View Single Post
Old 27-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #83
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Home Theatre systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Hey Shav,

Looks like I will be going wall mounted speakers aswell as it's a cleaner look.

Where did you purchase the XL's and do you think 2 Midi's for rears would be better suited to the 3 XL's up front or would Mini's be enough for the rear?

Amp is a Yammy RXV-1900

Room is 5 x 3.6

Screen is 70" Sony LCD

Thanks,

George
Hi George

I had a rep here in SA that distributes the DLS brand so I got a good deal. I can PM you the details of the guys if you wish? He will send interstate too. Top bloke and very knowledgeable. I had him over to check out my room and told him what I was after before I ordered to ensure I purchases the correct speakers.

My amp is Yamaha RX-V675

My room if 4.3x4.5

Screen for my room is 70" Sony too.

As for rear speaker choice, the midi's would be fine if you are wanting the look of the speakers to stand out. For my system I wanted the sound to be there but wanted the speakers to blend in, hence why I chose the DLS IW 2.4/2.6 ceiling mounted speakers. http://dls.se/en/home/prod.html?produkt=en_947

I don't think you can go wrong with the sound. The on wall types will be a touch different compared to the in ceiling but overall the quality will be there. Your amp especially will make the most of the sound. My amp is great, I can have the sound between 0 and +5 and the sound will be crystal clear yet still loud and without distortion. I never watch a movie or listen to music at that level of volume (usually about -17 for Bluray and -10 for DVD). Your amp has nearly double the power of mine, so you find the speakers will come into their own so earlier in the volume range.

The position of where the speakers will be mounted is crucial. So be aware of 'reverberation' and sound reflection of adjacent walls. Even a painting on a wall can change the effect of the sound in a room. So choose carefully and do some research on optimum speaker locations based on the speakers you choose.

Are you in SA? If you were, I'b be happy to give you a demo of my sound system.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont