Thread: Wife or Car
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #61
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Wife or Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
The first boat my dad bought had a 60hp 2 stroke and topped out at 29 knots. Roughly 60kmh give or take. My current unit, got it new in 03 does 50 knots, or 95kmh and its only 3 foot longer, weighs a lot more, but has almost 4 times the power, but revs to only 4800, not 7500 like the 2 stroke 60. Its not scary at all having complete control and getting out of the way of potential hazards. Yeah power boats dont have brakes, but they have reverse to slow you down real fast in a situation. Ive never found myself in a situation, but docking, i use reverse all the time to bring the stern closer to the wharf.
Yachts have reverse when you're motor sailing. I good idea in a confined harbour.
My liveaboard neighbour at the marina had a 65ft John Pugh ketch we would take out sailing from Newcastle, I was at the helm heading out to sea (skirting along the northern side of the harbour, southside is full of wharves, cafes ferries) when we were screamed at by these racing yacthty types tacking in the harbour, telling us we had to give way as they were under sail and us motorsailing but this boat being a deep draft (8ft) was limited in water under the keel and couldn't alter course to do the danger of grounding. (Maritime law)
Certainly was an interesting conversation back at the marina that night.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: