View Single Post
Old 09-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #45
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Diabetes: Discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
Interested to know what you don't like about pumps. I'm not diabetic myself, but both my kids wouldn't be without them. It offers them so much more freedom with how they manage their diabetes.

From the point of view of a father with 2 kids who benefit greatly from pumps, it does intrigue me when i meet people that don't like them. The wife of a guy I ride with is also not a fan. She is a bit older though and pump technology is quite new, relatively speaking so some just don't like change and are very used to the way they have their system.

I have had Diabetes since I was 6, about 29 years. For me, I don't know any different. I can only imagine how hard it would be diagnosed later in life and trying to adapt, in this case a pump goes a long way to making management much easier.

Because of how physically active I am, I don't like the idea of being connected to a pump. I manage good control from blood tests and injections and so have resisted the pump so far. I guess there is some fear of change on my part. As it is, I can always look to pumps when need arises.

It's important to note there is no blanket control of Diabetes, every person will react differently. For example, when the latest crop of long acting insulin's became available, my Endo at the time rushed me onto them. Now for most, this new med was a significant advancement in how a long acting insulin works, being more stable for longer. For me, being so physically active at work, it was just too aggressive and was causing me to have repeated hypos. In the end, I was reverted back to the older med that had a more pronounced peak, meaning it would be dropping off while I was active.

Thanks for the info, it was most certainly valuable and something I will continue to monitor. And also, I can only imagine how hard it would have been bringing up two children with Diabetes. I know how hard it was on my parents with me.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: