View Single Post
Old 24-10-2020, 01:29 AM   #20
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Engine build advice - general

Hi guys,
Thanks for the tip, but no it doesn't have liners. I have seen some stores sell liners, but that must just be for machining out severely damaged blocks.

Yes I have some photos, will try to upload them one day.
I'm a bit slow, I have installed the crank and torqued up the lower deck.

I grabbed the oil pump and was about to install it, but found it had seized. A bearing or bushing on the shaft that was stuck, so I ordered a new complete pump $150,

I also ordered a new 4.2kW starter this week from UK, $350 incl. shipping.

I grabbed the 'spacer' between the flywheel and crank and was about to install it, but found that it had pitting corrosion where the rear seal runs, so I ordered a new one from Rouse Hill Tractors for $ 70. They will order that from their supplier in UK.

(Alternatively, I could have gotten a stainless steel 'seal sleeve' or what you should call them from the industrial bearing shop, and pressed onto the damaged seal surface). Since the new original 'spacer' was cheap I chose that instead of a patch job. If it had been a typical engine where the rear seal goes against the crank itself then it would have made sense to use the repair sleeve.

I spent probably an hour flushing out grub and rust flakes from the oil gallery inside the hollow camshaft. That must have had water in it. Obviously it could have fatal consequences if there are particles left in there, as they could clog up oil supply to the camshaft bearing surfaces. (The cam runs directly in the block, without bearing shells). I'm counting on my finger tips if I should drill out one of the blind plugs in the end of the camshaft, in order to mechanically scrape out any remaining flakes from the inside of the camshaft, but then I would need to find a suitable plug again to hammer back in. It looks like JCB have used steel balls (same as in ball bearings) to press into each end of the camshaft for sealing the oil gallery.

Other than that, everything is looking very good
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote