View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 04:37 PM   #6
Shepherd
Starter Motor

Default Re: Space Saver Spare Tyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
You could buy a can of that goop you put in the tyres and plugs a puncture hole, theyve worked for me a few times. Then you would only need to use the space saver if the tyre suffers worse than the typical small puncture which seems to be the most common cause of flats. Some models of cars dont even come with a spare but instead one of those cans.

I have 155 wide space savers in both my BA and AU fairlane, and if I was far from home I wouldnt be too keen on running one on the front. When I travel further I tend to swap it out for a full sized wheel, sometimes even 2 of them if Im going really far. But if you are close to home, dont think you will notice the different height too much if taking it easy, of course youd have to be sensible about it and drive conservatively, like you are supposed to with a space saver.

By the way the BA/BF/FG and territory space savers, which are also 4" rims if I remember right, came with 2 different height 155 17" inch tyre, there is a 70 series and an 80 series. The 80 is a fair bit taller, usually found on later cars and terrys.

Perhaps one of those tyres on your space saver wheel could give you extra height so you are closer to the other wheels... not sure what tyre you would have.
Thank you. My 235/50R17 tyres are 668mm diameter according to tiresize.com/calculator. The spare (T125/70R17) is 607mm.
A 155/70R17 would be a lot better at 648mm.
155/80R17 would be closer still at 681mm but might jam in the recess.
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote