View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #51
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: The Camping Thread

I took my two lads camping recently at Bribie Island, both computer nerds (one works in IT support, the other just started Uni for an IT degree) and neither have ever been interested in 'roughing it'.

We used a similar tent to what you have, Prydey. I had to buy a few things, as the last time I went camping was around 1994!
As it was a one-off, and I didn't know if they'd be keen to go again after they'd experienced an inconvenient weekend, I didn't want to spend too much, so this is how I went...

- couple of air mattresses, the boys slept well. I used my old swag, and now I remember how thin and uncomfortable it was. I used to have the swag on the back of my motorbike when I was working in Longreach, and travelling back to Brisvegas when I had a few days off. It is now but wafer thin, and not comfortable at all.

- don't forget the tent pegs... we had to go and buy some

- take enough firewood (if you can light fires), hardwood burns longer.

- a mat is good at the entrance of the tent for keeping dirt/sand out.

- check the tent pole hardware... we had a centre upright pole fail because the thread in the plastic adjuster stripped. It'd be worth having a couple of spare poles. Spare rope, too.

We all had a ball, though, and enjoyed the weekend away. My eldest son is considering selling his Commy ute and getting a 4x4 now.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: