View Single Post
Old 15-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #343
CatonaPC©

Default Re: 2019 Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappie View Post
Transmission issue encountered by this review as well, in an Active no less.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...665a5770fc4220
I have an Active. I note no undue delay. I'm not saying there isn't but no more than what one would expect from any auto with a lever to change gears. Unfortunately, methinks the writer is looking for something that isn't there because he's too lazy to put the foot on the brake: He says "I shouldn’t have to". Sorry, Mr Car-test-driver; there is no such auto transmission in the world, nor has there ever been, where you are not required to put your foot on the brake when changing from D to R or vice versa!

The real issue is that dial-shifter is easy to flick from D to R or R to D and there's the expectation the mechanics of the gearbox should change just as fast. It doesn't. It's completely incorrect to state the car continues to roll because of a perceived delay that would normally go unnoticed in an auto with a regular selector.

I take issue with the fuel consumption criticism, also. I owned a Ford Focus LZ Trend and my new Focus with the 8-speed auto chews through about 5-10% less fuel in heavy stop/start traffic. It's not thrifty, but it's better than the old model with the 6-speed auto box.

The rest of the review is what readers should be taking onboard, because this car is very good. Also, readers should keep in mind, car testers base all their opinions on short term trial of a car. I'd wonder what they'd think if they drove any car they tested for 3 months or longer and whether it changed their perception - rotary dial shifters in particular?
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote