Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Exclamation New Focus Brochures - Specs & Options, Colours & Trim - XR5 Turbo included!

Hi All,

As the topic mentions the New Focus brochures are out on the Ford AU website, to save you hunting through the Ford website which requires both Flash and some patience i've stored them over on the Ford XR5 Turbo community site.

There is also a fantastic video available, its a little corny and requires you to install a proprietary java player but works none the less. Definately worth checking out.

Links!

With the cars being distributed around AU and details finally it's time to get excited. :

Cheers,
Miyagi

Old 13-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #2
kcbworth

Wonder if any new accessories for the current models will become available due to the XR5 (e.g. i know a lot of people saying that a stacker or climate control would be nice). Anyone heard anything?
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

There's no reason for climate or stackers to suddenly become optional especially given the XR5 comes from a totally different source. Climate is also a factory fitted option and as far as I know no manufacturer offers a climate system after factory.

If you want a stacker, use your aux input. A simple 1 gig MP3 player will hold more music than a 6 stacker, a 20 gig will keep you going for weeks!! Plus, a 20 gig MP3 player will set you back as little as the high 2-300 mark which is peanuts compared to what you'd pay for a good aftermarket 6-stacker, let alone a factory one. I know everyone keeps screaming 6-stacker 6-stacker but I for one reckon the MP3 input is a much better idea, I'm currently installing it in my LR as proof. I had a 6-stacker, sold it to Melbzetec to pay off some short term debt and then I'm going to buy me a 20 gig MP3 player and enjoy the whole 150 CD music collection! An MP3 player can be taken with you (BONUS), you don't have to store CD's in the glovebox anymore (BONUS) and an MP3 player weighs less than a 6-stacker so you gain at least 0.001869kg/kw in a Zetec (based on the added weight of estimates 200G worth of CD's inside the stacker NOT including the CD cases and spare CD's in the glovebox) BONUS. That has to be good for laying down quicker quarter times, which increases the active in-flow of air through the air-con system, reducing the need for hi-tech climate control systems and increasing fuel efficiency and performance.

All thanks to a humble Aux input. :Reverend:
Old 14-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Now that IS a sensational video!!!!! Love it.
Old 14-04-2006, 12:59 AM   #5
kcbworth

zetec agree with you completely on the mp3 player... been using that approach since the day i bought the car, never even tried a cd actually.

However, i know there have been a lot of people asking for a stacker which is why i brought that up. but it would be nice if some other accessories were available eg. sports grille, painted spoiler, large spoiler, sunroof, xr5 wheels, to name a few.

I guess that regardless of whether these become factory options, it might be possible to get a hold of some of the parts meant for xr5 and fit them into an existing focus?? Anyway, i await in anticipation.
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I would have liked to have a way of adding an iPod controller into the system. Thats the thing that annoys me atm. I don't want to change out the nice stock looking HU for an aftermarket one that I think doesnt really suit the interior.

Apart from that... what the heck is "submarine" lighting? Do they light up the cabin with red lights just like in a submarine? LOL

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
rider007

hmmm, looking good. Interesting to note that the electronically adjustable steering is included and that the dual zone climate A/C isn't . I'd prefer to have it the other way around.
Old 14-04-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Now that IS a sensational video!!!!! Love it.
That was a cool video, now all we need is a MPG of it
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Agreed - Climate Control would be an awesome thing to have in the XR5T... considering this is Australia. My car now has it, and I love it! So easy to get just the right temp and not be too cold, or not cold enough.

As for the rest of it - Hmmmmmm, interesting to note the kg/Kw isn't too great, but luckily it does have a 6sp manual gear box

Damn, I should have waited..... :

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #10
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

The XR5T has very few options at the moment. (colour and leather being the only variances really).

Availability of the ST in the UK and XR5T in Australia may be the limiting factor contributing to the availability of options over here.

People in the UK have had to wait patiently for months for their cars (they can pick loads of AWESOME options) and the XR5T is going to be difficult to get over here in numbers to suit demand.

Rather than struggle to get numbers in like the VW has with the Golf GTI, Ford (by default) may have saved some initial hassles on being able to bring larger numbers into the country.

Maybe once the excitement settles and the XR5T matures in the AU marketplace (we all know it's going to sell well) then series 2 of the XR5T will bring more options for customers. :thumbsup
Old 14-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Great work guys, that vid is sensational and the brochures are good too. The food must be good on that boat from Germany though - the car has put on 80 kg on the trip over! I seriously hope that is a misprint, coz that weight is seriously going to hinder performance.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #12
krusic
XR5T Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
Great work guys, that vid is sensational and the brochures are good too. The food must be good on that boat from Germany though - the car has put on 80 kg on the trip over! I seriously hope that is a misprint, coz that weight is seriously going to hinder performance.
Not exactly correct. If you go to the Ford Uk site, the weight of the 5 door ST is 1437kg vs the 1392kg of the 3 door. The new aus focus brochure says it's 1442kg, so it's actually only put on 5kg, not 80kg.

Cheers,

Steve
krusic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #13
Ford Grunt
Turbo induced crazyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Apart from that... what the heck is "submarine" lighting? Do they light up the cabin with red lights just like in a submarine? LOL
Yes! The hood lining is black and the red lighting I believe will surround the gear lever in red. Have a look at the UK ST microsite for a display of it.

Cheers,
Ford Grunt
www.fordxr5turbo.com
Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #14
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusic
Not exactly correct. If you go to the Ford Uk site, the weight of the 5 door ST is 1437kg vs the 1392kg of the 3 door. The new aus focus brochure says it's 1442kg, so it's actually only put on 5kg, not 80kg.

Cheers,

Steve
I think you will find that those weights include a 75 kg person (weight of an average human being). The 3 door weighs 1317 kg and the 5 door weighs 1362 kg. Add 75 kg to those figures and you get the numbers that you have quoted. If you doubt what I am saying, type Focus ST turbo and kerb weight 1362 kg into google - you'll get plenty of hits I assure you.

I can only assume that Ford OZ have done the same thing and allowed for the weight of the average person in the 1442 kg figure, but being that we're a nation of fat Bastards, they added on 80 kg instead of 75!
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #15
krusic
XR5T Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170

I can only assume that Ford OZ have done the same thing and allowed for the weight of the average person in the 1442 kg figure, but being that we're a nation of fat Bastards, they added on 80 kg instead of 75!
My aplogies, you are correct. Just read the fine print down the bottom of the specifications. Hopefully they have added in the driver's weight.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 14-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #16
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

XR5T badges weight more....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 14-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #17
krusic
XR5T Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
XR5T badges weight more....
Maybe if they were made from Lead!
Old 14-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #18
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Grunt
Yes! The hood lining is black and the red lighting I believe will surround the gear lever in red. Have a look at the UK ST microsite for a display of it.

Cheers,
Ford Grunt
So.. does it fade out with the normal cabin lighting? I might mod my LX to have it. lol. It looks cool!

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 14-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #19
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can anyone explain why the XR5T cargo volume is ~123 litres less than a normal Focus hatch?!

What the???? 262 litres vs 385 litres!
Old 14-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #20
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I think I read in another forum that they had to raise the boot deck about 6 inches or so because of the exhaust system.

Old 14-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #21
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's a huge difference (ie. a bar fridge holds 120 litres!)

I saw one at the Adelaide Motorshow last week, but of course the boot was the last place I was interested in looking at. It sort of limits their praticality a bit IMHO, with five doors I was thinking I could talk myself into buying one in the future as a practical "family" car....
Old 15-04-2006, 03:06 AM   #22
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
So.. does it fade out with the normal cabin lighting? I might mod my LX to have it. lol. It looks cool!
I get the feeling its always on. LED light is very directional so you won't really notice glare when looking out the window at night.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 07:39 AM   #23
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
Can anyone explain why the XR5T cargo volume is ~123 litres less than a normal Focus hatch?!

What the???? 262 litres vs 385 litres!
Could be because it has a full size spare wheel? I know its a no cost option in the UK to get a space saver spare...?
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 09:05 AM   #24
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Could be because it has a full size spare wheel? I know its a no cost option in the UK to get a space saver spare...?
Space saver is standard.

There are storage compartments around the wheel.

If you put in a full size wheel, I suspect the boot size might get close to 200l or less.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #25
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The spec sheet says space saver - that was the first thing I thought of too.

Seems a lot of space to lose just for an exhaust system. I'd take a single outlet system to get back the 123 litres of boot space!
Old 15-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #26
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The one at the Adelaide Motorshow (Orange UK Spec) definately had a space saver...

Oh and the seats are VERY nice to sit in!
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #27
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Makes sense to me! Alot of cars these days are leaving boot space a minimum for performance gains... Hell, I have two cans of foam instead of a full sized spare, so that I can get 7kW more power via dual exhausts!

Anyone know the boot space of the GTI? Anyway, you all loved the dual pipes at the rear, and so do I... but then, 262L of space is Fiesta size! Not that bad... but limits the ability of having a pram of the like for families. Maybe this will be the killing point.... Let's hope not!

Old 15-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #28
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Golf GTi Boot is 347L according to the Volkswagen website.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #29
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Golf GTi Boot is 347L according to the Volkswagen website.
Hmmmm - that is pretty big.

Maybe Ford shouldn't have had the space saver.... Like the MX-5, RSC 182 Cup and other performance cars (and BMWs)

*EDIT* Haha

Damo (Mista Fiesta) just gave me a link to the Clio V6 Video. It has NO boot (which I already knew) and the front bonnet has barely enough room for a baby (not that you would put one there :nutsycuck )

So, stop complaining!

Last edited by Teki04; 15-04-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 15-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #30
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

So WHEN is the XR5 going to start deliveries? Reason I want to know is I wanna get one of those folding keys for my LX. And the dealer said she'd sell me one at cost price when it comes out.