View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #31
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving to Work Costs 14k per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
This country has a long way to go in terms of transport infrastructure. The solution isn't for everybody to catch the train, not everyone lives within walking distance from a station, and as we regularly see on the news, late night arrivals at Sydney train stations isn't the safest, with thugs there to rob you or vandalise your car in the carpark. Society needs cleansing, not sure how, but the attitudes of the youth in this country are wrong, consequences for crimes are too weak (unless you're speeding down the motorway, then you cop the harshness of the law), and everyone seems disgruntled and cranky 24/7. Not sure what the solution is, but travel to places like Japan and you'll see how a society should be operating....
My daughter is in Copenhagen for a uni break and the photos she sent this morning are really something else- lots of people walking (and they look pretty thin and healthy) and lots of bike riding- one video showed a close collision between a female cyclist and other cyclist at an intersection between 2 roads in the city.

I realise Australia with big distances has gone car dependent, and it is probably too late to go and deconstruct cities, but there is something in having smaller hubs with mainly walking/bicycles in hubs and perhaps hubs connected by trains/trams etc.

Too late for Australias big cities but still- like Parramatta - try to generate more bicycle use and hub integration.

Just looking at those shots of Copenhagen makes me realise there may be a better way. I mean Melbourne and Western suburbs Sydney just a shocker....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: