View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #65
gtfpv
GT

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
it's very dependent on where you work. a lot of the remote sites run rosters like that due to the logistics of getting men in an out.

where i work, we have 5 different crews on slightly different rosters. my roster is 3x12hour night shifts, fri night, sat night & sun night, then i have the rest of the week off.

nah, it's far better, trust me. there's some serious coin to be had though if you do put in more hours...

i have the best of both. work 3 days a week (36 hours) and get paid well.

in answer to those questions posed above. i can only talk for the underground coal industry, but be prepared to have safety drilled into you every shift.

i've been a miner since '84 and have seen a lot of changes over the years. i spent a few years out in the water industry too and it was the same there. it can drive you mad sometimes as it seems overkill, but it has made a significant difference. lost time injury frequency rates in NSW have come down from over 100 about 10 years ago to about 14.

it is an inherently hazardous occupation and sometimes things can go wrong, but the incidence of that happening is a lot lower now.

afaik, it's not an industry that hires migrant labor?? certainly not in the mines i've been at although there's a lot of kiwis bru's in the pits now!! lol...

black lung is not a big issue anymore with more effective ventilation and PPE available.

happy to answer any questions people throw my way in here. may as well make use of my experience...

Thanks mate thats great to know , the safety standards have improved a lot . thanks for answering my questions . if the jobs are there I SAY GO FOR IT . if i was young and starting out i dont think i'd be anywhere else .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote