Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New Car Advice

I have been looking at buying a High Performance Ute for a little over six months now, and have recieved a number of quotes for both Holden and Ford products.

It basically breaks down like this;
MY10 VE Holden SS Utility 6sp Manual $36,500 Driveaway
or
09 Ford XR6 Turbo Utility 6sp Manual $39,750 Driveaway
09 Ford XR8 Utility 6sp Manual $41,050 Driveaway

I am not looking at any options like metallic paint or leather or anything, just a standard white ute with some real factory grunt under the bonnet. I dont intend to use any vehicle I purchase as a workhorse, it will be my daily drive for approx 25,000km a year.

I like the way all three drive, and how all three handle, however, the dollar figure does play a large part in my decision, however not if its going to be a foolish choice.

I have also been examining the resale values of all three vehicles as well, and it would "appear" as though the utes hold resale value far higher than their sedan counterparts, is this in fact correct?

Considering that the VE MY10 SS utes will have side airbags standard, for no extra outlay, I am seriously thinking of laying my coin down sometime this week. If anyone out there can provide any advice either for against any particular choice, I'd appreciate it.

I have asked for advice on commodore forums and the like, however and I quickly grew sick and tired of the moronic responses and childish banter, so unless advice is serious and on topic, please dont reply, I dont want this thread to go downhill like so many others.

calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well all are good cars so you are not going to be disapointed.

What it comes down to really is do you want a V8?

If yes then that makes it harder...LOL...My next question would be auto or manual? If auto then the Ford is your car. If manual then its getting harder..

I think it will come down to styling, any you prefer?

edit: sorry noticed you have been quoted manual prices, is that just for comparison?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Holden: Cons: Bad vision problems, fuel consumption.
Pros: Noise, V8 is awesome, price, airbags, has a higher payload than the falcon for the first time.

XR6t: Pros: Power, agility, grace, fuel consumption.
Cons. Leaf spring rear, not a V8. Auto is awesome, but you want the manual, which is also good.

XR8: Pros: Refinement, when it has an exhaust, the noise is great, bulge:
Cons: Price, nose heavy, Leaf spring rear, lacks the rush of the other two.

These are the pros and cons I can think of that Ive read everywhere and combined for you.
Old 28-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For starters; are you partial to either a 6 or an 8 ?

If you're a V8 man, the SS would be had pass on - especially at that insanely low price !!!

If you're partial, then the turbo 6 would be the go as the drivers choice by far (too many reasons to list), but only if the Ford dealer could screw the price down to match (or get close) the SS, but only because price seems to be important to you.

Not sure why the XR8 would be so much dearer than the turbo - especially as the RRP for both is the same...

But if it were MY cash, I would be buying the XR8.
It's unique.
THAT buldge.
THAT sound.
It's a man's ute.
It's fresh (sorry, but I really do feel the VE is very dated).
It looks absolutely horn.
It's fast enough.
Nicer interior, better quality (than the Commodore).
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Have a read of this article, it may very well influence your decision:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/30255/fo...final-verdict/

I wouldn't go near an SS with AFM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Can't go past the SS. Especially at that price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe

It would seem that the XR8 and the SS are fairly much head to head in speed, brakeing and fuel ecconomy so there are no deciding factors there.

I am a through and through ford man so I would go one of the fords, but if you don't care what you drive than the SS is offering you a $3000 saving which is hard to go past.
The XR6t and the XR8 should be able to be done for the same price, I would take the quote for the SS to the ford dealer and see what they can do, but he SS is very cheap so they probably wont match it.
Old 28-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe

He wants a manual, no AFM on those
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive nearly bought an SS Ute myself, but cant justify the price (as good as it is)
I think I prefer the look of the VE ute, the rear wheel track of the FG is just all wrong.
Its like they designed and signed off on the tray before putting it on the vehicle, and then didnt notice the massive gap between the wheels and tray.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some very good points there, I do like the integrated look of the VE Ute, however do agree that the FG XR8 has one of those muscle car silhouettes that really looks the goods.

Unfortunately , Price does come into play as I stated earlier, because of the way I lease my vehicles, so a big saving now equals larger savings three years down the track at residual time.

One of the points that was raised earlier was the fuel consumption of the VE SS manual. Can I ask what sort of figures I should be expecting from highway, urban and mixed driving? I have heard of highway figures as low as 8.0L/100km on a good Hume or Pacific run. And also as bad as 40L/100km when really giving it the berries. But typically an average of around 12L/100km

Whats sort of figures should an XR8 Ute Manual return?

I Have also been looking into some complaints of the clutch master cylinder in the VE failing and the resulting problems of the clutch pedal not returning off the floor during a spirited launch. Does the Ford XR8 suffer from the same issue?
Old 28-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a rough guide, on my VE SS auto (pre AFM) now with 36000km I have averaged 12.2L/100 over the last 10,000km both city and highway. This is 40-50km Canberra driving per day to and from work, Canberra-Bega and Canberra-Sydney trips every second weekend or so and general Canberra driving.
Before the last trip meter reset (over 10,000km ago) I played with various scenarios, and Canberra only yielded 12.4 to 14.0L/100, trips to Bega down to 8.9L/100 (low 9s usually) but the trip back up Brown mountain usually kills my average consumption for the trip.

Manual should be able to better this.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

got the VE SS.. for that difference in price and side bags its definately the better buy.. Oh if only i bought one this time last year when they were 33k drive away.. i was gonna :(

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 28-09-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Check for resale value. The way Holden are throwing these things away for a pittance must surely result in lower resale than equivalent Fords.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Check for resale value. The way Holden are throwing these things away for a pittance must surely result in lower resale than equivalent Fords.
I would have thought the exact same thing, however a quick check of carsales still has two year old SS utes for sale in the high 30's to early 40k mark.

Its ususual to say the least, especially when the equivalent Ford models are already at low 30's or thereabouts.

Its looks as though I might be heading down the SS route after all, but all advice is still greatly needed and appreciated!