View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
prydey, we have exactly the same tent, although different in colour.
We bought some camp stretchers, like fold up beds, and have found they are good for cold nights as it gets you off the ground, and you don't have to worry about air mattresses etc. Just chuck a sleeping bag on top. We also bought some cheap, plastic tarps to put on the ground in front, otherwise you can drag dirt, mud inside.
Apparently with the tent you have, there is a velcro fly screen attachment for the front, I haven't seen them, but have heard about it, would be good for warmer camping, particularly if you cooked under the front.
We used electrical tape, and put different coloured stripes on the poles to make it easier to match them up, my old eyes struggle with the codes stamped in. we also bought some extra poles for the side window awnings, which help get in extra light, particularly in the front 'room' and allow more air in.
I hope these tips help, send pm, if you wish to 'chat' about this.
I'm not far from you, so if you really needed something I may be able to loan you some stuff. I did make my own 'camping donkey' out of an 18 gall keg, which has been used a lot, great to sit in the camp fire coals.
i have a single stretcher which the youngest will use. will probably buy another for the eldest, or perhaps a single mattress. the mrs and i will have a double (queen is a bit tight for space if all 4 of us share the same room) mattress. checked them out at anaconda and bcf, and they are pricey but worth it. from the little research i've done, air mattresses are useless.

yes, these tents did come with a 'sunroom' attachment for the front, but i don't have it. the side awning does open right up and open as a second door. i have the poles and everything for that. i also made sure i coded all the poles when i pulled it down at easter, so putting it up next time shouldn't take more than half hour to an hour.

you can just see the poly tarp under the tent (if you look hard). this is silver one side and green the other and would normally serve as the 'fly' over the top (as mentioned by burnout) but it was easiest to get to so i just used it under. i have 2 others that i normally use as ground covers and can cover the whole front awning area as well depending on what the campsite is like.

cheers for the suggestions so far. i've been doing a fair bit of reading and learning, but most learning is done by doing. the 2 esky method is fairly common and reasonably good for a few days if you have quality eski's and good ice. we are planning on staying in the naracoorte caves national park, so not that far from a reasonable size town, so some stuff can be bought as we need, and ice (not party ice) should be available if needed.

hopefully this thread can become less about me after a while and more about everyone sharing their camping knowledge, info and pics.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: