View Single Post
Old 21-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #17
Spurious

Default Re: Au xr6 head gasket

What did I say about the debate on gaskets!

To trump others some more I'll also say this:

Spray on sealants shouldn't be needed!

when I had the head of mine, I meticulously prep'd the block , I was lucky that the old gasket came off 99% clean & I took my time using WD40 & about 1000 grit wet/dry with a sanding block.
Before the head went back on, after wiping the block clean I left a coating of WD40 on the surface, laid some rags down & sprayed them with it too. Keeps the block protected until the head goes on.
Wiped the block off with metho & hit it with compressed air moments before head went back on.

I will also add, just to stir the pot, that the old gasket that came out of my engine was an MLS & the outer rubberised coating was non existent.
The individual metal layers delaminated in my hands when gasket was removed from the block.

In defence of MLS I will also state that it held up well right to the end.
My engine was weeping oil, next to cylinders 2 & 3, down the block under the inlet. It did this for 3 years.
When removing the head I noted that the 3 head bolts along that side of the head were on the looser side of tight.
ALL other head bolts gave an audible "crack" when turned, those 3 did not.

So, MLS is the way to go, but graphite will get you out of trouble & keep you on the road for a few years at least!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote