View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #39
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Very timely thread...got a random orbital for father's day.

Have been told I should wash and clay "decontaminate" and strip whatever polish wax might still be on it before polishing. Car is 2 years old, garaged when at home, and I don't work near a railway line or industrial area, so am not sure if "iron decontaination" is necessary???.

Mate who usually knows **** all (but acts like he knows everything) says I have to use a professional product to remove whatever wax/polish might be on it, but another guy far more trustworthy reckons Morning Fresh dishwasher liquid or truck wash will do the same job (strip wax etc) and will leave me money for the things where I shouldn't skimp on cost such as compound (he suggests Scholl), claybar and more pads.

Is iron decontamination suggested every time or only when needed (how can I tell)? And will a dishwashing liquid or truck wash do the job to strip wax etc or best to still get a professional product for this?
You will be surprised how much iron contamination your car has despite it being relatively new.

There are two types of iron decon, mechanical (clay bar) and chemical (Iron X / Bowdens Three Way ect). Clay bars can induce some paint marring, but you plan on polishing so that shouldn't be a problem. Iron Deco products simply melt the contaminants away. Both of these products only need to be used every year or so depending on the vehicles usage. I personally think people use a clay bar far too often.

Also, please don't use dish soap. The Clay bar and polishing process will remove the old wax/ sealant.

For you, I would use the following process -

1. Wash the vehicle.
2. Whist still wet, but out of the sun, use a clay bar with either a quick detailer or a soapy water solution.
3. Dry vehicle.
4. Polish with an all in one type product. Scholl stuff is excellent, as is Autoglym Super Resin.
5. Wipe the vehicle down with IPA or a something like Bowdens Flash Prep or CarPro Reset.
6. Apply a wax/sealant/coating.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: