil for the time being til i can get down to the wreckers... and realised that the rattly sound wasnt the p/steering, just the groaning. the rattly whirring noise is the aircon compressor... i think.... always more :
Old 07-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Its not your idler pulley is it?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

nah im positive its aircon. at first i thought it was really noisy injectors/lifters. but then the noise stopped. checked in the car, aircon was on. so i was like righto.. then the noise started again (im guessing when the compressor turns on) so i flicked the aircon off and it stopped straight away. catch my drift?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

best thing would be to remove the serpentine belt and turn each pully by hand till u can source the sound

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #9
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had two air cons on 2 different cars have a rattling noise in the last 6 months. Had the aircon compressors serviced (new oil in them and re gassed) they both came up a dream quiet as ever. Well worth the money

Cheers, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

The aircon compressors get a tick to them when they're dying. I used to be able to tell by the loudness of the tick how many kays they had left to live. I had the tick in my own, but i refused to believe it was dying. Ah well, $800 later and I have wonderful cold aircon again.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought a reco unit off ebay, for a good price , sorry i can`t recall the $.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just had a look it was bayfords(on ebay) i bought my ac compressor off, i can`t see any listed at moment but you can send them an email if they have one usually you`ll get it cheaper through ebay than if you go and ask at the counter.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Bayfo...0Q2em14?_pgn=1

Last edited by mik; 08-05-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: alziemers
Old 08-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ive bought a few things off them before. Very good to deal with.