Thread: Wife or Car
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #67
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Default Re: Wife or Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
My liveaboard neighbour at the marina had a 65ft John Pugh ketch we would take out sailing from Newcastle, I was at the helm heading out to sea (skirting along the northern side of the harbour, southside is full of wharves, cafes ferries) when we were screamed at by these racing yacthty types tacking in the harbour, telling us we had to give way as they were under sail and us motorsailing but this boat being a deep draft (8ft) was limited in water under the keel and couldn't alter course to do the danger of grounding. (Maritime law)
Certainly was an interesting conversation back at the marina that night.
Gentleman I used to know had a steel 44 footer I think. Whenever someone called for him to yield he'd just reply 12 ton of steel. The looks were priceless.

I didn't mean to be depressing I was just trying to make the point that the problem with sailing isn't getting the boat to go to windward but rather dealing with the serious hazards on the water.

I sailed for years on boats with no engine at all and before my time, when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, sailing sans motor was common practice. Yes there are more things to hit now, but it can still be done.

I do do a double take when I row though. The idea you can just pick a direction and go is always a bit confronting...but no you can keep your planing motorboats. Work of the devil If you want to exceed hull speed it should be done on one hull like a normal person..
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote