View Single Post
Old 19-06-2020, 10:20 PM   #3225
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

This one to a degree really annoys me. I was working in am office today and they have various posters around. Hand washing etc. But the one that really annoyed me was the do's and donts for dealing with people with a physical or gross motor disability. The only valid point was give extra time if its an online response. Thats a fair call if you only have 1 arm or whatever. I personally have a minor disability, but no one knows unless i tell them, and i dont. But the rest was just patronising as if a person with a physical or motor disability is stupid. Stuff like speak slow and clear. Dont make long paragraphs and stuff like that. Thats so dumb. Just because some people might not be so able bodied doesnt mean their brains dont work. My main personal experience was when i temporarily lost function from my left elbow down. Yes it shows the best in humanity when people want to help, but the statement can i help you with that, not do you want a hand annoyed me. But i had worked it out. So that was only a 6 week ordeal being 1 armed. But people just show pity. I work in equal oportunity places and you dont treat people different. I also work in places with people with physical disabilities, and you treat them the same as anyone else. If they want a hand they ask. And thats perfectly fine.
But these posters were absolutely patronising.
I mean, i had 1 client i worked for for 3 years and one day i i asked a question and she kept walking off. So i tapped her on the shoulder. Turns out she was completely deaf. I couldnt tell. I speak quickly too.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote