Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 29-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #86
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Its funny you know roddy, if you sit and listen to most bowlers they'll tell you they love quick greens, 16 seconds and over, yet as soon as they put a bowl down on them they cut the head and end up in the ditch.
I totally agree with your assessment, 14-15 seconds is quick enough and forgiving if you happen to miss your line by a fraction.

We played on a synthetic at Payneham last weekend and it was running about 17 seconds which is actually slightly off pace for what it can run when conditions are right, even with the modern bowls, i use a very narrow set of SR's, i was hitting the boundary at the shoulder and quite often finishing on the non professional side.
Not many could handle it and we lost all 4 rinks in the end.

Im only a hack really, my Daughter on the other hand, 3 time State Junior Champion and was sponsored by Henselite until she turned her back on national duties.
Would love to see your daughter bowl . That's impressive to be a junior champ and chosen for national teams..Wow.

I'm a tad old fashioned and love my old Henselite Classic ll's .Had them for ages. Mostly play pennant as a Third and the bit of late draw sometimes helps to get around short bowls in the way in a cluttered head . Remember playing against an old bloke many years ago who used these Size 5 wide draw bowls that all but finished up coming back toward you on a fast-ish green. He was a former Div 1 player and crucified me in a club singles game . Geez he could bowl . He was one of our skips at the time.

Back to mowing . We used to send the cylinders to a company called Pellows to be backlapped for the golf greens mowers . I used to bugger round for ages getting the bedknife and mild steel blade bedded in properly once the cylinder was either backlappped or reversed but it was worth it . Watching water spray like clippings going into the catcher was very satisfying indeed .Had grand plans of building my own green at home and even bought an old Villiers reel mower which I still have . Maybe a while off yet , but ya never know !!!!

Last edited by roddy1960; 29-10-2018 at 08:24 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote