View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #53
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back

Default Re: Euthanasia - your thoughts?

It's taken a while to work up the courage to do this because it's quite upsetting. I only hope it comes out the way i intend!
My relationship with my wife seems to have something big happen every five years or so. Chapters if you like. The first five years were great, as they usually are with the dating, the first times together, meeting all the outlaws. We sold our houses to settle with each other in one home. Things were going good. Then she developed lung cancer. Major operation, lengthy and crappy chemo, and beat it. Dodged a bullet, that time!
Five years later and it's my turn for something big! Stage four cancer that had spread to lung, kidney and at the base of my spine. Operation to get rid of the primary cancer, then six months of high end chemo that wrecks your body, but five years on, get the all clear to get on with my life.
The last 12 months have been testing times for our relationship but we're both in it for the long haul. I noticed a dark spot on her back which was changing and it turned out to be Melonoma. As they do, the doctors wanted to look further and found some Liesons on her lungs. These turned out to be unrelated and inoperatable. As the Oncologist put it, we are taking a pallitive approach, rather than a curitive intent. She has gone for ct scans this week, and we get the results next week.
So whats in store for the next five years? Some of the posts in here a truely upsetting. I would not dare show them to the wife but deep inside, she knows whats ahead. Now we have to cram our lives together into the time she has left. And that is a question we don't want to know the answer for.
The last 12 to 18 months have been testing times for the rest of the family as Dad has Dementia which is really kicking in. To see a very smart man go from being an Engineer, to a man that can't connect a garden tap together again is truly upsetting, as is the glazed look in his eyes when he looks at you with absolute frustration.
So there you go. Two very different, real life scenarios but with the same end result. One that still has the capacity to make their own decisions, and decide them selves on their own destiny, what ever that may be. And one that, has no capability of making any sort of decision to do with pretty much anything.
I know what i would do in both situations. Just need it to be controlled, and clean.
Gypzy is offline   Reply With Quote
12 users like this post: