Thread: Manual Cars
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #15
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Manual Cars

I think the "use case" for manual transmissions is long gone.

The current crop of automatic transmissions actually use less fuel than manual transmissions. It is even so in heavy haulage where 94% of Mack trucks are now delivered with mDrive automated manual transmission.

Automatic transmissions change gears faster than humans. Ferrari and Lamborghini no longer offer manual transmission.

Manual transmissions are a pain to operate in heavy traffic. Automatics are far more easier to drive in difficult situations, including recovering from being bogged.

If would have to be a really bad day to be stuck in an emergency with no other vehicle option other than a manual. But, I am sure you will figure it out if you have to. (For the statistically minded, the combined probability is having an emergency e.g. 0.001% times the probably of being stuck with nothing more than a manual e.g. 0.07%.)

No, I am not saying "don't get a manual licence". Nor am I saying "don't get a manual car". What I am saying is don't get guilt tripped into getting a manual licence if you don't feel comfortable. I know of learner drivers who where delayed in getting their licence because of family/peer pressure to get a manual licence first go. This is silly. Better to get an automatic licence first, clock up a few hundred hours behind the wheel, and then transition across if you really need to. (Much the same as how truck licences are done.)
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
8 users like this post: