View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Space Saver Spare Tyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Before joining, I read all the posts back to when the MD Mondeo was released, but didn't see any comments on this subject.

Its bad enough that my spare tyre is little more than half the width of the full size tyres, but it is also 60mm smaller in diameter.
Can anyone tell me how the car drives when fitted with a space saver - especially on the front?
If I had a flat front tyre, I think I would put the space saver on the back then put the full size tyre on the front. Just hope it doesn't happen on a rainy night!

I asked a tyre dealer whether there was a wider tyre available that would fit on the 4 inch wide rim, but he said they were a dealer item.
Its been suggested to me that I get another full size rim & tyre & build the floor up to it, but I'm reluctant to do that for a couple of reasons.
Note - I have a wagon & so need a 17 inch or larger rim.
I guess it depends on the kind of road surfeace you mainly drive on but due to the shear volumne of rough spray seal single lane and dirt roads here in the North East I wouldn't use anything but full size spare or at least a back up can of goop or plugs.
I've experienced seeing cars driving off onto the soft shoulder when passing and blowing out front tyres due to the sharp road edges. Not a pretty sight.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote