Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 16-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Fi.ES.TA

Default Air intake

On further investigation today while having a tinker
i notice there is none what so ever cold air intake from the front of the car
a big fat ZILCH oh maybe 1%, I took the airbox cover off to see how its rooted and its pretty pi#$ poor i started it up to see what difference there was and boy what a difference it actually sounds like an engine (it can breath),now i had a thought without modding to much to this system to atleast give it air because as i said earlier there is zilch getting there just thought id share this to see what you all thought and would it help any?
http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...id=57806&stc=1

Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Holy crap. I havent even opened the bonnet of our fez. I think ill just ram 10PSI down it throat, that will help it "breathe"
Old 18-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Fi.ES.TA

Well on further ivestigation today after a trip to ford parts desk this panel in
the picture is not replacable it is actually part of the front bumper grrr.My plan was to buy the part and mod it for the air intake and have my original to put back on when need be ;)

i am still going to find a way to do this and give the beast a new lease on life
there is a few ways to mod the existing design to get forced air induction that will pi#$ on any pod filters watch this space.
Old 18-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

I'm keen to see the results, good work!
Old 19-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Fi.ES.TA

Ive started to run some ideas regarding getting some cold air induction to the motor,Now what i need to no would it be noticible straight away (i would'nt think so) im thinking the ECU would have to remap itself to pick up the changes regarding the different airflow so if i am rite by thinking this how long would it take?
Old 20-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blonde question. What benifits would you see by giving the car extra air? Better sound, fuel economy, performance? Would this be similar to adding a filter?
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Fi.ES.TA

Rapid the more cold air that can be given to an engine the better for performance fuel economy it does give it more of a throaty sound,from some investigaton i do beleive fuel expands with heat so by giving it much more cooler air it stops this expansion so it burns better in the carb,hence why its always better to fuel up at night time when it is much cooler at night you gain more fuel for the dollar although you probally wouldnt notice the difference as it probally would be minimal,but yeah big benefits to be had by ramming cold air into the engine.
Old 20-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Ooh, I know this one. For a 45L Fiesta tank, a temperature rise from 20ºc to 40ºc, will increase the volume by 0.855L.
So in theory, if you filled up first thing in the morning, you would gain a little, but I doubt the temp of an under ground petrol tank would change much.
I'm sure petrol companies don't give petrol away either.
Old 20-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I had a look under the bonnet this morning after seeing your pic, why is the snorkel thing blocked off? Design fault? I might drill holes in mine tomorrow.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
Fi.ES.TA

I dont think its a design fault many cars are built with very little airflow a guys SS at work the only air flow it gets is from around the headlamp go figure that lol,in my personel opinion cutting it neatly away would be the best bet and making a clearing between the two blades in the pic i posted to get frontel air flow down the snorkel.I cant do that at the moment as i dont want to void my warranty but im working around it with something so i can easily take apart and replace after service.
Old 21-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
Surditas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.ES.TA
Rapid the more cold air that can be given to an engine the better for performance fuel economy it does give it more of a throaty sound,from some investigaton i do beleive fuel expands with heat so by giving it much more cooler air it stops this expansion so it burns better in the carb,hence why its always better to fuel up at night time when it is much cooler at night you gain more fuel for the dollar although you probally wouldnt notice the difference as it probally would be minimal,but yeah big benefits to be had by ramming cold air into the engine.
Sort of...

You'll fit more cold fuel in a tank, but you're not quite right about what cold air does when it gets into an engine.

Cool air is dense air, which means that, per unit volume, cold air has more oxygen in it. In order to keep fuel/air mixtures correct more fuel needs to be added which means more power. Alternatively, if you are discussing economy, a smaller throttle opening will be required to maintain a given RPM speed. As road speed and RPM are directly linked cool intake air means you use less fuel.

Oh, and WS Fiestas don't have carburettors.
Surditas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.ES.TA
Cold air means a denser fuel/Air charge, this denser charge will fire better and push harder on the piston. In doing this the engine will give better performance, with better performance come better fuel economy. A warm air charge is used in anti pollution devices of old as it was believed there would be less of the nasty stuff coming out the tailpipe. This is the reason you use an intercooler in a turbo engine, the cold charge not only give better ignition but also cools the combustion chamber which makes the engine last longer.
Old 21-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
crispymk2

Edit: repeated response