View Single Post
Old 24-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #63
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crap cars of the past - your hypothetical ultimate ****box project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
We'll probably agree to agree here, the 4-cyl Commodore wasn't a 'great' car but did sell OK & was in good demand as a used car for soccer mums. It was a 4-cyl which was fine for mums driving around town & had more room than any other 4-cyl car.

What was wrong with a the basic VB-VH Commodore, I wouldn't them a 'bad' car, certainly not compared to some of the stuff in these current posts.
Dad's employer provided him with a company car. Throughout the 70's he had a string of Premiers. And in all honesty, I must say that his Cream HZ, with Vinyl Roof, 308, twin exhausts, and factory mags, was a beautiful car. SO naturally in around 79 or 80, he was given a VB Commodore SL/E.

He took to driving his XC Ute to work.
They soon got the message, and changed their entire fleet to Falcons and Fairmonts.

The 4 cylinder version was widely acknowledged as a mistake, reinforcing the belief that the Commode was a medium sized car, and a replacement for the Torana, rather than a large car like the Falcon.

Quote:
On the subject of engines, the 1900 Opel was German not Korean & was 'Cam in Head' not OHC.
It was made in Korea, which in my book makes it Korean.
The Cam was overhead, which makes it an OHC. There have been plenty of OHC engines that use rockers, including Ford.

Quote:
BTW the Commodore 4-cyl & the Starfire were Blue motors cut down, not Red motors.

A can of spray-paint does not a new engine make.

The Shartfire was gutless, and most owners found the fuel economy no better than the 6.