View Single Post
Old 19-12-2018, 11:37 PM   #83
Danielbendigo
Starter Motor

Default Re: Just a Survey: How many Kilometers Your Focus has Done?

We've got three in our family

Dad's

What year it is? 2007 (bought new in 2008)
Body type? Hatch
What series? LT
What Variant/badge? CL
What transmission? Automatic
and of course, how many km's did it run? 81,000
Problems? Needed the digital display unit (trip computer/odometer) replaced at around 23,000km under warranty.

Mum's (originally mine, but sold to my mum when I switched to a French car)

What year it is? 2005
Body type? Sedan
What series? LS
What Variant/badge? Ghia
and of course, how many km's did it run? 212,000
Problems? I bought in 2008 at 2.5 years with 97,000km. Trouble free until 155,000km then over next 10,000km replaced rear wheel hub, EGR module, and something else that I can't remember ($3k all up). I sold to my mother after 4 years and 75,000km. When I sold was still on it's original brake pads, and battery had only just been replaced as most of its life was spent on the highway. Transmission has never felt right (just flares a lot), but is getting much worse as it gets on. Clearcoat has worn right off the boot and peeled off mirrors. Despite being well cared for, it now looks and feels every part a 212,000km old car.

Mine

What year it is? 2005
Body type? Hatch
What series? LS
What Variant/badge? CL
and of course, how many km's did it run? 159,000 (I'll be doing 900-1200km a week for at least 6 months)
Problems? Left rear indicator doesn't work (it's started working twice for 3 days), and rear brakes really squeally when reversing. Had to replace engine mount and leaky CV boot for RWC. Transmission definitely flares more than my Dad's one, but not as much as Mum's.

They are great cars, and an absolute bargain (especially at auctions), and they have a reputation in the trade that a lot can go wrong. Although our three have been great. I think the LX is the sweet spot in the range. It gets 4 airbags, ABS (std on LT CL), global opening on the windows (you don't realise how amazing this is until you get another car), cruise, electric windows, alloys and remote controls on the steering column pod for the stereo.

My sister is going to need a new car soon, and while LS/LT Focus's are older than her Getz, they're structurally very sound, come with good safety equipment (except the CL without the safety pack), and are an absolute bargain. We might make it 4 in the family.
Danielbendigo is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: