View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #81
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
If you want to change policy that will impact an entire community, it is essential that the entire community have input as well, not just one segment. That is common sense. The fact that the rest of the community is involved does not mean women are precluded. Maybe I should ask you what is wrong with asking men for their input to encourage more women to the forum? To my knowledge good ideas are not restricted to gender.
Any changes to policy as a result to my suggestion would and should only be implemented if it was determined for the good of the entire community. That is common sense.Your last suggestion is a good one, asking men as well. I would imagine the answers will differ between genders, but would present as being 'fair to the community.

I dont believe that any changes you can make to posting policy would increase numbers of women, or anyone for that matter on this forum. Like any service or product, it comes down to targetted promotion, and offering something that your demographic wants.(Bingo!!) Brand recognition and fostering interest in cars/motorsports in general also help.

We are so close to agreeing here..lol It's not the policies themselves that will encourage more women to the forums, but the perception that this place is a safe place for them (as well as men). The forum would be targeting women in its promotion of a safe environment for all members. Of course it's already safe. You know that and most of the existing members know as well through experience, but most are male aren’t they? How does someone who is not a member know? Is it a consideration to them? For men I would imagine it is not so much, but for women I think you will find it is. The forum ‘wants’ more female members then it needs to accommodate to their needs (as well as men). Simply put, if the forum could build a perception of safety for all, I believe an increase of female members may be more likely.

Otherwise you can restructure policy until noone can post anything at all. It wont cause a stampede of females to suddenly be interested in a car forum. See above
Some great discussion with you sourbastard, but I think it's best we continue if need be in any thread or via PM.

Last edited by WASP; 11-02-2005 at 06:48 PM.