View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #90
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Why is it.................?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm View Post
Why is it a crime to have a lowered car? What's the logic? I asked the cop this the other day as he handed me an invitation to donate several hundered $$ to the gov. He said ask the RTA. I have coil over suspension which he interpreted as 'cut springs', big sway bars, fat tread but apparently my car has a 'major defect'. my logic is it handles and grips 10 times better than when it came out of the factory, yet according to the police it's death trap? How about pulling over the young women you see everywhere on bald cheese cutters, floating around on shagged out stock shocks and running 12psi? I couldn't help but get angry as it's over a weeks pay to pay the ticket and I really have done nothing wrong
It's not a crime to have it lowered. It is a defect to go outside the regulations and it's really with pretty good reason. Same with excessively wide rims or offsets. They often handle OK in the dry on billiard flat roads but in the rain or bumps they can be a lot worse than stock suspension. You see guys lower their cars so much the suspension crashes into the bump stops or shocks bottom out or they cut the bump springs and then the suspension arms foul on the frame or ball joints fall out.

If you are confident in your work just get it engineered.

BTW, my car is illegally modified but I'm prepared to wear it if I get defected.