Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #91
HSE2

Let’s keep this thread remotely on point please.

If we are talking about future product then the discussion should be on future technologies.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #92
ltd
Force Fed Fords

SIDI = Spark Ignition Direct Injection.
WTF other source of ignition were they thinking of if not spark?
Does it mean now we all should have SI notations on our engines?
Where does it end?

I guess my engine in the g6 could be;

I6,4.0L,TC,OL,RP,SI,MPEFI,WC,IC,24V,DOHC,VVT,CC,O3 00FWKW,10PSI.

That means,
Inline 6, 4 litre, Turbo Charged, Oil Lubricated, Reciprocating Pistons, Spark Ignition, Multi Point Electronic Fuel Injection, Water Cooled, InterCooled, 24 Valve, Variable Valve Timing, Computer Controlled, Over 300 Fly Wheel Kilowatts, 10PSI boost.

So, what do I win Holden for the anachronim ****fest?

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #93
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
I suppose direct injection has been typically used in diesel engines up until now. Hence why they note that it's a direct injection spark ignition.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #94
Wally
XP Coupe

Been around as petrol for quite a while e.g. :

Mitsubishi GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection)
Renault IDE (Injection Direct Essence)

Holden are just playing catchup

Quote:
Where does it end?

That means,
Inline 6, 4 litre, Turbo Charged, Oil Lubricated, Reciprocating Pistons, Spark Ignition, Multi Point Electronic Fuel Injection, Water Cooled, InterCooled, 24 Valve, Variable Valve Timing, Computer Controlled, Over 300 Fly Wheel Kilowatts, 10PSI boost.

No prizes for the acronym, but good thought. I was thinking maybe :- Pot Injected Squirter Six. That way when you go out you are always taking the ...
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #95
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Been around as petrol for quite a while e.g. :

Mitsubishi GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection)
Renault IDE (Injection Direct Essence)

Holden are just playing catchup

No prizes for the acronym, but good thought. I was thinking maybe :- Pot Injected Squirter Six. That way when you go out you are always taking the ...
He he he

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 24-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #96
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Where does it end?

That means,

You win a Holden. Join the ranks of winners!
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #97
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I suppose direct injection has been typically used in diesel engines up until now. Hence why they note that it's a direct injection spark ignition.
As opposed to combustion ignition in the diesel's.
Old 25-08-2009, 01:16 AM   #98
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So SIDI stands for 'Spark Ignition Direct Injection'.

Revolutionary.......using a sparkplug to ignite the fuel-air mix, and all this time I thought Holdens had a monkey with a match box in the engine bay!!!

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #99
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
So SIDI stands for 'Spark Ignition Direct Injection'.

Revolutionary.......using a sparkplug to ignite the fuel-air mix, and all this time I thought Holdens had a monkey with a match box in the engine bay!!!
rofl

Just when Ford starts working on Laser Ignition Holden have now announced they have spark ignition.
Old 25-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #100
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
You win a Holden. Join the ranks of winners!
I suddenly feel so dirty. :

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 25-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #101
ltd
Force Fed Fords

This whole "out-engineering" thing that we're being promised does tend to remind us of a few years ago when the alloytech was being spun as the best engine in an Australian built car; and what a failure it was. The only thing it was/is good at is in concrete vibrators.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 25-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #102
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Holden can spin it all they like...

Ford will tell it how it is when they release their new products...

LPG is a ripper. So much so it will be detuned so that it doesn't make a mockery of the petrol variant.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #103
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Holden can spin it all they like...

Ford will tell it how it is when they release their new products...

LPG is a ripper. So much so it will be detuned so that it doesn't make a mockery of the petrol variant.
Yes this has been aluded too in the past by the LPG guys on this very forum. oh well, better to have that problem then the opposite....like holden, desperately trying to make that alloytech do the business.

I think this new LPG system could see a realy big spike in private sales of LPG. Fleets will love it, as usual, but with full power, reduced consumptoin i think more private buyers will be interested. Depending on the price premium you will not have to do the huge k's fleet guys do to get your money back either.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #104
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

This, I got off FAF.

Poor form. Poor form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkle View Post

NZ Autocar

0-100kph:
Omega - 8.34 (non SIDI 8.45 for Berlina)
SV6 - 7.12 (non SIDI manual 7.35)

80-120kph
Omega - 5.46 (non SIDI 5.60 for Berlina)
SV6 - 4.63 (non SIDI manual 4.97)

Unfortunately they don't test fuel consumption figures and only list the claimed figure in their stats.

As comparison, 0-100kph times taken from the back of the magazine for various rivals. Unfortunately no ZF equipped non-turbo times for the Falcon.

XT - 7.3
Maxima 350-L - 6.77
Aurion AT-X - 7.49
Aurion Sportivo - 7.08

Omega verdict - 6/10 Omega offers large car convenience and fuel consumption under 10L/100k, You'll wish you bought the SV6 though.

SV6 Verdict - 7/10 Extra power with reduced consumption a welcome addition to the entertaining SV6. Its $6400 premium over the Omega is worth paying for.

Some notes:

Omega spins at just 1600rpm at 100kph

On the Omega "the only bummer is the mid range torque or lack of it; the alloytec relies on power rather than pull to move, so be prepared to use those revs" and later on the SV6 "the midrange urge missing from the 3.0 is abundant in the 3.6; the power just keeps on coming as the needle sweeps around the tacho. this engine wouldn't be out of place in a sports car - although the induction and exhaust notes would need attention"

Omega feels every bit the entry model with its rough grain plastic steering wheel, cheap handbrake & nasty sharp edges

Both Omega and SV6 gets into the top gears quickly and needs a good boot to kickdown

In the braking test, the Omega took 5m longer to stop from 100kph than a previously tested Berlina. caused by recalibrating the ESP and the new ECO tyres apparently. "take corners slowly in the Omega, it doesn't much like being hustled"

and there you go!

Also off FAF it's reported the latest Top Gear mag ran a 0-100km/h time of... 7.6 seconds.... in the all-new economologically advanceded SIDI direct ijaculated 3.6.... Must have been a wet road. Must have been, surely.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #105
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Those numbers aren't very surprising Falc'man. In particular the omega SIDI engine versus previous non SIDI times. Given the engineers due...they did manage to get the SIDI engine to marginally better (ok just matched) the old times...while being over 10% down on torque. Of course like all modern day drivetrains they just do this by putting in more cogs, retuning electronic throttles the usual stuff.

on the negative the old times were very far from impressive for the large car class (hell virtually medium car for some of the faster models) and so there is not much to crow about. Makes you wonder how far ahead the marketing heads work...maybe they never put the 5sp auto into the omega/berlina at VE because it would have delivered half decent acceleration...thereby writing of this whole 3.0 SIDI program before it even got off the ground?? Out engineer indeed....

Fact is that as usual this is really only Holden catching up (if that) with what the market has already delivered. Of course in 6-12 months they end up behind yet again and stay that way for the next 2-3 years. Given the sort of investment made this time around it could be ages before any real drivetrain work is done....probably a sheetmetal change next year some time with no changes to engines at all.

Hope they do something about the interior though...god its horrid. Behind the times when it came out and just keeps getting worse. Depending on what Ford has in store for next year the I6 may be able to come in halfway between the 3.6 and 3.0 for fuel burn and more than match the 3.6 for grunt. Which makes you wonder, if Ford is going to the bother of doing a 2.0 I4T, it must be quite a bit better again than that no? Given the very average 0-100 times of the 3.0 i think the I4T will out grunt it too....particularly real world (80-120 etc.).

This out-engineer thing should be funny....but it just seems sad to be honest.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #106
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
This, I got off FAF.

Poor form. Poor form.

Also off FAF it's reported the latest Top Gear mag ran a 0-100km/h time of... 7.6 seconds.... in the all-new economologically advanceded SIDI direct ijaculated 3.6.... Must have been a wet road. Must have been, surely.

Ha ha ha I can just see that now; "it was raining so the times were down a bit". I'll wait for real world results before surmising that the SIDIjaculator is a complete joke and a waste of time. Just like the AFM crap in the SS's. "Holden, go mediocre"

Quote: