View Single Post
Old 20-03-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
Spurious

Default Re: Au xr6 head gasket

See my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...h_9x6GV_omXtRU

I went through this last October as my AU2 was leaking oil under the inlet.

Now, the head gasket debate will rage on, MLS V's Grahpite.

Draw your own conclusions & do your own research but you'll learn that what type a gasket to use depends on who you speak too.
I personally will say that the MLS is the one of choice, but I have also heard many people (ford owners & mechanics alike) say that the graphite ones are ok. Even the head machinist said they are ok....there's better, but they're ok.

I went with the graphite as my mechanic said this:
If mine were a new car then the MLS is best as the block is perfect. BUT as my car had done some 300,000km he recommended the graphite 'cause they're slightly thicker & will better tolerate an "imperfect" block surface.

As it stands, I've been using my car every day since the graphite gasket was used (mid' Oct 2014) & so far no problems to report. Time will tell.

After looking closely at the graphite head gasket I also took note that the holes where coolant passes through has an extra outer layer on the edge of the ring, this allows greater pressure to be applied to these areas once the head is torqued down.

Yes these gaskets have a reputation for failure at the coolant passages, but manufacturers have addressed this.

Once your head is removed, a shave is mandatory & I used Irwin bolt extractors ($55) to remove the old head bolts. I ruined a socket & a large ratchet prior to buying them.

I also recommend using a modern ratcheting torque wrench (the ones that "click" when torque setting is reached) to fit the new head bolts as the 2 bolts at the rear of the head will result in the wrench head hitting the firewall, so you'll have trouble getting a full 90 degree turn on the bolts.

Ratcheting ring spanners are also a godsend when removing/refitting the inlet manifold bolts. Moving the coil pack aids your access to these.

See my YT channel playlist & sit back & watch.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote