View Single Post
Old 19-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #174
Aaron

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4/ST150 with Mazda SP25 engine

On the gearbox mounting front - how “right” do think things are with your designs now? Have we crossed the tipping point of understanding the shopping list for the conversion?

I am of a mind that collectively the XR4 community has hit the point where spare/good used gearboxes are so hard to find and expensive that MTX75 swapping becomes far more viable. So far the shopping list seems to be:
- MTX75 from LS/LT/LV 2.0 Duratec car
- Clutch hydraulic lines from same (aka over gearbox and firewall elements, clutch master is common)
- Hybrid driveshalfts - either combination of Focus and Fiesta shafts DIY or pre-assembled sets are available via eBay
- Mount bracket set (Lukeysons designs are nicest I’ve seen)
- CX7 rear mount
- ABS mount bracket
- LS/LT/LV Shifter assembly, or custom cables for Fiesta shifter (perhaps cable adapters).

Sound about right?

Thinking about the shifter. There are now bushes or inserts available for the shifter end, Focus RS bushes work on the XR4 shifter, so there’s something in how the joints assemble that makes me think a conversion bush may be viable. Cable length hasn’t been something other conversions have dealt with either so perhaps it’s a red herring?