Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Cyclone Yasi....

Stay safe up there guys....

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohe...hirgmscol.html

Looks like this could be a nasty one....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 01-02-2011 at 10:21 AM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not good.. fairly serious chat about it this morning in our pre start up in Gove and efforts put in place to get guys home to their families asap....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Long Range Weather Forecaster, Hayden Walker, has been spot on this wet season. He has been 100% accurate..not like BOM...
As DJR-351 says..."stay safe guys"..I hope its not as bad as forecast
Old 01-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I'm up in Cairns...Live about...50m from the beach in a resort.

Getting a bit nervous but I hope it's more the media blowing things out...

Either way, she's a doozey of a system. 500km wide, 100km eye.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
not good.. fairly serious chat about it this morning in our pre start up in Gove and efforts put in place to get guys home to their families asap....
Is that for the Qld guys ? if so thats good, but they will have to get a rattle on...

The company i work for has a Emergency Response Vessel based out of Cairns and have been told by Qantas that if they require extra crew for this emergency, they need to be on a plane asap cause the Airport will be closed, exactly when i don't know...

Pacific Responder...
http://www.amsa.gov.au/publications/..._responder.pdf

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Its not looking good for Queesland..

If we keep having natural disasters the state will go broke....

I pray no one gets hurt up there but it will all come down to how careful people are and how much precaution they take, they have been given the notice, nows time to get items away and make sure they have a disaster plan in place.... I just hope the houses withstand it and dont blow away.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
Jimmyd
Banned

Battening down the hatches now................
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

QLD Police apprentely annouced it's heading directly for Cairns.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Spudz27
Call me Spud

You guys in QLD can't get a break. Keep safe and hopefully those who have started to clean up don't have to start from square one all over again. I am starting to think 2012 is coming true lol, what with the flooding, storms, earthquakes, volcanoes rumbling to life etc.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
QLD Police apprentely annouced it's heading directly for Cairns.
Yay...
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
dave289
Banned

I've seen the radar, and this thing is unbelievable. If it does not die down a bit before it hits the coast you will see major destruction. The amount of flying debris with a 100km wide eye not to mention 500km wide cyclone will pose major danger. good luck up there guys ,you are going to need it.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Does anyone up here have a place I can put my XR6?

It's unregistered and uninsured at the moment.

PM me

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Is that for the Qld guys ? if so thats good, but they will have to get a rattle on...

The company i work for has a Emergency Response Vessel based out of Cairns and have been told by Qantas that if they require extra crew for this emergency, they need to be on a plane asap cause the Airport will be closed, exactly when i don't know...

Pacific Responder...
http://www.amsa.gov.au/publications/..._responder.pdf
yep.. few of the boys now just waiting for the call jump on a plane to cairns....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This is phenomenal. I feel for you guys up there. I just hope it doesn't wipe the town of Cairns lean off the grid. The size of that thing is 'the day after tomorrow' stuff.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Based on current modeling this thing will hit just south of cairns and just north of innisfail. Given my parents live in a small town which is 30ks north of innisfail and 50ks south of cairns than you can imagine their situation. Not good, not good at all. Will be getting onto them today to check they are preparing well....after living in FNQld for their whole lives i trust they know the drill. The house has survived a category 5 cyclone back in the 80s and numerous others (including only minor damage from larry) so god willing it will do so again.

I know facing harsh weather in a tropical state is part of life but this year is pushing it a bit i think for a lot of people not just financially but psychologically. It is like living with a nuclear weapon above your house waiting for it to go off when the main upstairs decides....

My sister just moved back up north for a job after being in brisbane for a few years. Ironically she was living up home for cyclone larry and now will be back there for this one. She does not like cyclones (even little ones) and will not be pleased about this one little bit. Best of luck to all North Qld residents....remember you have the warning, activate your planning, stock up on vitals, secure your yard and if you don't trust your house to survive the event than move to a concrete room (preferably underground) and also consider leaving your property and going to another house. This is justsome of the things i learnt living up north with cyclones...it might be of assistance.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

about 60% of us Townsville folk got a text last night saying that we need to relocate, they are expecting a 6m storm surge which will put most of townsville under. i live on the beachfront in a unit complex and we have been told to stay put and just cover our windows up as they are cat5 cyclone proof. going to get nice and windy thats for sure. at work we have been getting water and ration packs ready for the last two days and have a huge team on standby so the army is ready to go when they are called upon. to all the people up here Hayden Walker has been spot on all summer so batten down the hatches.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Based on current modeling this thing will hit just south of cairns and just north of innisfail. Given my parents live in a small town which is 30ks north of innisfail and 50ks south of cairns than you can imagine their situation. Not good, not good at all. Will be getting onto them today to check they are preparing well....after living in FNQld for their whole lives i trust they know the drill. The house has survived a category 5 cyclone back in the 80s and numerous others (including only minor damage from larry) so god willing it will do so again.

I know facing harsh weather in a tropical state is part of life but this year is pushing it a bit i think for a lot of people not just financially but psychologically. It is like living with a nuclear weapon above your house waiting for it to go off when the main upstairs decides....

My sister just moved back up north for a job after being in brisbane for a few years. Ironically she was living up home for cyclone larry and now will be back there for this one. She does not like cyclones (even little ones) and will not be pleased about this one little bit. Best of luck to all North Qld residents....remember you have the warning, activate your planning, stock up on vitals, secure your yard and if you don't trust your house to survive the event than move to a concrete room (preferably underground) and also consider leaving your property and going to another house. This is justsome of the things i learnt living up north with cyclones...it might be of assistance.

i think this radar will change alot between now and when it hits as just last night they said it was heading for bowen. if the whole north coast is not preparing they need to start.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
i think this radar will change alot between now and when it hits as just last night they said it was heading for bowen. if the whole north coast is not preparing they need to start.
indeed. i noticed this morning's forecast had it going alot further north. Another update at 11am qld time so will take a look at that. As the system gets closer the predication gets increasingly accurate obviously so its not good news either way. I guessed it was going for townsville and it might just end up there. Bugger about the damn storm surge....that will cause more damage than the cyclone probably....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 01-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez, mother nature must be seriously p*ssed about something ?.
you guys up there just aren`t having a win at the moment.

Hope everyone pulls through OK
Old 01-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #20
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jesus Christ that is insane :(

I feel so sorry for everyone up in QLD.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #21
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

new tc advice as of 11am.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Straight over cairns by the looks of it. Error margin still pretty big but if anything will trend a bit south of cairns probably. Its so big everyone will cop something out of it north of townsville and south of cooktown. The biggest problem is that its always strongest right near the wall of the eye (not an exact science this but rule of thumb) so anyone in one of the cairns highrises i'd pray your glass is going to meet cyclone rating. Will be bits of palm tree and mangrove hundreds of feet in the air...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 01-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #22
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Found a place for my car...Love working for a shed company, car will be put in a display home shed built to handle cyclonic windspeeds.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 01-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Found a place for my car...Love working for a shed company, car will be put in a display home shed built to handle cyclonic windspeeds.
That will make it easier to identify the wreckage....

You guys make sure you are not in the middle of this, it is not going to be the usual fun......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #24
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Just spoke to my sister in Trinity Beach. The SES are door knocking suggesting they evacuate to higher ground.

Good luck to our FNQ members, you need it.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #25
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Cairns Base is being entirely evacuated...First time in QLD history a regional hospital has been.

Judging by storm surge maps, I'm in the line of fire...Still at work at the moment, preparing things.

I'm about 50m from the beach so I'm looking to go to the tablelands or at least to a friends on higher ground.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 01-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #26
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Townsville. Just finished clearing the yard of anything dangerous etc, just in case it swings back toward us. Lol have had 2 mates ring up to ask if I can find room in my shed for a couple of their cars..
Old 01-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #27
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

How do you say anything at a time like this?..... good luck guys, will be thinking of you all.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #28
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just got an sms from a mate in Townsville and he has been told to evac today

keep your heads low and be safe guys

my thoughts are with you all

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #29
Deco28

Well I'm in Cairns and considering bailing to my parents place down south. Being compared to Hurricane Katrina in intensity, just sends the shakes down my spine.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #30
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope you guys are all safe, im going to Hamilton island in 2 weeks, hope there is some left
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post