View Single Post
Old 14-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #117
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 476kw LS9 HSV GTS-R....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cro142 View Post
A lot of would-be "investors" are going to be badly, badly burned in buying last Falcons and HSV's for future profits.

Even if they get more than they paid, it can still easily be a major loss after counting costs and inflation against other better investments.

Even a GTHO bought in 1971 for $5K and sold for $500K today would struggle to match a similar property investment. If you count paying no rent for 45+ years, then the GTHO is a dead loss. I bought my first house in 1972 for $6,600, now it's worth $500K.

It is unlikely any future aussie car will perform as an investment as well as the HO has done - this happened for special reasons, probably never to be repeated.

Buy one of these last cars to flog and enjoy for a few years, then sell it for 40% of what you paid, and you will be in front compared to mothballing it and getting no pleasure from it.

Ho Hum.
Yep and if you left that money untouched in a term deposit for 45 years you would have even more.

Buying cars in the hope that they will make money over time is nothing but a folly. Most if not all would also need a full rebuild/restoration in that timeframe too.

The only ones who will make money are the manufacturers themselves.

The only car I can think of that would give good gains is the Phase 4...good luck with that.

PS. You must have had a small house, in 1972 we paid $17,000 for 3 bedrooms in the Perth nthn suburbs.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: