View Single Post
Old 20-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #17
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Shoulder injuries - how was your recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Apparently I have completely torn my suprasinatus. Has anybody experienced a similar injury? If so, did you have surgery to repair the tendon and how was the recovery?
Yes I have.

Right Shoulder (which had been giving occasional trouble for 30 years) finally let go in 2013.

I had consulted with an orthopaedic guy in Melbourne before it gave way, and he was reluctant to do anything because I had pretty much full mobility despite the pain from time to time.

When it let go it was rather like a zip being opened - no pain, but very restricted arm movement laterally. Back to the guy who did some simple tests and I was in hospital within a fortnight, single night stay.

Keyhole surgery with three puncture wounds. In a sling for six weeks followed by limited Physio and no activity other than that for another six weeks.

After that I dispensed with the Physio and simply monitored what I could do with the shoulder and didn't extend myself. The arm felt much weaker than I was used to but improved over a period of 12 months until it was back to how it was before the trouble started 30 years earlier. Today 6 years on I am totally untroubled by the shoulder.

The only caution I would offer is that if you are engaged in physical activity for employment you will have limitations for about 12 months - otherwise I would say "Go for it!", but be sure about the capability of the surgeon.

Syndrome, within 100 km of Melbourne and want the name of the guy who looked after me then PM me.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote