View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #592
prydey
Rob

Default Re: First experience .. Vic law regarding passing emergency vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I think it is.
I reckon you might understand better if you have ever driven (for an example) down the M1 from Gosford in morning peak on a daily basis to see how quickly things can go wrong decelerating from 110 to 40.
Physics doesn't care where you live or drive. This isn't some personal attack or discussion, although some are trying hard to make it that way. Its about driver behaviour and attitude. Travelling at a safe distance isn't difficult and doesn't 'cost' time as some make out. In fact, anyone with a small knowledge of maths should be able to work out that it adds very little time to a journey and could save your life.

Unfortunately, the perception in a lot of people's heads is that if they are travelling even a few kmh slower, or stopped at traffic lights, its costing them some huge amount of time. It's why so many charge through red lights etc. Its just a lack of education and selfish. The fact is, it costs virtually no time at all.

Some here are arguing over leaving a couple of seconds of gap. a couple of seconds. like literally, seconds. how is that making a difference in anyone's life. I'm not talking about travelling slower by a substantial margin. Its the same principle as adaptive cruise. If someone fills the gap you leave, you don't have to brake, just lift off fractionally. You are still travelling in a forward direction at almost the same speed as those around you. Its all in your head that you think its slower to reach your destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I'm all for safety in well marked roadworks, accident sites where police have already slowed the traffic down from a distance but unnecessary driver stops on the side of a freeway is just asking for trouble.
So, on approach to one of these situations, how do you know that's what it is? serious question. You see flashing lights and you can work out whether its just a traffic stop or an accident requiring caution when passing? Or are you suggesting that before the paramedics get involved they should wait until the police arrive and then implement traffic calming measures and then they can go to work. Sure, no worries.