View Single Post
Old 14-03-2020, 04:47 PM   #62
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Coronavirus scare causing markets to fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
That's a massive understatement.

Italy is not unique. It's highly likely it will happen here and almost certain in the US - the number of critical cases exceeds ICU beds and the fatality rate shoots up.

We have 2000 ICU beds nation wide. If 5% of cases require critical care, that's only 40,000 active cases. Our doubling time is around 4 days at the moment, so we'll exceed 40k in around a month unless significant steps are taken.

You ain't seen nothin yet....
I wonder how many empty facilities could be quickly converted into treatment centres?

Vacant hotels, schools, halls, receptions, retirement villages, nursing homes, hospitals, medical centres, office buildings etc.

Got to hand it to the Chinese - when they say they will do something fast they do.

If predictions are that we will run out of beds then there should already be works underway to get emergency facilities online ASAP.

I heard they were even asking retired nurses and other medical practitioners to be on standby for a possible request to help.

Only issue will be the supply of actual hardware needed (beds etc) and people power.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote