Thread: Wet Carpet
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Wet Carpet

Check the AC drain assembly, I found my rubber hose lost it's seal on the bottom plastic fitting to the exhaust tunnel and leaked back into the cabin. It didn't help that the exhaust heat shield also partially blocked the fitting too. That solved the mystery with the wetness from using the AC.

It didn't end there on rainy days that fitting also has a foam/spongy gasket on the cabin side of the exhaust tunnel and it had flattened so water would somehow work it's way behind the heat shield and ingressed past the fitting and gasket into the cabin. I used a socket extension to groove clearance for the heat shield drain and now it flows freely and had some leftover Permatex Ultra blue handy so carefully sealed both sides of the gasket and put it in place to cure overnight (cabin side obviously). That was what?!? two or three years ago and never a problem since. Thank god...

My research found a heap of scenarios but not one was my problem.

1. TSB on the ill fitting HVAC hose and water building up entering the cabin from the side covers of the cabin filter

2. Windshield sealant not sealing and running down inside the firewall

3. Door water drains holes blocked and filling the lower portion of the door and leaking back into the cabin from the door cards.

4. Hatch wiring harness rubber boot from hatch to cabin allowing water ingress from the rear. Another for the hatch seal itself.

5. The rear wiper spray jet supply hose coming free from a fitting and water leaking into the cabin instead of going to the jet. This was around the top of the B-Pillar area.

6. Sun Roof...

7. Antenna mount...

Though I took my time I was able to deduce that water from the drivers front was the starting point and making it happen with the AC helped me track the still leaking part when i started to look for it.

was easily enough to find after removing the kick panel and folding back the carpet layers.

Oh yeah it doesn't help that your foot or boot or ankle naturally leans against it, probably played some part in the gasket and hose being affected as it was.

Last edited by cobrin; 03-05-2017 at 01:43 AM. Reason: pic added
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: