View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #41
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Before i go any further, if you can walk from your tent to your car you are glamping, not camping...
Glamping is campings softer cousin.

First thing i would do is whip down to bunnings and buy some plastic sheeting to put down as a drop sheet, i just bought a couple of meters of the orange stuff on a roll, stops any foreign objects from piercing your floor.
Especially if you plan on using those camp stretchers, they are shocking for damaging the floor.
We use self inflating mats, they have insulation to protect from ground cold whilst stowing away compact for travelling, the stretchers never leave the shed these days.

Esky's and ice is the go, one for food and one for drinks as has been said. We freeze coke bottles full of water for a few days before and smash them up. seems to do the job and cheaper than buying ice although we usually end up buying a top up bag if necessary.

I notice your talking National Parks, can i suggest Mt Remarkable National Park.
Its half way between Pt Pirie and Pt Augusta, just past Pt Germein.
Mambray Creek camp ground is about as good as it gets unless you go all the way to Wilpena Pound.

The sites vary in size, many have good fire pits with swing away cook plates and all are within a few minutes walk of free hot showers and toilets.
They have running water at most sites or close by and free bbq's at the trail head.
Talking about trail heads, if bush walking is your thing, not much compares to Mt Remarkable and the numerous walks cater for beginners through to experienced overnighters.
The scenery is spectacular, there is an old shepheards hut about 4k up the creek where i have sat and cooked lunch of snags and pasta for 3 adults and 2 kids in nothing more than a trangia cooker.
If you prefer the beach, Pt Germein is 10 minutes away, we usually take our kayaks and do a bit of both.
You can view and pre pay for sites through the National Parks site, check it out.

A couple of our current set up gear..

In the kayak is me old mate, Bob, ****s mad as a cut snake but he's an early riser and happy to get the bacon sizzling and the pot on so he is this campers best friend.

Last edited by BENT_8; 10-11-2018 at 11:31 AM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: